: Why is the CTS-V the car people love to hate...

RaVeNous
03-28-13, 02:07 AM
Corvette owners hate them because they are just as fast, or almost as fast, but don't stick you in an outdated, subpar cockpit in order to have low 12's. (I drove a C5 for 4 years, all seasons, as my only car. I loved it dearly but let's face it after model year 2000 it needed a new interior, and the 2008 update although a step forward, was still a very short step). Man though a lot of hate for them on corvette forums.

Car magazines and TV shows hate them because they are American. I've read so many reviews where the CTS-V out performed cars in every category, for $20,000-$50,000 less but someone always ended up losing the review. A veritable love hate relationship.

Pony car drag racers hate them because they are a Cadillac, "old man" styling, but irritatingly still faster. They also hate them, because after built motors, ported heads, headers, exhaust, imtakes,stall converters, and maybe even a blower, all the V has to do to catch up is change a pulley.

Wives and girlfriends hate them, because the CTS-V owner is that obsessive car buff, who would rather spend quality time waxing their car, than giving their significant others a back rub.

Liberals hate them because they don't have batteries, and can suck down gas with a heavy foot, and do so with the same ferocity as a gun grabbing, Californian senator brandishing the evil assault rifle.

Neighbors hate them because they sound like a muscle car when you hit autostart at 6:00am during your morning dedication, and come stock with a bose stereo that can bump with the best of the teenage hoopty cars from around the block.

Obviously there are a lot of good reviews too. The car has been an icon for me since 2009 as that balance of comfort, class, power, and polarizing looks. I like the first gen, because it was kind of a refined comfortable F body. The second gen is on another level though proven by its record setting track runs, and poke in the eye like sharp edges aimed at all of its Bohemian competitors.

hulksdaddy
03-28-13, 02:27 AM
I get nothin' but love for my V. I never, and I mean NEVER, stop for gas and not have someone comment how awesome the car is. Black D Batmobile will do that. Plus, the coupe styling is unique, striking, best looking ride on the road IMO.

Car is a phuckin' ROCK STAR.

Kluch
03-28-13, 02:32 AM
Haters love to hate! Lol.

hulksdaddy
03-28-13, 02:35 AM
Sexy beast!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/hulksdaddy/bdvcoupe_zpsadbc0370.jpg

----------

Mad Max'd!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/hulksdaddy/01_ctsvcoupedetroitlive.jpg

neuronbob
03-28-13, 06:38 AM
I have never received even an ounce of hate about this car. Dunno what you are talking about, OP.

My wife understands that I work hard and deserve a toy to have fun with. She grumbles about it occasionally but is thankful that I am loving the car and her rather than another lady.

People of both political persuasions love this car around here...liberals because I kept Americans working during the recession by buying two American cars just when my country needed me to do that the most, and paid my gas guzzler tax; conservatives because I exercised my freedom in mot buying a Prius.

Car mags love this car and who cares what they think anyway?

My neighbors stop in my driveway to gawk at my car, so much so that I keep it in the garage all the time to avoid the fingerprints on the window from curious onlookers.

Bottom line, who cares what others think? I bought the car because I like it. I can't help it if others like it, too. :)

USAFRET
03-28-13, 07:34 AM
I don't know where you live or socialize with but as a charter member of the Corvette Forum (since 1999) and a long time Corvette owner, I can tell you that the vast majority of Vette owners "do not hate" or will dis the V. In fact it garners respect and positive comments. For me I'm attending our local Corvette Clubs Dyno Day.

In the real world I have received nothing but positive comments. Now if you want to own a vehicle that causes folks to go just plain STUPID own a Volt (I do).

So I disagree with your comments and point of view.

RaVeNous
03-28-13, 08:13 AM
I don't know where you live or socialize with but as a charter member of the Corvette Forum (since 1999) and a long time Corvette owner, I can tell you that the vast majority of Vette owners "do not hate" or will dis the V. In fact it garners respect and positive comments. For me I'm attending our local Corvette Clubs Dyno Day.

In the real world I have received nothing but positive comments. Now if you want to own a vehicle that causes folks to go just plain STUPID own a Volt (I do).

So I disagree with your comments and point of view.

Noted, but you really can't disagree with facts, or my personal experience and what I have read. But apparently you have had a different "experience" which is good! But...obviously I'm also being facetious.

Trapspeed
03-28-13, 08:20 AM
I think one of the things that put some mystique behind V2s is that the guy next to you never knows if your modded or not! Could run 12s, could run 10s! ;)

LeeH
03-28-13, 08:59 AM
But...obviously I'm also being facetious.

Yeah, I kinda picked up on that... :D

Random84
03-28-13, 09:23 AM
I've been a long-time member of the CorvetteForum, and the reviews there are mixed: people who want a Corvette-like experience (with seating for 4) love the V and many seem to own both - or go from one platform to the other.

