: Do I need new front shocks/struts???

Sublime69
03-25-13, 08:55 AM
I think my 05 V with 62K miles is in need of some new front shocks. I can tell the passenger side front is make noise (rattle) over bumps. It will get bump steer over certain bumps too. It has been making noise since i bought the car in 09 and slowly been getting worse. Now my question is, what shocks should i get? I am just looking for a stock replacement quality and ride. I might be selling the car this summer so I want to do it on the cheap too.

Any suggestions? Links would be great too! I was looking on rockauto and they have about 6 different options.. not sure what i needed.

Thanks!

darkman
03-25-13, 09:04 AM
On the Rock Auto site the part you need is the AC Delco 540250 for the FE4 suspension.

Sublime69
03-25-13, 09:14 AM
Thanks! Now, is this something i can replace on my own? Or is there special tools needed?

darkman
03-25-13, 09:31 AM
It is pretty straight forward. The only special tool required is a spring compressor which are not expensive and can even be rented at many auto parts stores. See the front end portion of http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/gcinstall/index.html. On the other hand, it probably would not be very expensive to have any tire store, brake/muffler shop, or similar shop that installs shocks to do it for you if you provide the parts.

Sublime69
03-25-13, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the link! Is there anything else that i should replace since i will be taking everything apart?

darkman
03-25-13, 10:17 AM
There is nothing else to replace as a matter of routine at 62k miles, assuming you have no other symptoms. You will, of course, have the brakes in plain view and should make sure the pads are sufficient. A pad swap takes only minutes while you are there.

Sublime69
03-25-13, 10:35 AM
ok thanks again! I really hope this solves my problem.. the bump steer is pretty terrifying at time.