: poping sound when changing directions

Gomaz
03-27-13, 09:42 AM
Hello gang,
I noticed that when backing up (lets say out of a parking space) and then placing the car in drive there is a poping sound on the 1st press of the break. after the 1st pop i don't hear it anymore. Seems like it the car is moving fwd and i change direction it pops, same if im moving backwards for the 1st time it pops. sounds like its comming from the front end

grullon10
03-27-13, 02:27 PM
Is the sound happening when you move the steering wheel. If it is it may be coming from one of the strock mount.

----------

Or one of front spring is of center.

Mr.electric
03-27-13, 03:15 PM
Brake pads moving in the caliper cause that sound sometimes. If that is the cause it is nothing to worry about.

Gomaz
03-28-13, 07:32 AM
not when moving the steering wheel just when changing directions and pressing the brake.

----------

Brake pads moving in the caliper cause that sound sometimes. If that is the ca use it is nothing to worry about. I hop ethat is all it is. So i would just tighten the caliper or should i take it in to have a garage do it?

MoistCabbage
03-28-13, 09:19 AM
Not a loose caliper, moving brake pads. Possibly a loose or missing pad retainer.

Dadillac
03-28-13, 09:54 PM
Could very well be a loose wheel. Sounds unlikely but this happened to my boss a few years ago. He did a brake job on his '08 CTS. He snugged up one wheel but forgot to tighten the lug nuts. Asked me to figure out why he was hearing a light banging noise when changing from reverse to drive and from drive to reverse. I first thought of a loose or missing caliper bolt. But when I went to remove one of his front wheels the lug nuts were very loose. Check it out it just might solve your problem.

Don

Mr.electric
03-30-13, 09:41 AM
After numerous brake jobs the shims that take up the space around the pad loose their springiness. I would call it more of a click noise. If that is your issue and you want to address it then you need a shim kit. Probably about $30 aftermarket.
Hard to think of a way to narrow down the possibilities unless you want to really spend time checking. Like jack up the car and twist the front wheel in alternating directions when the brake is depressed.
If it is really a clunk then a collapsed motor / trans mount could be the culprit.
To check open the hood then brake + gas forward then brake + gas in reverse while someone watches the engine. If the engine moves like 4-5 inches in the engine bay and clunks then there is a collapsed mount.

Gomaz
05-23-13, 08:14 PM
sorry to take so long to reply but i got the brake replaced on front and rear and the sound is gone.