: Would subs ruin this car????

carlover866
03-25-13, 01:31 AM
I'm thinking of putting two kicker comps in this caddy and adding flowmaster exhaust system should I do this or would it ruin the car??????

Cadillac Giovanni
03-25-13, 01:40 AM
If you want it, then go for it. I'm on the fence about the exhaust mods, since you're not going to be getting much out of them besides sound. If you want a nice healthy burble following you wherever you go, then by all means.

As for audio system enhancements, I'm all for it. I don't think the car needs to be a rolling ghetto-blaster, but sometimes a man wants more than a stock sound system.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
03-25-13, 02:09 AM
ITS YOUR CAR GO AHEAD IF THATS WHAT YOU WANT, I HAD A 90 FLEED JUST LIKE YOURS THAT HAD THE STOCK 307,I RIPPED THAT OUT AND PUT A BUILT CHEVY 350 WITH MILD CAM AND I ADDED TRUE DUAL 40 SERIES FLOWMASTERS WITH HEADERS I LOVED IT,I WOULD ALWAYS GET HATE FROM PEOPLE SAYING ITS A CADILLAC, PLUS I HAD A BANGING SYSTEM TO, 2 15s WITH ALL THE INSIDE SPEAKERS CHANGED SO SOUND LOUD AND CLEAR

MrHolland
03-25-13, 07:23 AM
The exhaust, I probably wouldn't install. As for the subs, go for it. That said, long periods of listening to loud music can damage your hearing and cause you to TALK REALLY LOUD!!!

Stingroo
03-25-13, 08:53 AM
What?

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
03-25-13, 10:00 AM
LOL:highfive:

talismandave
03-25-13, 10:09 AM
That is a beautiful Cadillac you have there. It would take a lot more than that to ruin it! :lol:

Both of the items you mention can be done and undone without any damage to the car. If it is something that doesn't require cutting huge holes on body or interior parts, and will give you joy in using it, go for it. If you are asking about the value of the car for sale, then you are limiting the people who would be interested in it by adding non-traditional items to it. From a strictly monetary standpoint you would decrease the value by whatever amount it would take to put it back to normal.

If those were the only things you want to do I would probably skip the exhaust. A completely stock looking Cadillac with a loud exhaust, sounds and looks like a Cadillac with a bad exhaust. People will just think it is a shame that you can't afford to "fix" it. :(

If you are planning to put some nice looking rims on it and make it look like a mild custom then a low burble from a good exhaust would be sort of cool. I have seen quite a few well done mild custom Cadillacs and done tastefully with restraint they are really great. Just be sure to keep in mind the money you spend will be only for your enjoyment and will not add to resale value, and in fact will lower it and if that is OK to you go for it. :thumbsup:

Plenty of help is available from the gang here to guide you to what to do and how to do it whatever way you decide to go. Enjoy the beautiful Cadillac and keep us posted on what you are doing on it. Take some time going through the Photo threads on this site and Google images to get some ideas of what others have done, and what you like.
:welcome:

outsider
03-25-13, 11:05 AM
I've got 2 15" kickers in the trunk of my 87 and aside from the lack of trunk space now, I have no problems with it :)

The-Dullahan
03-25-13, 12:58 PM
^Haha. #TrunkPeopleProblems

The exhaust, I probably wouldn't install. As for the subs, go for it. That said, long periods of listening to loud music can damage your hearing and cause you to TALK REALLY LOUD!!!

Not sure about that. I have an overly-massive series of award-winning sound system components in my Brougham (And no "Trunk" to put the speakers in) that is locally infamous for it's ability to set car alarms off from incredible distances away and I don't do that.

I think perhaps 85 COUPE suffers from "BILLY MAYS SYNDROME".

cadillac kevin
03-25-13, 01:40 PM
I would advise against the flowmasters, unless you put some tasteful sporty rims on it (otherwise, it would just be a caddy with an exhaust leak)
As for the subs, I say go for it. I'd upgrade the speakers in the car too (at least the dash speakers, because they flat out suck)
If you ever sell the car, I would put it back bone stock though. Unmodified cars are worth more and easier to sell than modified ones.

cadillac_al
03-25-13, 01:58 PM
I have heard very very few flowmasters that sound good to me. I have heard a few good sounding Magnaflows though. I think they would be worth a look. The car looks great though.

The-Dullahan
03-25-13, 05:03 PM
For sound and quality, I prefer Thrush. Also, it's the name of a bacterial infection, whereas, Flowmaster borrows it's name from a laxative.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
03-25-13, 06:49 PM
ok exhuast leak sound and flowmasters or custom exhust does not sound like no damn exhuast leak at all what yall talking about

AElayyat
03-25-13, 07:46 PM
I have 2 12's in each of my broughams & I had a flowmaster on the 89 I use to own...

