: Force balance or not?

Donny DeMuro
03-26-13, 07:05 PM
Ok guys what's your thoughts? Just got a new set of Michelin pilot super sports.
Should I force balance them or traditional balance? What are your results ???
Thanks

CTSV_Rob
03-26-13, 07:54 PM
my 2 cents:

When I first bought the V new there was a vibration at around 70 that they just could not get rid of. The Dealer managed to scratch the inside of my wheels but never got rid of the vibration.

I found a shop that had a Hunter Road Force balancer and the car was smooth at 70, the vibration was gone.
http://www.gsp9700.com/

If they don't have a road force balancer I find a new shop.

odthetruth
03-26-13, 08:02 PM
I've personally done both and I feel that a road force balance with a tech that takes his time dialing you in feels better overall.

CoolMomMobile
03-26-13, 08:53 PM
I've personally done both and I feel that a road force balance with a tech that takes his time dialing you in feels better overall.

I agree.

barrok69
03-26-13, 08:57 PM
static balance + dynamic balance = best result

You'll end up with wheel weights on the inside of the rim in 3 places. inner lip, center of wheel and outer edge close to the show side.

Some shops have the capability to match mount also, which would help minimize wheel weights to a point. For those not familiar with the term it involves finding the highs and lows of the wheels and tires and matching a high wheel point with low tire point. There is no such thing as a true round tire or wheel :)

odla
03-27-13, 02:19 PM
I don't waste time or money on a regular balance. It is all road force for me.

Andringa
03-27-13, 02:54 PM
My service tech made a comment on my last tire mount/balance that they would road force them "if needed". Kind of like they would do the normal balance and if that didnt work then they would road force? I was a bit confused.

If I know that these tires will see 120mph+ with track usage should I be requesting specific settings or tolerances when I get them balanced?

mstrjon32
03-27-13, 03:42 PM
FWIW, although I have had road force balances done before, I had some Super Sports installed on my Sky RL a few weeks ago and just had a regular balance done. I've since run it up to 130mph and it's smooth as glass.

Donny DeMuro
03-27-13, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to get them force balanced and will share results soon.