: Cant find Rear air leak

CaddyEscalade
03-24-13, 05:59 PM
Hello all, I'm having a major air leak in my rear air shock system but I can't find it. The compressor kicks on shocks fill with air and within about s minute they ate empty and compressor starts again. Very strange as I have crawled underneath and sprayed soap on everything and felt around the shocks and connections and compressor and nothing appears to be leaking. A very faint sound is coming from the air compressor (kinda like a faint boiling type sound, not hissing), can air leak past inside the compressor some how? I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I would like to bypass the compressor and pump air to the shocks directly to see if it holds, but I can't tap directly into the air system. Any suggestions? Thanks!

the cadillac man
03-24-13, 06:04 PM
Hello all, I'm having a major air leak in my rear air shock system but I can't find it. The compressor kicks on shocks fill with air and within about s minute they ate empty and compressor starts again. Very strange as I have crawled underneath and sprayed soap on everything and felt around the shocks and connections and compressor and nothing appears to be leaking. A very faint sound is coming from the air compressor (kinda like a faint boiling type sound, not hissing), can air leak past inside the compressor some how? I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I would like to bypass the compressor and pump air to the shocks directly to see if it holds, but I can't tap directly into the air system. Any suggestions? Thanks!

It could've be crud in the exhaust valve which is part of the compressor and yes the shocks line can be removed but then you would need something to keep the air in the shocks afterward in order to reinflate them like a standred air shock

The only way to tell is to remove the compressor and check it out

CaddyEscalade
03-24-13, 08:44 PM
It could've be crud in the exhaust valve which is part of the compressor and yes the shocks line can be removed but then you would need something to keep the air in the shocks afterward in order to reinflate them like a standred air shock

The only way to tell is to remove the compressor and check it out

I have the compressor out....Now what? Im not sure what to look for from here. Is there a diagram or pics of what I am to look for?

Thanks!

the cadillac man
03-24-13, 09:14 PM
I have the compressor out....Now what? Im not sure what to look for from here. Is there a diagram or pics of what I am to look for?

Thanks!

I would try bench testing the compressor just keep in mind the pressure sensor is 5volt only

There is two wires for the compressor motor

Two wires for the valve solenoid (this is what you need to test) 6-12 should be fine as it should take much to work this set of wires goes to the area near the pipe they should be gray and blue in color

Missouri River Rat
03-24-13, 09:49 PM
I would get it on a lift and lift it up in the air so the wheels are off the ground and your bags are fully extended. They are known for rotting out and making your compressor run constantly and burn up. I just replaced my rear shocks last week. I also had to put a new compressor on since it was burned out. The compressor also comes with new desiccant for the air dryer.

the cadillac man
03-24-13, 09:51 PM
I would get it on a lift and lift it up in the air so the wheels are off the ground and your bags are fully extended. They are known for rotting out and making your compressor run constantly and burn up. I just replaced my rear shocks last week. I also had to put a new compressor on since it was burned out. The compressor also comes with new desiccant for the air dryer.

That or just going boom and rupturing without warning

Missouri River Rat
03-24-13, 10:04 PM
When i bought it last year you couldn't even tell they were completely blown out with it sitting on the ground or no trailer hooked up to it. When i got it home and put out on the lift that is when you could see the damage. Called the dealership and said that they have an amazing 200 point inspection. Let's just say i did not pay full price for the new parts.

CaddyEscalade
03-25-13, 12:01 AM
I have had an air shock blow once. This is just odd as the compressor works, both air bags inflate and then they lose all pressure in about a minute and I cant hear or feel any air leaks. Im just not sure what to check on the compressor, as the compressor works fine, im just wondering if it is leaking through the exhaust or something.

the cadillac man
03-25-13, 12:40 AM
I have had an air shock blow once. This is just odd as the compressor works, both air bags inflate and then they lose all pressure in about a minute and I cant hear or feel any air leaks. Im just not sure what to check on the compressor, as the compressor works fine, im just wondering if it is leaking through the exhaust or something.

It could be a possibility

The pipe goes up to the filler hose neck I would try seeing if I could feel air from here if yes then the compressor needs checking