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
03-25-13, 09:13 PM
IF YOU GETTING EXHUST ATLEST GO WITH DUALS,NO BIG TIPS JUST GO WITH A CLASSY TIP:lildevil:

talismandave
03-25-13, 09:45 PM
ok exhuast leak sound and flowmasters or custom exhust does not sound like no damn exhuast leak at all what yall talking about

To enthusiasts no.....to 90% of the people on the street.....?:yup:

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
03-25-13, 09:53 PM
since you said that should it matter????

The-Dullahan
03-25-13, 10:46 PM
If you're really just trying to make obnoxious noise with the exhaust (which I presume you believe will somehow compliment your stereo????) then just go with open headers.

It will be loud, just as obnoxious and no one will mistake it for an exhaust leak.

It could not be fair to compare a Cadillac to my Chevrolet or Pontiac, due to differences in engine and exhaust design and purpose, but my '72 Lincoln, when I first got it, had an exhaust that was basically headers connected down to a pipe that joined them, which immediately transferred to a muffler with only a couple inches of pipe after the muffler. Even for a 460, it sounded entirely excessive and pointless.

It was loud and definitely sounded nice, but as powerful or fast as that car was (especially by comparison to a Brougham of all things) it was still not a racecar and realistically had no reason to try to sound like one. My Pontiac is not really any louder and the Lincoln definitely had a very signature sound to it (as nothing else on the road sounds like that, normally) but it could easily put the Lincoln in it's place any day.

Personally, I feel that mufflers that are designed to make noise (Flowmaster for example) and focus on making noise first, well before actually increasing performance in any way whatsoever are far better kept on the shelves at Autozone, where Honda Civic Enthusiasts can buy them.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
03-25-13, 11:11 PM
Does the cadillac have a 350 or 305?? , headers and true duels well does kinda increase something

carlover866
03-26-13, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the compliments and everything and about the exhaust I just want to be able to hear the 350 talking to me going down the road I dont want anything loud or obnoxious I just want to let people know its a 350 and hear it rumble a little not make people think it is a trashy car or a racecar just a car with a V-8 and on the subs should I do 12's or 15's I dont know if the 15's would be too much or not I dont want it to sound like crap and wake people up I just want a little extra bass I cant stand hearing nothing but rattling on the outside so I dont want anything that is going to shake everything loose thanks for the help!!! Oh and 85 fleetwood coupe it is a 350

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
03-26-13, 01:13 AM
thats how i felt about my 90,if you get dual 40 series flowmasters i say you will be happy its not LOUD its a nice rumble, as far as the system, you can put what evers speakers in the trunk but as long as everything is set right it will sound good, goet a eq to get the sounds ajusted right and a bass knob to controll your bass homie

The-Dullahan
03-26-13, 11:17 AM
Install exhaust cutouts. Have two settings at your disposal with only the flip of a switch:

"Cadillac Mode"

"RACING Cadillac Mode"

Cadillac Giovanni
03-26-13, 03:22 PM
I came across this dude a while back on the Youtube. He's got some flowmaster series 50 mufflers on his Brougham. Apparently they are designed to create a more muted, yet powerful sound, as opposed to the incessant drone you get with most custom exhausts. He has a bunch of videos comparing them.

Of course, he also had the 5.7 liter bored out and rebuilt as a 6.0 liter that packs a bit more punch, so your results will vary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DRMm6pqmwE

talismandave
03-26-13, 11:44 PM
That sounds really sweet, reminds me of the duals on my 350 Monte Carlo. Just not a fan of it on a bone stock Cadillac. Add some Sweet aftermarket rims, Crager SS five spokes let's say, and I'm "ALL In"!:rolleyes:

carlover866
03-27-13, 12:52 AM
AS I said the dullahan I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE IT SOUND LIKE A RACECAR A RACING CADILLAC OR NOTHING LIKE THAT I JUST WANT A LITTLE EXTRA RUMBLE and thanks for the video link that is about what im looking for a little extra but not obnoxiously loud.

----------

I also need help with the cruise control the little light comes on and everything like it is working but it never works when I try to "set" it and my radio is a little fuzzy like it is not getting good signal and I know it is not the speakers cause it plays tapes without being fuzzy

outsider
03-27-13, 09:36 AM
for the radio being fuzzy I would pull the radio out and check the connection to the antenna. Could be loose or it could be a bad wire from antenna to radio.

Cadillac Giovanni
03-27-13, 10:08 AM
Does the cruise control still operate on vacuum lines in the 91? If so, that's where I'd look.

carlover866
03-28-13, 02:12 AM
I'm not sure what cruise control works wit on it but I will check that and I will also check the wire on the radio thanks for the help!!