: 69 CDV Convertible Refresh project

wavedog
03-25-13, 09:45 PM
Hi everyone, I figured I would introduce myself and start a thread to document my progress. First a little background on the car. I bought it in I think it was '86 or ’87 as a weekend cruiser. I was only out of high school a couple of years so I drove it around and had some fun. It was in pretty good shape then and even in the local parade one year carrying a politician who was a friend’s brother in-law. Then other things came up and it sat for a few years. It was a little beat up from sitting so I had someone do some quick body work and fresh paint on it to clean it up and drove it for a couple more years. I ended up getting other interests and once again it sat. Unfortunately I never had a garage and it sat out in my parent’s back yard for years. I also learned of proper storage the hard way and not to wrap it up on a tarpaulin. It kept the rain water out but not the humidity.. I would still fire it up once or twice a year and sometimes even get it out for a spin. I did end up getting it into storage by renting a garage for the last 8-10 years. The last 5 years or so I’ve been telling myself I was going to start working on it again. I would make the effort every year but seemed like every time I would go to get it something would break, one year break lines let go, another year the water pump, and another was the fuel pump. Each time I would just fix the issue and park it back in the garage. A lot of stress at work last year and I finally said that is it I need something to keep me occupied and my mind off work. So I had her towed to my house last summer to start the caddy refresh. I started a story book of pictures on photobucket and hope to keep it updated as I go. http://s867.photobucket.com/user/wavedog/story/10193

cadillacbart
03-25-13, 11:47 PM
That's awesome. Love all the pics. It's gonna be great!

talismandave
03-26-13, 01:51 AM
Very nice. Thanks for joining up and sharing with us. Beautiful car! I luvs me da triple white!:cloud9:

amunderdog
03-26-13, 02:05 AM
Thanks for sharing.

wavedog
03-26-13, 10:34 PM
Thanks, I’ve been a member for almost 6yrs now and this is only my 3rd post. I have been to the site and learned a lot from the group over the years though.

As you can probably see from the pictures the motor and tranny are out. The motor is at a machine shop right now and I’m waiting on an appraisal for a rebuild. The tranny will be next for rebuild soon too. I scraped and sanded the engine bay and under carriage as far back as the rear axle so far. I painted it all with POR 15. I have one spot on passenger rear floor that needs some work. I just painted it for now, lots of tiny holes and pretty thin on most of it. The rear channels that hold the body mounts are gone too. I’m not sure that is something I will be tackling or sending out. I would like to do as much as I can myself Anyone have any experience with these? Are they available or is it a fab job?

cadillac kevin
03-27-13, 12:58 PM
Car still looks pretty nice, despite having sat for a long time. I'd be interested to see what the undercarriage looks like.
Nice job on the engine bay btw. It looks really nice

FoxRodder
03-27-13, 06:15 PM
Keep up the good work

77CDV
03-27-13, 10:51 PM
She'll be a treat when she's done. Don't lose hope! :)

CaddyGas
03-28-13, 11:28 PM
Too bad cars still don't look like this. At least we at the forum have style.

CADforce69
04-01-13, 03:13 PM
You have done a wonderful job so far. I´m sure she´ll be awesome when the work is finished. I like white '69 convertibles :thumbsup: Looking forward to see next step.

wavedog
04-15-13, 09:41 PM
The motor is at the machine shop and the tear down is complete. Overall not too bad but I am glad I decided to pull it and have it checked out rather than just change gaskets and timing like I had originally planned. There are a couple of broken rings and parts like cam were starting to show some wear. I'm not sure of actual millage on the motor and the fact that the pickup tube was loaded with plastic I'm sure didn't help much.. I added pics of the motor and tube http://s867.photobucket.com/user/wavedog/story/10193#. Still waiting on estimate and trying to decide if I should go all stock or make some modifications?? already know bored and new piston and rings, valves hardened and cam etc.. , but do I get stock cam or take it up a knotch? I plan on just cruising this around and gas mileage will be bad enough.. but I do like to stomp the pedal. I guess the price will probably decide but any advice?

talismandave
04-15-13, 09:49 PM
Extra CHUNKY!

