: Is this steering effect normal?

hiltonny
03-27-13, 02:46 PM
I just bought a 2008 STS-V and the steering seems odd. After steering in a sharp turn at low speeds like 25-35 mph the steering wheel doesn't return when I let it, the car continues in the turn. It feels as if the car has variable ratio steering where the ratio increases the more the wheel is turned and after a certain degree of steering wheel turn it becomes neutral there. There was a long sweeper off an expressway today where the car stayed on the curve without any input. Straight line driving is fine. Is this normal or does it need an alignment?

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-27-13, 03:15 PM
hiltonny,
Congratulations on your new STS-V! Do you think you'll be getting this steering oddity evaluated to see if it is a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle? Let us know if you decide to work with a dealership as we're available to assist however we can.
Sarah, Cadillac Customer Service

todrules
03-28-13, 12:36 AM
I have had a minor intermittent issue with mine since I've owned it too. I have had it to 2 different dealers at least 8 times and nothing has ever been found wrong. Go figure now that my extended warranty is up I'm sure the dealer will want to replace the steering rack.

carter's_sts
03-28-13, 10:13 AM
I've not noticed what you're talking about unless it's a banked turn. Doesn't sound quite right from your description.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-28-13, 12:36 PM
I have had a minor intermittent issue with mine since I've owned it too. I have had it to 2 different dealers at least 8 times and nothing has ever been found wrong. Go figure now that my extended warranty is up I'm sure the dealer will want to replace the steering rack.

Keep us posted if you take your vehicle to the dealership. We will be happy to assist with any questions or concerns!

Thank you,
Caron, Cadillac Customer Service

----------

Keep us posted if you take your vehicle to the dealership. We will be happy to assist with any questions or concerns!

Thank you,
Caron, Cadillac Customer Service