: Winter wheels

MSS400
03-24-13, 12:15 AM
I'm new to the forum having just bought a 2011 Thunder Grey CTS-V Coupe. I sold my Volvo S60R AWD for this car and my wife is going to KICK MY BUTT if I need to buy yet another car just to get around in the winter (Chicago area). So, I'd like to find the best winter set-up I can. I think I'll go with 18" wheels. I see many of you have suggested TSW Nurburgrings and Drag dr-37 wheels. Any other suggestions?

Mitch

2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT 6 Roadster
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400 Convertible

1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (Sold when I still had hair)
1975 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (Sold when I had a little more hair)
1966 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (Sold before you were born)

Va72mlibu
03-24-13, 01:20 AM
I adored my 2005 S60R. Picked it up new in Germany when I was stationed there. Maxed it out at 155 and did 5 laps of the Nurburgring. Such a great car and the best seats of any car I've ever driven. Congrats on your V. Completely different animal.

neuronbob
03-25-13, 06:11 PM
Welcome to the forum.

18's are an option and are less expensive than what I did. Many swear by 18's and the ones in your post clear our big brakes.

I purchased another set of stock wheels (mine are satin graphite) and put on Blizzak LM60's in 255/40-19 (e.g. stock front) all around. I've never gotten stuck in the snow here in Cleveland. With my 2009 V, I used stock-sized Sottozeros and the Blizzaks are, honestly, better in the snow.

We now have over four years of experience with this gen V so these options are the best for winter driving.

cruiser68
03-25-13, 06:49 PM
Welcome to the forum.

18's are an option and are less expensive than what I did. Many swear by 18's and the ones in your post clear our big brakes.

I purchased another set of stock wheels (mine are satin graphite) and put on Blizzak LM60's in 255/40-19 (e.g. stock front) all around. I've never gotten stuck in the snow here in Cleveland. With my 2009 V, I used stock-sized Sottozeros and the Blizzaks are, honestly, better in the snow.

We now have over four years of experience with this gen V so these options are the best for winter driving.

This is what I did....except I got a free set of painted oem wheels because I wanted polished and the dealer just gave me the extras. Only paid $600 for the polished as that was the option price.

V has great manners in the snow with the Blizzaks.

JKG
03-25-13, 09:20 PM
i am a new V owner, but have not received the car yet. I have my eyes on some corvette look-alike wheels in 18" at a good price. i think they will fit but no one has tried yet. i plan to order a set to try it out in late spring, after I actually have a car to try them on. i will post in a couple months if they fit.

CoppeR
03-26-13, 10:00 PM
Welcome! Another Chicago guy. Check the other forum for local events when the weather warms up

cvs
04-01-13, 03:39 AM
Ditto on the 19" Blizzaks. Bought a second set of factory wheels to do the summer/winter swap. Two winters here in the Detroit area and no problems.

I came from a manual 2004 V70R before this car and still miss it sometimes.