Good to have it taken care of. You two will have a long future together.

wavedog
04-25-13, 09:53 PM
well, finally got the quote for the motor rebuild.. came in at $4800 for a pretty much stock rebuild. I knew it was going to be more than a sbc but that is more than I was planning on spending so guess I'm going to have to shop around.
Does anyone know of a good shop in the Rhode Island, Mass area?

wavedog
07-17-13, 01:42 PM
Finally got back at it. The heat is making it slow going out there in my driveway. The motor is at another shop and waiting on estimate. I started to clean the remaining undercarriage. Going to remove the gas tank but the nuts are frozen.
Does anyone know where I can get a set of the “J” bolts that hold the straps up? I’m afraid I will snap them on removal and if not I wouldn’t mind a new set if someone makes them anyways.

wavedog
07-25-13, 11:13 PM
Gas tank is out, wasn't as bad as I thought. Just used air gun and took it easy. still wouldn't mind bolts if anyone knows where to find them?? Tank had a shipping label on the top (picture added) so guessing it was replaced at one point? must have been sometime during its first 15 yrs. Started rust removal on frame and under body from rear axle back now. Cleaning up stuff like intake, ps pump, ac pump, oil pan, etc. and sent out pulleys and fan to be powder coated too. Haven't got estimate back yet on motor (told one week and tomorrow makes 3). Really surprised there aren't more shops around they always seem to be busy :) new pics added - http://s867.photobucket.com/user/wavedog/story/10193

wavedog
01-08-14, 10:07 PM
Haven't posted in awhile.
Update on progress. Updated pictures added to link in post above..
I finished painting the under carriage, rear axel, etc.. new rear brakes and brake hardware, and full set of stainless brake lines. I didn't think it was going to be possible to get that one piece (front to back) up in there. I had the tank, shocks, and springs out which helped a lot. still had to do a little bending and twisting but got it in there without any damage. painted the gas tank up and added a new fuel sending unit and put it all back together. I had the car towed back to storage in November, really was hoping to drive it back but still waiting on the engine rebuild. which brings up the engine, the bottom end is just about finished. heads need some work and was told I would be better off finding a good set.

*** does anyone know of a set of heads around New England? I'm in Rhode Island but willing to travel a little to pick them up. looking for the 76 chamber heads from 69 or 70. I have the 1486250 and prefer this one. I did remove the smog pump but wouldn't mind the option to put back if I wanted later on. Need to get this motor done by spring :) Haven't driven it in a few years and would like take it out this summer (even though it has a long way to go).

70eldo
01-09-14, 04:17 AM
I don't know how specific the J-bolts are, but what about places like fastenal.com?

1970CadillacCalais
01-09-14, 07:02 AM
That car looks sexy.

CADforce69
01-09-14, 06:42 PM
Wow!... You are doing an impressive work with that '69. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Rdtreur
01-10-14, 05:51 AM
Nice car and that engine bay looks good! What did you use on all the grey/silver parts on the firewall?

wavedog
01-26-14, 10:41 AM
Nice car and that engine bay looks good! What did you use on all the grey/silver parts on the firewall?

sorry, not sure right now. I don't remember and car is stored off site so I can't test to see. It is either PlasiKote rebuilders cast (282 Cast Aluminum) or Rust-Oleum High Heat ultra (Silver 270201). Rustoleum has less in can so I'm leaning toward that one.

DouglasJRizzo
01-26-14, 08:27 PM
That's a DeMassi car.
One of the best known Cad dealers in the NY/NJ area.

Bro-Ham
01-26-14, 08:47 PM
Wow! Impressive labor of love for your awesome car! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

smelvis
01-26-14, 09:33 PM
Wow nice work Rick. I didnt notice the photo link before. We gotta get these 2 ladies together this summer. Daisy needs company.

CADforce69
01-27-14, 05:51 AM
I didn´t notice both of you live in R.I. It would be great you meet some day. Surely, you will have a lot to talk about ;)

talismandave
01-27-14, 06:43 AM
That would be a really worthy family reunion! Lots of photos please.

You two are both at the same high skill level of Cadillac restoration and would surely have a good time swapping horror stories.

wavedog
01-28-14, 07:02 PM
That's a DeMassi car.
One of the best known Cad dealers in the NY/NJ area.

That sounds about right. I have the original protect-o-plate and the original owner was from Yonkers NY.

Loveldos
01-28-14, 10:38 PM
Wow--love the '69 DeVille Convertibles--and your work looks superb! It will be stunning when it is completed! Thanks for posting the photos!