However, there seem to be an equal number of "purists" (typically on the Z06 subforum) that hate the car because it's significantly heavier. There's a kernel of truth to this argument, but the V is a stupendous car for what it is: a ZR1 with a back seat at half the cost.

For everything else, it seems you pretty much have to be at the $100K mark to compare - which of course then gets you into Elitist snob territory where they have to condescendingly hate virtually anyone else's vehicle on principle alone. :D

FWIW, I've never seen a negative review of the V-Wagon, but that's because it's just so damn cool (as a wagon). The playing field is much, much more broad for the Coupe and Sedan, which may explain why some people have differing opinions. For me, I have never seen the appeal of a German interior from an asthetic standpoint - even if that truckload of crap is covered in premium hand-stitched leather.

RaVeNous
03-28-13, 09:24 AM
I think one of the things that put some mystique behind V2s is that the guy next to you never knows if your modded or not! Could run 12s, could run 10s! ;)

Well what is mostly the mystique is most people don't know what the car is.."that's a Cadillac?"
Particularly the coupe, which is even a bit more edgy than the sedan, people who don't know cars, don't know what the heck it is. Ad then there is that.....a Pony car pulls up, perhaps a corvette, and they have no idea if you have the wussy 560hp or used some pocket change and have 800hp underneath. That does have a cool factor because if by some crazy mental block you get bored driving a V2, for $1000 bucks, and relatively safe mods, you're up 100 HP.

musclecar6
03-28-13, 10:14 AM
Good humorous description of our wonderful CTS-V's. I've only had my new 2012 CTS-V sedan for a few months, & I got two compliments yesterday at my nephews high school baseball game, from parents. The V is a cool car & not just for us vette nuts. My other daily driver is a LPE infused 10 GS & it too gets the compliments with its, chrome Maggie supercharger exposed thru the window in the ZR1 style hood. As much as I love the vette, & although it would be hard choice, I would choose the V if I could only have one. It is a fabulous all around fun, comfortable ride. Price being no object, I would still choose the V over anything else ( M5, Panamera Turbos S, etc). The V has a "cool" factor, just like a vette, missing from the others( I've owned the "others", E-39 M5, 996TT, Dinan supercharged E-36 M-3 ). Course I'm just a lifelong vette junkie, so it's to be expected.

Random84
03-28-13, 10:21 AM
Good humorous description of our wonderful CTS-V's. I've only had my new 2012 CTS-V sedan for a few months, & I got two compliments yesterday at my nephews high school baseball game, from parents. The V is a cool car & not just for us vette nuts. My other daily driver is a LPE infused 10 GS & it too gets the compliments with its, chrome Maggie supercharger exposed thru the window in the ZR1 style hood. As much as I love the vette, & although it would be hard choice, I would choose the V if I could only have one. It is a fabulous all around fun, comfortable ride. Price being no object, I would still choose the V over anything else ( M5, Panamera Turbos S, etc). The V has a "cool" factor, just like a vette, missing from the others( I've owned the "others", E-39 M5, 996TT, Dinan supercharged E-36 M-3 ). Course I'm just a lifelong vette junkie, so it's to be expected.

You mind posting up a few photos of the Corvette? I'd love to see what that Maggie under a ZR1-style hood looks like.

Xaqtly
03-28-13, 01:05 PM
Yesterday a guy on a sportbike was hanging out behind me as I was driving home, then he pulled up next to me, and gave me a series of very enthusiastic thumbs ups. Some people know what it is and like it, and the some don't. I like it, and that's really all that matters.

HUGN*RDS
03-28-13, 01:08 PM
I've received quite a few compliments about my V sedan and all kidding aside I thoroughly enjoy the car. It's comfortable, quiet, powerful and handles good. Only drawback is some of my friends who I thought I was friends with turned out to be stupid jealous and ego-filled to the point that we don't talk any more. It's a shame someones who I called my friends for so long actually think that I'm a full blown prick now that I drive this [baller] car. What's even funnier is these "friends" of mine haven't even seen the car themselves yet. It's also a shame what jealousy does to people; it shouldn't matter what I drive, I don't care what they drive, and I'm not rubbing in my 500hp to their face. Just seems like once I took ownership I fell into a stereotype car owner which I didn't even think existed and people think I'm trying to impress everyone but really I wanted a nice car for myself and it had to be the 500hp model cause that's what I like.
#newfriends

neuronbob
03-28-13, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I kinda picked up on that... :D

I picked up on it too, a litle late. Still like what I said, though.

People really do leave fingerprints on the windows some days from their peeking in the car. No doubt, they are trying to see if it's a stick or automatic. Either that, or they want to steal my stuff, of which I leave none in the car....

jsherid1
03-28-13, 04:05 PM
One of the things I love about my wagon is that people who don't know any better are easily ambushed and those who know what the car is go nuts for it. I bought the car to amuse myself vs. anyone else.