: Couple Ipod / Blutooth connection Questions

johnnytaboo
03-28-13, 12:40 PM
I've been combing through threads on these subjects, but I can't seem to find a clear answer.

I ordered what I thought was the correct cable to connect apple devices to my V through the center console USB/stereo ports off Fleabay. It was kind of a rushed order at the time. I was mobile most of the day and didn't have a chance to sit down in front of a computer. End result: I see and $8.00 cable on Ebay and figure it's a no-brainer. Cable arrives - and doesn't recognize my ipod nano. The screen informs me that my device is not supported. Anyone else had a negative experience with the Chinese cable?

Also, while I'm kind of on the subject, is there a way to get the display to show the caller ID information when a call is coming in? All the car tells me is "incoming call." It's a little thing, but it's mildly annoying. Not that I screen too many of my calls, but I still like having the option.

I'm going to keep searching the threads, but if anyone knows of any good hacks/mods (other than the streaming audio adapter I've read about) for these systems, I'm all ears.

Input is much appreciated,
John

1997BlackETC
03-28-13, 01:20 PM
I think the phone number is displayed in the DIC display, well at least with a outgoing call, can't remember about incoming. Sounds like you got the wrong cable as far as streaming with the nano, I've heard it said the right one is around 40 bucks or so, but can't remember which one it is, maybe from the apple store? someone else who's done it can chime in. Remember this radio/nav system is from 2008 so not the most advanced up to date unit out there. Probabley the last year for it and it will be retired by gm.

V2 BRAWN
03-28-13, 01:41 PM
I bought the cheap adapter and the interface didn't work on my iPhone 5. I bought an Apple adapter which does work fine.

USAFRET
03-28-13, 01:44 PM
Your V should have come with an ixxx cable, if not you can buy the GM items from Rippy.

Here's a thread from two days ago on this very issue - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/279874-ipod-adapter-cable.html

I oredered mine and it's due today, but I think I'll just use a USB memory stick I have my iTunes library stored on and export my music to the V HHD.

johnnytaboo
03-28-13, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the info. I was curious if my cheap cable was the reason my iPod wouldn't sync. It sound like you had a similar problem V2 Brawn.

Also, USAFRET I think I'll be doing the same thing with the hard drive. Thanks for the idea.

Still curious about how I can get my caller I'd displayed though.

USAFRET
03-28-13, 02:21 PM
Still curious about how I can get my caller I'd displayed though.

I think the phone numbers have to be added manually added to the cars phonebook, than anyone of those numbers will display in the DIC when called.

V2 BRAWN
03-28-13, 08:08 PM
The incoming number does come in to the DIC. My last Lexus the phonebook synched (even on my BB) and you had good caller ID on the touchscreen if the number was in your directory. Unless there's something I don't know, this is a shortcoming.

johnnytaboo
03-29-13, 12:25 PM
You guys are correct: I noticed the phone number on my DIC this morning, but no name associated with it. If entering the phone numbers manually is the only way to have them identified, then so be it. I didn't know I could manually enter phone numbers. Kind of defeats the purpose though.

Also, I'm starting to think that the cheapo cable from China is not wired correctly. Using it, my car won't recognize either of my phones (work/personal) or my Ipod nano. For anyone who happens across this thread, do NOT buy the cheap cable you see on Fleabay.

Topless vette
03-29-13, 09:57 PM
i have no phone numbers programmed in, and every time it rings the number is displaye on the DIC.

1997BlackETC
03-29-13, 10:17 PM
The systems in these cars is pretty basic, does not sound too bad given the right type of signal like a good 3g or 4g signal from my cell phone streaming music via the 3.5 mm jack. I sure do wish there were bluetooth streaming, it would make things a lot more simple and useable, but the system as designed 2008. I test drove a benz a month ago and it was so nice just using my phone via bluetooth when streaming music and having control through the radio and info displayed on the screen, I never even knew my android phone could do that after dealing with the issues of the CTS-V, but the positives of this car outweigh the negitives is how I feel about it at this point.