: 1983 Cadillac 2 door Brougham pinion seal leaking

caddy1983
03-22-13, 06:54 PM
Dealer does not carry this part anymore. I need a OEM type of pinion seal. Any aftermarket seals you recommend. How are
the seals at autozone,pep boys,napa, or orilleys. What type of gear oil will you recommend(the weight)? should i go with
synthetic, standard gear oil or both mixture. Should I use an additive. Thanks

The Ape Man
03-22-13, 09:11 PM
How bad does it leak? If it is only a stain or a weep just top off the gear lube with type mentioned in Cadillac manual included with car.

Replacing a pinion seal requires very careful retorquing of pinion nut. Too much tension and the gear depth becomes destructive. I've seen this happen with unseasoned mek-a-niks eager to make a few bux stopping an inconsequential leak.

jayoldschool
03-22-13, 09:14 PM
I've used both AC Delco and Dorman service yokes/seals.. Both are fine, and stopped the leak. 80w90 gear oil, with one bottle of GM posi additive if you have posi (and you likely don't).

The Ape Man
03-22-13, 09:23 PM
I've used both AC Delco and Dorman service yokes/seals.. Both are fine, and stopped the leak. 80w90 gear oil, with one bottle of GM posi additive if you have posi (and you likely don't).

A 4.1 with a posi? Hahahahahahah!

jayoldschool
03-22-13, 10:21 PM
Come on, it could spin the tires! On ice. If you did a combination brake stand/trans drop.

The Ape Man
03-22-13, 11:18 PM
Come on, it could spin the tires! On ice. If you did a combination brake stand/trans drop.

And some N2O. Bring a broom and dustpan. Maybe some speedy dry.