: Opportunity for possible free labor, recommendations on how to use it?

jb7952
03-25-13, 09:02 PM
My dealer has offered to replace my SC at no charge due to rattle at idle and at low throttle.

while I haven't yet discussed it with them, I suspect they would be willing to install some aftermarket parts in there as part of the replacement (if they're part of the SC replacement process). I can't do the 2.3 as the new SC will be a warrantly replacement, unless I want to eat the cost of the SC.

Assuming they're willing to go ahead, what parts would you guys recommend reaplcing/adding? The D3 spacer is the first thing that comes to mind, however I'm a bit skeptical of it. It seems a little like one of those Airaid throttle body spaces (gimmick). Admittedly, I don't specialize in fluid dynamics, but it seems - suspect.

I'm also thinking of doing either the 630 or 650 Lingenfelter kit, possibly at the same time. The 650 kit is twice as much money for only 20hp more. It seems that it's really only worth doing the 650 if you plan to do more than past that. Is it worth doing the 650 kit if i do exhaust as well, or am I just throwing away money if I'm not doing significantly more than that?

baabootoo
03-25-13, 11:15 PM
I really doubt that they'll add non-GM parts since they'll have to warranty them then.

jb7952
03-26-13, 12:56 AM
I really doubt that they'll add non-GM parts since they'll have to warranty them then.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I really would like to keep the thread on part suggestions. If you have any suggestions for parts that can be switched out during the replacement on the blower, please let me know.

DCV
03-26-13, 08:09 AM
No way a GM dealer will put non factory parts on, AND keep the warranty. If they do, don't post their name in here....cause they would be in a wee bit of trouble.

wait4me
03-26-13, 09:45 AM
I agree, a doubt the dealer would go for it as he would get in trouble.

however to answer your question, Probably just go with the 650 kit if they will do it.

If I was in control of the parts, I would be doing:
2.55 upper
cold air kit,
tuning
heat exchanger.

Betiwin
03-26-13, 10:48 AM
So how bad is the stock V heat exchanger? Is still possible to have a 2.55 and not do the heat exchanger?

dqw1
03-26-13, 11:22 AM
I'm thinking of doing the exact same mods and will not track or race the car. I can't figure why I need a heat exchanger or plugs.

wait4me
03-26-13, 11:26 AM
The heat exchanger is just to maintain your horsepower for longer. The more reserve fluid you have in the system the better to cool things off and maintain that temperature before it starts to climb, and then you start to loose power.

Stock one does good but the volume of fluid just isn't there, so there isn't much reserve. The larger exchangers just hold more volume allowing the rising and falling of temperatures to be slower and more stable.

IF you floor your car and go thru 5 gears and watch your iat2 temps, with a stock one they climb and keep climbing. With an aftermarket one, they climb a bit at first, then maintain or lower the temps.

jb7952
03-26-13, 11:48 AM

however to answer your question, Probably just go with the 650 kit if they will do it.

2.55 upper
cold air kit,
tuning
heat exchanger.

I'm certainly not expectig that they're not going to do the entire 650 kit for free, but they might give me a discount if I do them at the same time as the warranty work. I've talked to the service manager about installing aftermarket parts and he's aftermarket friendly. I'm thinking of doing the 630 kit for now as I'm not sure (after reading your comments) that the injectors would provide any benefit to me at all until I at least upgrade the exhaust. I'd love to have you do the car if you weren't so far away.

To the earlier comment, of course I'm not expecting them to warranty aftermarket parts... Does that really even need to be said?

----------

2.55 upper
cold air kit,
tuning
heat exchanger.

I tried PM'ing you, but your box is full

Could you put together a quote for the above and what I'd need to do regarding tuning?

kwilson
03-26-13, 02:28 PM
So aside from them installing everything are they going to tune it also????

daowens
03-26-13, 02:51 PM
Some dealers are ok with aftermarket parts such as an intake or exhaust. Did you ask them about changing pulleys?

jb7952
03-26-13, 06:54 PM
Some dealers are ok with aftermarket parts such as an intake or exhaust. Did you ask them about changing pulleys?

Multiple times. Even if I don't get the work done now, I'll likely have the dealer do most of it. They've taken great care of my and I have a great relationship with them.

They're not setup for a tune. Most likely I'll get a second ECU to have tuned and keep the original ECU stock, just in case.

TheDarkKnight
03-26-13, 07:29 PM
Most likely I'll get a second ECU to have tuned and keep the original ECU stock, just in case.

Haha. Good luck with that......soon as you swap, they'll know as soon as you go in for service

wait4me
03-26-13, 07:58 PM
Haha. Good luck with that......soon as you swap, they'll know as soon as you go in for service

This is correct to an extent, The Drivers side door module does record such events.

The only way to date that I know of to make things hidden is the way I am doing it. Still 4 years later and no one has had the warranty void from my tunes I made.

jb7952
03-26-13, 08:23 PM

Haha... I'm not trying to fool anyone. I don't need to.

sykb47l
03-27-13, 08:54 AM
Here’s the problem with your question. None of these mods are things they have to do while replacing the supercharger. The supercharger comes as one part so pulley, spacer, idler, intake, heat exchanger, ect would all be extra work. Maybe your dealer is ok with mods, but remember its GM's call to replace major items not your dealer's. If your power train warranty is important to you don’t mod or get everything in writing. If the dealer can't tune your car guess what becomes the end all; the tune blew up your engine, the tune destroyed your transmission....so on. If you have it in writing there’s no he said she said. And it has to be very specific; The following modifications will not void any part of the warranty…..regardless of the issue…..VIN #....signed…..dated. If they won’t do it you got your real answer. If they do, frame it and sleep well.

