: Change cat?

stoveguyy
03-23-13, 11:21 AM
A few cars on board now with poor running cars and bad cats. Do u think a 96 car with 140k miles and no codes would benefit from new cat? I did have leaky headgaskets for several yrs so I know coolant was fouling up combustion. I wonder if my cat really flows as well as it should? Did I mention that I cannot spin my tires? Never have. Car has always seemed to be down on power from day 1. And I have owned it since 2000.

MoistCabbage
03-23-13, 07:04 PM
Have a back pressure test done if you think there's a problem.

As for spinning the tires:

Traction control on, they won't spin (obviously).
Traction control off, your '96 will start off in 2nd gear, they won't spin.

You'd have to feather the brake just enough to trigger the brake lights, with traction control on, to spin the tires (applying the brakes disables traction control).

stoveguyy
03-23-13, 08:06 PM
Car just seems to fall on its face when I floor it from dead stop. Sort of goes "nope"! I have never driven another caddy so I have idea how it should run. Trac control? Haha. It never even tries to engage. Hell, I even have trouble spinning tires n snow! Trac does work than.

mhamilton
03-23-13, 08:55 PM
The amount of oil that the Northstars burn is never good for cat converters... but before wasting money I'd do a pressure test as MC suggested.

Ranger
03-23-13, 09:57 PM
A few cars on board now with poor running cars and bad cats. Do u think a 96 car with 140k miles and no codes would benefit from new cat?
No. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Car just seems to fall on its face when I floor it from dead stop.
Check the fuel pressure.

stoveguyy
03-23-13, 11:17 PM
Maybe the thread title should be "gutless" car. I changed fuel pump 5yrs ago. Have put in 1 Fpr. Can't even recall when. Fuel filter is probably 5+ yrs old. Car has always run good but never really had good off the line pickup. Drove 2k Bonne ssei and I could spin those tires for 50ft. I am not blaming cat since I have no driveability issues or codes. I do have the Sts so I have 3.7 gear and crappy tires. U would think I could at least lay rubber.