: 96 FWB won't move...what could it be?

oldcaddybuyer
03-26-13, 09:56 PM
So I got my gray FWB back from the mechanic. He said the rear end had very little lube, so he added some and told me to drive the car awhile because it needed to be driven. Drove her to Myrtle Beach and back this weekend. No issues. Running errands around town today (ironically to some auto parts stores) I noticed the rear end was making a noise. It wasn't loud, just a noticeable noise especially when taking off from a full stop. It was a friction type noise/feeling like something was rubbing. It didn't feel like slipping. So I left the parts store and was in the left turn lane headed home.

The light turned green and I hit the gas...the engine revved but she wouldn't budge. No loud bang or anything. No warning lights. No problem with the engine. I shifted gears several times: no change. Since it was rush hour (exactly 5pm when this happened) and I was holding up the left hand turn lane at a busy intersection, there was a Sheriff's Deputy behind me in no time with lights on.

I got out and looked under the car: nothing hanging down; no fluid visible. I started the car again and she moved a few feet and stopped again. Now I was in the intersection so the police pushed me into a nearby gas station. She was towed to the Cadillac dealer but they were closed for the day so I have to wait until tomorrow for them to check it out.

Any thoughts on what it might be? Universal? Torque Converter? Trans?

amunderdog
03-26-13, 10:15 PM
did you check the transmission fluid level?

jayoldschool
03-26-13, 10:34 PM
It's going to be transmission. For sure, check the fluid. No reverse as well? If yes, low on fluid or broken pump. If it was rear end that was bad enough to not move, you would hear nasty noises when you tried to accelerate. If the rear was low, you have a leak. Yoke seal or one of the axles. It should be obvious.

This thread may help with diagnosis:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=252695

oldcaddybuyer
03-26-13, 10:47 PM
I haven't checked the fluid. I've seen no leaks. Called the mechanic and he said it was full of clean, bright fluid when he checked it. I think its the pump since I've got no action in any gear. The way it will work just a little when you first start then die off makes me think that. I read some other threads and came across this:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f13/4l60e-problems-and-solutions-297698/

21. No movement in any gear: pump failure, or total loss of fluid. R&R, or refill pan and find the leak. If out of fluid, avoid running the engine until the trans is refilled to avoid pump damage. To check for pump failure, check fluid level with the engine off, then start the engine and recheck fluid level. If level does not go down when engine is running, the pump is broken.

----------

It's going to be transmission. For sure, check the fluid. No reverse as well? If yes, low on fluid or broken pump. If it was rear end that was bad enough to not move, you would hear nasty noises when you tried to accelerate. If the rear was low, you have a leak. Yoke seal or one of the axles. It should be obvious.

This thread may help with diagnosis:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=252695

Thanks for that link! I think its this:

Whining sound from front of trans, shifts are sloppy: could be low on fluid or the pump is dying. Check fluid. If fluid level is okay, start making plans to park the car somewhere safe so you can get it towed, order a rental. CAUTION: You have may have as little as 4 miles before you completely lose the trans! Will need a rebuild.

Turned to this:

Loss of all gears: either no fluid or broken pump. Check for broken pump by checking fluid level with engine off, then start engine and check fluid level again. If no change in fluid level, then either the pump is bad or the filter fell off (if you have a deep pan and didn't setup the filter accordingly). Also, check your shift linkage.

BigCadMan_1
03-27-13, 05:39 AM
What! Did't you just buy this car?

oldcaddybuyer
03-27-13, 02:33 PM
What! Did't you just buy this car?

Yep. Exactly a month ago. Service Manager called me this morning. It needs a rebuild but he said a new one from GM is cheaper than rebuilding. I expected him to say that. New one comes with a 3 year warranty.

Normally I'd be pissed, but since I have no intention to ever get rid of the car it doesn't bother me. I expected the tranny to last longer than 136k but who knows how long it was neglected. Since the fluid was fresh I suspect a trans flush was done recently. That probably didn't help.

Poda
03-27-13, 04:40 PM
Don't feel too bad.. Mine gave up the ghost at 110k miles - got the PO to thank for lack of maintenance.. Conversely, I swapped in a tranny with 160k in, fresh out of another car to tide me over except for a new torque convertor, and it's still going strong. Go figure.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
03-27-13, 05:15 PM
Just be ready for the dealership price,hold on to something when they quate you lol

cadillac kevin
03-27-13, 06:32 PM
Just be ready for the dealership price,hold on to something when they quate you lol

This....I'd bet their new trans will be 3k+ installed.

oldcaddybuyer
03-27-13, 07:22 PM
Don't feel too bad.. Mine gave up the ghost at 110k miles - got the PO to thank for lack of maintenance.. Conversely, I swapped in a tranny with 160k in, fresh out of another car to tide me over except for a new torque convertor, and it's still going strong. Go figure.

Eh I'm not worried about it really. I rather go ahead with a new one than take the chance of a used trans going sour again anytime soon. Hope yours has many more miles left.

I told em I expected no issues plus dinner and a good time at these prices.

