: Wait for the 2014 or get a 2013 now?

WBRCobra
03-27-13, 07:55 PM
I've made the decision that I'm going to be moving from my E55 AMG Mercedes to the CTS-V. If you were me, would you wait for the 2014 to arrive or get a 2013 sooner? I assume they'll start dropping the price on the '13 models fairly soon if they haven't already. I like the overall look of the '14, but not in love with the rear, which I assume will grow on me over time. If the 2014 V ends up being 200 lbs lighter like the regular CTS, that's a big plus for me. Everybody loves a deal, which may be an advantage of the '13 (or I may even look at a slightly used '12 model). I plan to do mods for about 750 hp. What do you think?:hmm:

V2 BRAWN
03-27-13, 08:24 PM
I *think* the LSA is not going to be available in the 'new' V. You get the old V2 with LSA (for as long as the production run goes in to 2014) or top hp of 420 w/ twin turbo V6.

JKG
03-27-13, 08:26 PM
at this point it is very unclear if there will be a 2014 V at all, and what it will be is also unclear. Given that GM is updating the V8 engines to direct injection, you might have to wait and see what comes out in the camaro and corvette first. I think GM is revealing the 2014 camaro this week, so that may give you an indication

CoppeR
03-27-13, 10:20 PM
My dealer keeps telling me the current body style of the V will continue in the 2014 while the regular cts is launched.
It's unknown if there will b a coupe for the' 14-'15 body style so I ordered a '13 b4 they dropped any more colors

1997BlackETC
03-27-13, 10:21 PM
I saw a couple brand new 2012's on a dealer lot the other day for around 61 grand with recaros and loaded. Thats like a 13K savings and a deal. I'd go for something like that if I were you.

pat2t2f
03-27-13, 10:25 PM
I'd go for a bird in the hand. You know what is offered now.. The future is still speculative.

Jinx
03-27-13, 11:50 PM
If there's a 2014 CTS-V, it'll be a carryover of the V2. If you're waiting for the next generation CTS-V, you could have a long wait.

Notice we haven't seen the ATS-V yet, fourteen months after the ATS was unveiled. What's the next high-profile auto show where it might debut? Anything before LA in November?

The next CTS-V will share a powerplant (mostly) with the expected supercharged Z06/ZR1 level Corvette. They're still a few months away from selling the first Corvette Stingray, nevermind announcing a bigger brother, nevermind actually producing one. I don't think these performance-variant dominoes are going to fall on a 12-months-later schedule like most folks expect; I think GM will stretch it out, as long as the base cars get good press and customers like them.

And if you already have a hefty power upgrade target in mind, consider that the next-generation motor will have to be cracked and folks will have to learn how to wring more out of it. I would think anybody looking for big mods would grab the proven car with the proven powerplant, unless they really like the idea of being that bleeding-edge guy.

.Jinx

baabootoo
03-27-13, 11:56 PM
I'd jump in now brother.........

yaymitch
03-28-13, 01:08 AM
Most trade rags are saying 2015 model year before any new CTS-V will be produced (i.e. Edmunds, Car and Driver, etc.). For whatever that's worth.

IBMike
03-28-13, 01:43 AM
Can't add much to the replies above. If you want a proven performer now, go for it! If you want the V3, at best it'll be a year before it is available and then who knows how long to come up with reliable mods.

Harry_Wild
03-28-13, 02:23 AM
I heard that the Vsport will come out next year - 2015!

IBMike
03-28-13, 04:02 AM

The Vsport will be the model with the twin turbo, not THE V.

neuronbob
03-28-13, 06:52 AM

As I've said, the nomenclature will confuse people until it is as established as the M and M sport from BMW. I have heard and read multiple comments of this type.

It could work to Cadillac's favor as low information car buyers think they are getting an actual V car when they are buying a V sport. It could be Cadillac's way of dealing with not having a CTS-V for a year. Good business sense, I suppose.

Can't wait for the first person this fall to post in the V forum, "I've got a V!" And the pics show the V sport badge.

Mongopush
03-28-13, 07:31 AM
I'm always a little hesitant to buy any new model year vehicle , especially one with speculation of new motor, trans , and nav system. I would get a nice new 12,or 13 and enjoy.

Random84
03-28-13, 10:53 AM
I'm always a little hesitant to buy any new model year vehicle , especially one with speculation of new motor, trans , and nav system. I would get a nice new 12,or 13 and enjoy.

This.

It might be 2-3 years before a true V-series variant is introduced, and a lot can happen between now and then (the HP wars will eventually end).

I'd buy now to enjoy; you can always trade in/up in 3 years IF you like what you see. IMHO it's unlikely there will be a CTS-V carry over into 2014 (but I was looking at wagons) and the next-gen will probably not be on showroom floors until mid-to-late 2015 best case scenario.

I'm completely guessing though, just like everyone else. :D

RippyPartsDept
03-28-13, 11:23 AM
The V-series comes out the following model year after a bodystyle change

therefore, if GM doesn't change their timing/schedule we should get a V-series in 2014 as a 2015 model ... it will be announced at next years autoshows and in 12 months from now we will know all about it

between now and then it's all about the hype

V2 BRAWN
03-28-13, 01:59 PM
With the ever-increasing CAFE standards. I don't see how GM can continue to offer the gas guzzling LSA in any unlimited production vehicle. Just my opinion....

Jinx
03-28-13, 02:28 PM
The LSA will be gone soon, and the LT1-based replacement will be incrementally more efficient.

If they charge enough it becomes self-limiting.

Trapspeed
03-28-13, 02:50 PM
Jump now. You won't regret it.

WBRCobra
03-29-13, 12:34 AM
Based on all the feedback, I am looking for a deal on a new or slightly used 2012. Then, in a year or two I'll consider the new V or possibly consider getting back into an AMG. I really like the new E63 AMG-S bi-turbo which is coming soon with all wheel drive. I just don't want to spend that kind of money for a brand new one.

pat2t2f
03-29-13, 06:04 PM
The EPA is trying to initiate new smog restrictions on vehicles. I say get while the getting is good. This horsepower war may be short lived and soon it could be the mid 70's again where 200 HP is a big deal.

neuronbob
03-29-13, 08:30 PM
The new mileage rules spurred my original V purchase. The new smog laws will cause me to keep my current V. I agree with what you are saying, pat. My next car will probably be something much more fuel efficient, but I will do the best I can to keep the V part of my toy gallery, I mean, fleet.