On the other hand, perhaps your dealer is willing to do the work for free to keep you happy. If that’s the case you need to ask them what work they will do. Since they specialize in factory replacements they might not have the tools needed to (example only) press on an aftermarket pulley correctly.

It’s been most people’s experience that speed shops are cheaper when it comes to labor charges than dealers are. So if they are going to charge you to do any of the mods you might want to shop around. Especially if you plan to do more mods in the future. If your engine blew because and you didn’t have a warranty would you go to the dealer for a replacement or a speed shop? I wouldn’t.

Would I use a dealer for installs? NO! Free or not I wouldn’t use a dealer as my performance parts installer. I’m curious to know if they installed all this and you blew your engine leaving the dealership what they would do with GM. Would they replace the engine out of pocket? Or would they deliberately try to deceive GM by putting it back to stock and trying to make a claim. If the later how can you trust that they would do the right thing when it comes to your car?

Now to answer your original question. If the dealer is willing to do any of this work for free go all out. Get as much as you can done for free but think about all of the above. Sounds like you have a good relationship with them. If they are charging you for anything, shop around.

kwilson
03-27-13, 09:17 AM
Would I use a dealer for installs? NO! Free or not I wouldn’t use a dealer as my performance parts installer.

^^+++111

I don't even let them wash my car....lol

jb7952
03-27-13, 09:09 PM
Here’s the problem with your question. None of these mods are things they have to do while replacing the supercharger. The supercharger comes as one part so pulley, spacer, idler, intake, heat exchanger, ect would all be extra work. Maybe your dealer is ok with mods, but remember its GM's call to replace major items not your dealer's. If your power train warranty is important to you don’t mod or get everything in writing. If the dealer can't tune your car guess what becomes the end all; the tune blew up your engine, the tune destroyed your transmission....so on. If you have it in writing there’s no he said she said. And it has to be very specific; The following modifications will not void any part of the warranty…..regardless of the issue…..VIN #....signed…..dated. If they won’t do it you got your real answer. If they do, frame it and sleep well.

On the other hand, perhaps your dealer is willing to do the work for free to keep you happy. If that’s the case you need to ask them what work they will do. Since they specialize in factory replacements they might not have the tools needed to (example only) press on an aftermarket pulley correctly.

It’s been most people’s experience that speed shops are cheaper when it comes to labor charges than dealers are. So if they are going to charge you to do any of the mods you might want to shop around. Especially if you plan to do more mods in the future. If your engine blew because and you didn’t have a warranty would you go to the dealer for a replacement or a speed shop? I wouldn’t.

Would I use a dealer for installs? NO! Free or not I wouldn’t use a dealer as my performance parts installer. I’m curious to know if they installed all this and you blew your engine leaving the dealership what they would do with GM. Would they replace the engine out of pocket? Or would they deliberately try to deceive GM by putting it back to stock and trying to make a claim. If the later how can you trust that they would do the right thing when it comes to your car?

Now to answer your original question. If the dealer is willing to do any of this work for free go all out. Get as much as you can done for free but think about all of the above. Sounds like you have a good relationship with them. If they are charging you for anything, shop around.

Thank you for your reply and for actually answering my question!

Typically, I would never take my car to a dealer for anything other than warranty work either. This is very much an exception for me. The dealer I'm looking at does much more than just warranty work. They do restorations, have a huge body shop where they do everything from insurance work to custom paint jobs. The mechanical shop not only does warranty work, but also all sort of custom and high performance work.

That said, they aren't a speed shop, but they have the know how and I feel that this is the rare case where I am better off having the work all done at one place. If something does go wrong, there is no finger pointing. If they blow the motor, I believe they will make it right. I won't have to fight with them about if the tuner shop did something.

The way the law works, as I suspect you know, if they can't prove the aftermarket part caused the failure, then they have to warranty it. Of course there are dealers that try to blame failures on any aftermarket modification. I once had a chevy dealer try to tell me that my repairs likely wouldn't be covered because I'd put a suspension lift on my truck - after the radio amplifier blew. I laughed in his face. They fixed it without any issues. The Cadillac dealer is quite mod friendly. If the mods cause a problem, I don't expect them to take the blame. However, if something else goes wrong, I won't have a problem. And I wont' have a problem if their installation causes the issue either.

I've had many bad experiences at dealers, so I don't expect everyone to believe that mine would be any different. I know how they've treated me in the past and I trust them and that's all that matters. There's not another place that I trust anywhere near here anyway. So, while it's maybe not ideal, I feel it's my best option for now.

I'm going to get the car baseline dyno'd next week at Autothority who I just found out is a Hennessy shop and is literally in walking distance from my house. I'm going to give some consideration to them as well, but at this point, I've been leaning away from the Hennessy stuff for multiple reasons.