This....I'd bet their new trans will be 3k+ installed.

3k is exactly right.

stoveguyy
03-28-13, 11:57 AM
ANY shop can put in a used trans in a rwd car. Neighbor had his broughm up on stands in driveway for 6 months. Car is finally gone. Yes, new trans is problem free but $$.

BigCadMan_1
03-28-13, 06:24 PM
What did you pay for this car you just bought less than a month ago?

silverfox103
03-29-13, 09:22 AM
"oldcaddybuyer" sorry to hear of your tranny problems. I own a 94 Caprice Wagon, a 94 Roadmaster Wagon and a 96 Fleetwood. When I see tranny's available, I pick them up. I had two for the 94's, but had to use one when I had one let go 700 miles from home.

I just last week picked up one for the 96 Fleetwood. Hate to tell you this part. We live in NH, but when down to visit the two oldest who live in Atlanta. I hopped on CL, and there it was: this man had a tree fall on his 96 FW w/ 46K on it. He sold the engine but not the tranny. The first ad I saw for the tranny was for $450, then dropped to $300. I called him and offered $200. Sold.

Tom C.

stoveguyy
03-29-13, 11:16 AM
Did u drive from nh to atl? So u hauled used trans home?

silverfox103
03-29-13, 12:20 PM
That is correct, I had my RMW with me.

BigCadMan_1
03-29-13, 12:23 PM

I only ask because if you paid over five grand I would think you have some legal recourse from the previous owner.

jayoldschool
03-29-13, 03:09 PM
Tom and I think the same way. I keep spare transmissions, too. Sold one to Poda. I haven't needed one, but when I do, I'll be ready. They fit easily in the trunk, btw, and can be lifted by two people without issue.

silverfox103
03-29-13, 03:27 PM
Tom and I think the same way. I keep spare transmissions, too. Sold one to Poda. I haven't needed one, but when I do, I'll be ready. They fit easily in the trunk, btw, and can be lifted by two people without issue.

Jason has seen my cellar, unfortunately I keep spares of lots of things.

Tom

jayoldschool
03-29-13, 06:36 PM
I think that is fortunate, not unfortunate. I think Tom's cellar looks great!

oldcaddybuyer
03-29-13, 07:13 PM

4k on 23 Feb.

"oldcaddybuyer" sorry to hear of your tranny problems. I own a 94 Caprice Wagon, a 94 Roadmaster Wagon and a 96 Fleetwood. When I see tranny's available, I pick them up. I had two for the 94's, but had to use one when I had one let go 700 miles from home.

I just last week picked up one for the 96 Fleetwood. Hate to tell you this part. We live in NH, but when down to visit the two oldest who live in Atlanta. I hopped on CL, and there it was: this man had a tree fall on his 96 FW w/ 46K on it. He sold the engine but not the tranny. The first ad I saw for the tranny was for $450, then dropped to $300. I called him and offered $200. Sold.

Tom C.

Wow that was a steal. I thought about searching for a used one but didn't want the hassle of locating one, possibly having to pull it, haul it back, then tow the car to another shop to have it installed. I don't have the tools or set-up to do it myself. I work 50+ hours a week and pursuing a masters degree right now so time is really tight. Stocking used parts is something I will start doing as well.

I only ask because if you paid over five grand I would think you have some legal recourse from the previous owner.

Bought it from a dealer. No warranty. Not sure there is any recourse available at this point. I know its a gamble when you buy a used car but I didn't expect the trans to quit after only 1200 miles of ownership. It didn't give much warning just went suddenly and quietly.

----------

I did see a few on Ebay but would be taking a chance on the condition and reliability of those.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Automatic-Transmission-Tested-Good-/300841511440?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1996|Make%3ACadillac|Model%3AFleetwood&hash=item460b8d2a10&vxp=mtr

Ya'll still think I should get a used one and have a trans shop install?

oldcaddybuyer
04-08-13, 07:38 PM
New transmission is installed. She drives great and shifts smooth. Now I can get back to detailing :excited:

Cadillacboy
04-09-13, 02:32 PM
Cool , I am glad you got it sorted out , now it's our rides turn lol

Poda
04-09-13, 03:33 PM
I think that is fortunate, not unfortunate. I think Tom's cellar looks great!

That tranny's still going strong :) Like you guys, keeping the old as a spare that I have yet to rebuild. At this point, probably a project to keep me busy next winter.

You'd love my garage.. and basement.. ;) That said, I got a ton of it off you, but I've added since. Wife's not too happy about the amount of room it all takes up, but.. Meh..

Next up? Spare Fleetwood in the driveway.

turbojimmy
04-09-13, 10:47 PM

I'm glad I kept that Roadmaster wagon around after the tree fell on it. It is now the donor transmission for the limo. I kept the LT1 around, too, just in case :)

For the record, the 4L60E can be lifted by one person though with some issues. Back pain appears either immediately or within a couple of hours depending on how high you need to lift it.

talismandave
04-09-13, 10:51 PM
...and how old the lifer!