: Heel Toe

the blur
03-23-13, 12:14 PM
I'm reading the owners manual, and it specifically says, DO NOT REV ENGINE WHEN DOWNSHIFTING.
Why wouldn't they want the experienced driver to heel toe ?

It's in section 2 of the owners manual.

TheDarkKnight
03-23-13, 07:18 PM
Because the engine Automatically rev matches when downshifting. That's my gjhssa

V locity
03-23-13, 07:40 PM
My guess is torque management would kick in & make it an unpleasant experience...

the blur
03-23-13, 07:49 PM
I got pretty good at heel toe. And I use it in the V with no negative effects. Too bad the manual doesn't offer an explanation.

brent38
03-24-13, 08:22 AM
Heal / toe is the only way to drive a manual when pushing it otherwise the torque of the engine may make it an unpleasant experience when downshifting. I believe the problem is when inexperienced drivers try to rev match at low RPM's as this may put some undue stress on the drivetrain.

Jinx
03-25-13, 12:07 PM
I don't see that in the 2013 manual. But in section 9 "Driving and Operating" it says

Notice: If you skip more than one gear when you downshift, or if you race the engine when you release the clutch pedal while downshifting, you could damage the engine, clutch, driveshaft or the transmission. Do not skip gears or race the engine when downshifting.

In other words, "if you do it wrong and you break something, don't come crying to us."

They teach heel-toe at the Cadillac V-Series Academy.

thebigjimsho
03-25-13, 07:21 PM
Yep, lawyers at work.