: 2004 CTS-V - Bought 4 months ago, what first?

Equillian
03-27-13, 06:31 PM
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.523250947687003.123722.100000063070992&type=3

There.s some pictures of the car we're talking about. I'm really proud of her, but I'd like to turn it into "my" car. I'm a tech guy, not necessarily a performance driver. I do tend to gun it off the line, and get up to speed fast, but nothing over 85mph (I think 92 was the fastest I've gone so far). That said, I'm looking for ideas. Here's what's wrong with it:

72k miles.
Hood pin (near window) rattles on driver's side
Rear airbag panels are kinda falling down.
it TELLS me everytime I start it up to check the oil, but I have, and it's fine.
Driver side rear wheel panel has been chewed up, like someone took a grinder to the well (about 1inch x 6inch along the wheel well)

Other than that, it runs pretty sweet. It's peppy, and doesn't complain no matter how bad I'm driving it.

I also would REALLY like to replace the stereo with something touchpad, then maybe a good tuning, and eventually, some "throatier" exhaust.

What order, or more importantly, what would you guys do first? Something I haven't thought of?

OneFast V
03-27-13, 07:00 PM
After you replace what I would guess is a bad oil level sensor, my first mods would be: motor mounts (CS, revshift or UMI), diff bushing (CS or revshift), LS7 clutch+ flywheel (lindsay cadillac), short shifter (Pissnuoff, katech, UUC, others) , Revshift rear cradle bushings and finally Gforce axles. These should get your car to feel like a much more put together stock V1.

Equillian
03-28-13, 01:45 PM
I'm not a car-buff (yet). What will I see from changing out the motor mounts?

rand49er
03-28-13, 02:01 PM
First thing? Shifter. Do your shifter.

OneFast V
03-28-13, 02:34 PM
I'm not a car-buff (yet). What will I see from changing out the motor mounts?

The motor mounts from the factory are notorious for leaking and going bad very quickly. Replacing them will help eliminate any clunking you may experience when getting on or off the power. They will essentially properly limit the extent of the motion of the engine in the engine bay. Makes driving the car feel 100% better.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3woqorElI2A/Ttz6W0z2OYI/AAAAAAAAANo/_a_K7hBwGqw/w480-h480/IMAG0151.jpg

Here are my Motor mounts after I replaced them, absolutely shot. That brown dust you see? That used to be a liquid inside used to provide cushioning.

Equillian
03-28-13, 05:58 PM
... clunking you may experience when getting on or off the power.

Ooh! I have this! Lots of jerky-ness when I lay into it switching gears... come to think of it, even when I'm not.

OneFast V
03-28-13, 06:58 PM
Ooh! I have this! Lots of jerky-ness when I lay into it switching gears... come to think of it, even when I'm not.

If you do the motor mounts, Diff mount and clutch you should get rid of 99% of that.

danrob0123
03-29-13, 01:30 PM
Those rear airbag panels are called rear sail panels. I had the same problem and had them replaced by the dealer. With a screwdriver you can pry off the plastic piece that says "air bag", there's a nut you need to take off behind that piece that you take off to remove the panels

J W
03-29-13, 01:52 PM
Welcome

Manseeno
03-29-13, 04:31 PM
First thing I did when I got mine (almost a year-ago) was change the rear diff fluid (to Redline+GM friction modifier) followed by all other fluids....assuming you changed all fluids already, go for the shifter like Rand49er suggests :-)

branland
03-29-13, 06:35 PM
You'll be leaving 92 far behind shortly. It's an addiction.

Welcome.

Equillian
03-30-13, 01:22 AM
wow! lots of advice! This is great!

carlson_mn
03-30-13, 02:06 AM
welcome, in time I plan to do mm's, the rear diff bushing, and trailing arm bushings as well. Right now I get too much wiggle from the car when making transitions, especially at low speeds. I think that's just how the car is stock, but getting some stout mounts installed should fix this. Good advice from all the other owners here.

JDB
03-30-13, 04:03 PM
Motor mounts, trans mount, rear diff bushing (and block). Change all fluids especially clutch and rear diff. CAGS eliminate. Short shifter. Snip the pin for those stupid orange DRLs. Better alignment than factory settings....add more camber and less toe. Muffler delete and add tips.

Then open your wallet and start mod'ing.

Equillian
04-05-13, 01:47 PM
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CE-109054&Store_Code=LPE&search=cags&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=#.UV8AFZPvtqU

thats the eliminator, yeah?

That's not going to stop me from putting it into reverse on the highway thinking I'm going into 5th, is it?

OneFast V
04-05-13, 02:20 PM
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CE-109054&Store_Code=LPE&search=cags&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=#.UV8AFZPvtqU

thats the eliminator, yeah?

That's not going to stop me from putting it into reverse on the highway thinking I'm going into 5th, is it?

No it will only eliminate the 1>4 lockout, not the reverse lockout at speed.

mackey
04-05-13, 05:50 PM
I also would REALLY like to replace the stereo with something touchpadfew people have done this with the multitude of double DIN head units available and mine (parrot asteroid smart) should be coming in next week.

you can check this thread for info on the parrot:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v/1625045-looking-parrot-asteroid-smart-headunit.html

if you love to tinker with electronics, this will be your bag.