: 2000 DHS - cooling system problems

jermaine haynes
03-27-13, 04:43 PM
My cooling system won't release pressure off system and hoses get really big like ready to explode... When I drive it the next day I have to add water to system before i leave cause the pressure pushed all fluid out... Why

vincentm
03-27-13, 05:05 PM
Stuck thermostat?

Submariner409
03-27-13, 05:30 PM
Stuck pressure cap ???

BUT ........ what is causing the gross overpressure in the first place. ???

Either rent one of these from a large auto parts store chain or get it online from www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis75500.html (http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis75500.html)

Ranger
03-27-13, 08:44 PM
:yeah:

jermaine haynes
03-28-13, 02:38 PM
Stuck thermostat?

eBay or dealer?

Ranger
03-28-13, 02:43 PM
Thermostats are pretty reliable and would be my last suspect, but you can pick one up at any parts store.

jermaine haynes
03-29-13, 05:26 PM
I checked purge line and I have a steady flow going to grab a new thermostat from dealer or napa

Manic Mechanic
03-29-13, 08:09 PM
Just make sure which ever one you end up with has jiggle or little ball bearing (BB) check valve on it so that you never have any problems purging air pockets from the system. Most aftermarket low cost thermostats don't have them. I recommend you get an AC Delco part# ACD 131-128 from a dealer or an AC Delco parts house.

Vernon

Submariner409
03-31-13, 10:17 AM
For reference ..........

jermaine haynes
04-16-13, 05:55 PM
Will blue devil work in North Star engine?

CadillacLuke24
04-16-13, 07:40 PM
Will blue devil work in North Star engine?

NO.

It is a TEMPORARY FIX, and will make the engine a mess for whoever fixes it, if that's the issue. If it doesn't make a mess, it WILL RUIN the engine.

Ranger
04-16-13, 08:59 PM
:tisk: None of that snake oil (mechanic in a bottle) will work.

jermaine haynes
04-16-13, 09:04 PM
I have a crack in my water crossover and shop told me they can't run a pressure test until it get fixed... But once they fixed that they will run the test and find out if the heads are bad and I would waste $400

Ranger
04-16-13, 09:13 PM
Heads are never the problem. Head gaskets are another story.

jermaine haynes
04-16-13, 10:49 PM
:tisk: None of that snake oil (mechanic in a bottle) will work.

I'm willing to try anything b4 I buy a motor cuz money is tight right now

jermaine haynes
04-17-13, 05:19 AM
If the mechanic don't want me to waste my money on fixing the water crosser cause they is a chance I might have some head damage why shouldn't I try I don't have a lot of option right now?

Ranger
04-17-13, 11:21 AM
You don't "buy a motor". You repair the had bolt threads and replace the HG (still not cheap). Heads do not crack and I have never heard of a cracked crossover either. That doesn't mean it's not possible. You might want to get a second opinion.

You won't be the first to ignore the snake oil warnings, but consider yourself forewarned. Do some searching. It's all in the archives.

vincentm
04-17-13, 11:51 AM
I'm willing to try anything b4 I buy a motor cuz money is tight right now

Say bye bye to your heater core and radiator then. Oh and your purge line too.

jermaine haynes
04-19-13, 05:14 AM
So what should I do?

stoveguyy
04-19-13, 09:58 AM
Please explain WHAT your problem is? You have to add coolant? The system is sealed. Yes the pressure rises as motor get hot but it than cools down when you shut off car. There is no "release" of pressure happening here. I think you are not exactly following what shop is telling you. The problem seems to be coolant loss? So, bad radiator cap may cause system to boil over? Stuck thermostat may cause overheating? Did shop say your coolant crossover gaskets are leaking? That could be reason for fluid loss. Your waterpump could be leaking. Do you have external leak in engine compartment? Can shop show you?

jermaine haynes
04-19-13, 12:58 PM
I changed out the radiator cap already... Got it flushed out and no boiling out but I have steam from water pump area when start running hot

stoveguyy
04-19-13, 01:41 PM
Ok. Waterpump area means leaking waterpump, loose hose, leaky coolant crossover gaskets. You take off the air box and perhaps some of the plenum ducting and can usually see this area fairly well to eyeball any leaks.

jermaine haynes
04-19-13, 03:03 PM
How would I know if my head gasket is blown?

----------

Ok. Waterpump area means leaking waterpump, loose hose, leaky coolant crossover gaskets. You take off the air box and perhaps some of the plenum ducting and can usually see this area fairly well to eyeball any leaks.

I already replace the seals on the water pump

stoveguyy
04-19-13, 04:22 PM
If motor is overheating you should determine if that is true by doing a block test. Use the chemical strips that detect exhaust gas in the surge tank air space.

jermaine haynes
04-19-13, 10:37 PM
No smoke from tail pipe or moister at all