: Brougham rattle

jamespowers
03-26-13, 07:34 PM

This is my new to me 1986 brougham. For what I got it for I won't complain but it has a few small things wrong with it. One of those being that there is a rattle like metal jingling at the front of the car when I go over bumps. Kind of strange and unsettling at times.
Other than that the engine needs some tuning to run perfect but aside from tough cold starts and I can feel a little vibration like the idle is slightly off. I need to get the antenna working again as it is stuck extended. The passenger side door lock does not work from the driver side lock switch and the display on the radio is out.
I guess minor things but we will see when I get into it.
I am having that oxidized finish detailed too. That dull stuff doesn't work for me. ;)

The Ape Man
03-26-13, 08:06 PM
Hard to tell from here but a few common causes are:

Bad shock absorber upper bushings.

Bad sway bar bushings.

One very easy to check one is rubber hood depth stops. There are 2 up front and two under the cowl. They can dry out and make a really nasty noise on bumbs. A little white lube or even soap will make it stop.

jayoldschool
03-26-13, 08:24 PM
Broken sway bar end link. Easy to spot, easy to change, and cheap!

cadillac kevin
03-26-13, 09:03 PM

Thats what I was thinking, but when mine broke, it was more of a thunking than a jingling.

jamespowers
03-26-13, 09:06 PM

I like cheap and easy fixes. :p

----------

Hard to tell from here but a few common causes are:

Bad shock absorber upper bushings.

Bad sway bar bushings.

One very easy to check one is rubber hood depth stops. There are 2 up front and two under the cowl. They can dry out and make a really nasty noise on bumbs. A little white lube or even soap will make it stop.

I will check all of those and see which one it is. :p

creeker
03-26-13, 11:10 PM
Looks quite nice, the first thing I would spend money on is some whitewalls, it would really set off the dark color.

jamespowers
03-27-13, 12:37 AM
Looks quite nice, the first thing I would spend money on is some whitewalls, it would really set off the dark color.

Well since they are nearly new Michelins, maybe I can just paint some on for now. :p I understand that you can grind back some of the black sidewall too but.......

talismandave
03-27-13, 01:30 AM
Grinding only works when you have white letter. We used to have a company when I sold cars that would grind a slot in the sidewall and then paint with a paint that worked on rubber. Don't know if anyone does that anymore?

outsider
03-27-13, 08:34 AM
As already stated, my first check would be the sway bar links.

jamespowers
03-27-13, 01:09 PM
As already stated, my first check would be the sway bar links.

I have it in the shop with a laundry list of things to do to it but that rattle it at the top of the list. I'll let you know what is causing it when I find out and get the bill. :p

MrHolland
03-27-13, 10:27 PM
Wheel cover rattle??

jamespowers
03-27-13, 11:34 PM
Wheel cover rattle??
You know, you might just have something there. It does sound like the rattle I had when the wreath came loose from my 75 Eldorado. It sounded similar. Thanks for reminding me.
Well, I got a few things sorted out already. The cold start problem was due to the carb idle. The door lock that wasn't working on the back passenger side needs a new locking mechanism. Still haven't gotten to the antenna or had it smogged yet. we will see what tomorrow brings. :p

kntharty
03-28-13, 09:48 PM
Rattle could also be the heat shield on cat converter

jamespowers
03-29-13, 12:21 PM
Well, so far we also have found that the EGR valve needs replacing---big surprise. :p It may require a new cat but we shall see. It doesn't really have diminished performance. The antenna is getting replaced and the door lock actuator is being replaced. I am still not sure about the rattle though. Need to get it up on the rack and check it out. :thumbsup:

jamespowers
04-06-13, 08:25 PM
Well, I got my car back Friday with all the fixes and it runs fairly well. Flying around town with it today. Friday I took it over to the detailer and they worked a fair amount of miracles. No more oxidation and it shines like glass. I just wonder how long it will stay that way. :p
So anyway, I took the car over to AAA and got new plates for it and ownership transferred over to me. It took a while as the paperwork was kind of Byzantine but it is California so I expected it. :bigroll: Now on to just driving it and enjoying it. :thumbsup:

talismandave
04-07-13, 01:05 AM
Friday I took it over to the detailer and they worked a fair amount of miracles. No more oxidation and it shines like glass.

We have a saying here on the forum. You might as well learn it now........

Pictures......or it didn't happen!:D

jayoldschool
04-07-13, 11:34 AM
Rattle?

jamespowers
04-07-13, 11:57 AM
Rattle?

It appears to be the hubcaps. I'll live with it until I can chase it down further. :p

----------

We have a saying here on the forum. You might as well learn it now........

Pictures......or it didn't happen!:D

I'll have to pull it out of the driveway and take a few pictures then. :p

talismandave
04-08-13, 03:48 AM
When I was selling Olds/Pontiac in the 80's the wire covers had locks to keep them from theft. The center of cap came off and a tool went in and tightened up a screw into an assembly the was secured to the wheel. If these were not screwed on the lock would move around and cause a rattle. I am not familiar with the Cadillac covers but one of the guys here can tell you if they were the same set-up. Or check your owners manual.

mjs182004
04-08-13, 07:50 AM
That is one of the reasons why i got wire wheels. I couldn't stand hearing the creaking noises out of the hubcaps. No matter how tight the screw was they creaked.

talismandave
04-08-13, 08:24 AM
That is one of the reasons why i got wire wheels. I couldn't stand hearing the creaking noises out of the hubcaps. No matter how tight the screw was they creaked.

Oh I never thought of that, I was dealing with new cars, I suppose as they get old the wires themselves probably loosen and rattle. If that were the cause I suppose cleaning them up and putting clear silicone glue and seal on each would stop it.

The Ape Man
04-09-13, 06:58 PM
70s wire wheel hubcaps can be made quiet. I had some that spun a half million miles without a sound.