: Turbo whistle..

Stevo Supremo
03-26-13, 08:48 PM
I've heard a few cars with turbo's whistle under light throttle and sounds like a tea kettle under WOT.. not a blow off, but a whistling sound.

how does it make that sound? can the 2.0T's in our cars make that sound?

RxATS
03-27-13, 01:39 AM
I loved the way my old Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX whistled when shifting gears but suspected Cadillac would be too classy to emphasize this obnoxious noise. This was a big reason why I went ahead picked the 3.6L, even though I really do miss the manual transmission.

Dblhelx
03-27-13, 02:43 AM
That's noise is a turbo spooling. Intake and exhaust will help make it louder.

Siren05
03-27-13, 07:48 AM
Or turbo spinning

Stevo Supremo
03-27-13, 08:27 AM
I loved the way my old Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX whistled when shifting gears but suspected Cadillac would be too classy to emphasize this obnoxious noise. This was a big reason why I went ahead picked the 3.6L, even though I really do miss the manual transmission.

lol I'd love it if it spooled loudly, such an awesome sound. I was looking at the 3.6 as well, but then the dealer told me I cant get it with a manual and that was a deal breaker.

gfxbt
03-27-13, 11:01 AM
Agreed - turbo spool noise sounds cool. You don't get a lot of it with our cars, but there is some. I notice it most around 3,000 - 4,000 rpm under moderate throttle input. It seems if you lay into it too hard, the exhaust noise overpowers the sound of the turbo spooling. I had a friend with a Saab 9-5. He upgraded the turbo (this was years ago, but I think it was running mid 20s PSI) and Remus exhaust. The turbo was so loud when it got going that you could hear it over the exhaust. It sounded pretty good. That's the end of my digression. Turbo sounds are cool.

turbo2.0
03-27-13, 11:09 AM
the noise that my turbo makes seems to have gone up since I got the tune done, I assume they uped the boost...

jph
03-27-13, 08:31 PM
i don't have my ats yet, so i'm not sure how the stock intake looks.

if there's a "silencer" on the OEM intake, remove it.
it's a popular mod with the wrx/sti crowd, that lets you hear the turbo spool, and bypass valve.

J.

Stevo Supremo
03-27-13, 08:36 PM
yeah my old Cobalt SS had a silencer, it was a big hunk of plastic baffling, could really hear the supercharger scream after I took it off. I took the ATS airbox lid off and removed the filter and its a pretty narrow tube feeding to the fender, cant see much past that because theres plastic covering EVERYTHING in that engine bay

I wish I could find an "exploded" diagram of the 2.0 intake assembly rather than go pulling everything apart just to realize there is no baffling in there lol.

jph
03-27-13, 09:47 PM
fwiw... the subaru silencer is part of the pre-filter intake path.

J.

Stevo Supremo
03-28-13, 05:00 PM
fwiw... the subaru silencer is part of the pre-filter intake path.

J.

yeah with the cobalt it was to, it was burried in the fender area before the filter.