: No Headroom?

TimRSRX777
03-22-13, 06:06 PM
Just looking at the 2nd Gen SRX it looks like it's afflicted by the same disease so many new GM vehicles, like the recent Camaro, are. No Headroom and very poor view out the back? Why does GM do that.. I think the vehicle would even look better if the roof was raised a couple inches and the back not slope so drastically. To me it looks like it was rolled and the top and back of the vehicle crushed. Does someone living with this vehicle and driving it daily also arrive at the same conclusion or does it just look much worse than it actually is? At least the first generation SRX had sufficient headroom and reasonably good view out the back. GM needs to realize that the Average American is not 5'5" tall and wants to see out the back of their vehicle and not stare at a camera to do that.

Ponyman
03-22-13, 07:41 PM
I am 6'2" and have plenty of headroom. Perhaps before you come here bashing the car and insu
lting the intelligence of repeat owners, you might want to actually look at and drive the vehicle.

Marc NY
03-22-13, 08:00 PM
Wow! You certainly do not sound like someone who is in the market for this awesome styled vehicle! :suspect:

You didn't say how tall you are but I am 6'2" and my SRX has a pano sunroof and I find that I have plenty of head room in the SRX. The sloping roof style was designed that way to give the SRX a more "streamlined" and sporter look. As far as the SRX looking like what you have just described above the SRX would then look more like all the other crossovers, i.e. Equinox or Terrain in form and shape. IMO: I love the visual illusion that the slopping roof line makes the SRX look more like it is moving even while it is standing still! :thumbsup:

It is pretty obvious that one either loves the looks or not... for you it is no but to vast majority of us here agree that the looks and styling of this vehicle is just awesome! :rockon: :bouncy:

adamjeeps
03-22-13, 08:08 PM
The sales numbers disagree with Tim. If you don't like it then don't buy it.

TimRSRX777
03-22-13, 08:57 PM
Like nor dislike, or even whether to buy one, was not part of my question. So far just two people have answered the head room question with no mention as to how well that they can see out the back of their vehicle. If you like the way it looks how about eliminating the greenhouse entirely because then you would probably like it even better?

----------

The sales numbers disagree with Tim.

Which sales numbers are those, adamjeeps? Because from the sales numbers I have seen the post 2009 SRX is only a reasonably popular vehicle. 50 some thousand purchases a year, so about 180,000 total sales so far, does not show me a very popular vehicle. I would say almost 320 million people agree with me.

phunter1
03-22-13, 09:11 PM
I'm also 6'2" with short legs an a long torso. I can't sit up in most cars that are equipped with sunroofs, so I typically avoid cars with them. Not so the SRX. I have plenty of headroom in it. Perhaps you didn't have the seat all the way down. I agree that the rear view is poor, which is why it has a backup camera and sensors. I find the camera more reliable than looking out the back, but that's my opinion. Once you learn to use them, it's fine. By the way, there a lots of non GM cars that have poor rearward visibility. If you find rear visibility to be a deal breaker for you, look at something else; there are plenty of small crossovers to chose from.

Phil

adamjeeps
03-22-13, 10:08 PM
Tim, up through 2009, annual sales averaged about 20,000. Starting in 2010 thorough 2012, annual sales has averaged about 54,000. It trails only the Lexus RX in its class. I'd say that is a good showing.

You are going to say since every person in the country doesn't own an SRX that is must not be popular, that is ridiculous.

algiorda
03-22-13, 10:11 PM
What are you basing your assertion on? Random thoughts? Observations of the roofline from a photo?

This is my second SRX. All I've owned in the past 9 years are SRX's. I'm 6.0 and there have never been any headroom or hip room or leg room issues with this vehicle. Like the others have said, go test drive it!

Just looking at the 2nd Gen SRX it looks like it's afflicted by the same disease so many new GM vehicles, like the recent Camaro, are. No Headroom and very poor view out the back? Why does GM do that.. I think the vehicle would even look better if the roof was raised a couple inches and the back not slope so drastically. To me it looks like it was rolled and the top and back of the vehicle crushed. Does someone living with this vehicle and driving it daily also arrive at the same conclusion or does it just look much worse than it actually is? At least the first generation SRX had sufficient headroom and reasonably good view out the back. GM needs to realize that the Average American is not 5'5" tall and wants to see out the back of their vehicle and not stare at a camera to do that.

Ponyman
03-22-13, 10:14 PM
Algiorda, then according to Tim n another post, you are ignorant for buying the second time. So am I. He doesn't own one, so he is hardly qualified to comment on them.

adamjeeps
03-22-13, 10:15 PM
I personally think the first generation SRX looks like a station wagon, but if you like it that is all that matters.

GMJim
03-23-13, 09:07 AM
Compared to a Gen 1, a mobile aquarium a Gen 2 is not. I would consider a low mileage hearse for your desire for lack of style, and ultimate visibility.

TheCaptain
03-23-13, 12:44 PM
GM has the Tahoe/ Yukon/ Escalade/ Traverse/ Acadia/ Enclave/ Trax/ Encore for you who need great rear visibility and high headroom.

As for my 6' 2" a$$, I fit in the SRX awesome with a slight head tilt to get in. Rear visibility is great in my books, especially with giant mirrors and a great rear cam. I think GM can do with a few more style over absolute function vehicles. :D

warnercc
03-25-13, 10:18 AM
Every vehicle has blind spots with the exception of convertibles and even they have blind spots when the top is up. Believe me, I'm not a GM fan. Haven't been for about 20 years. But I am impressed with the SRX as I am with my daughters Camaro. I was concerned about the blind spots when she purchased the Camaro. She's 5'2" and when she sits in the car all you can see is her head above the edge of the door but she loves the car and has had no problems except for being pulled over a couple of times to make sure she is old enough to drive! Both times she has been in her Navy uniform and laughs when they ask for her drivers license and her military ID!

beachcad
03-25-13, 11:06 AM
Which sales numbers are those, adamjeeps? Because from the sales numbers I have seen the post 2009 SRX is only a reasonably popular vehicle. 50 some thousand purchases a year, so about 180,000 total sales so far, does not show me a very popular vehicle. I would say almost 320 million people agree with me.

You would think the economy would be in much better shape if every man, woman, and child in the US has purchased a new vehicle since 2010.

algiorda
03-26-13, 11:23 AM
As far as looking out the rear window, that is not possible with about 90% of cars on the road that have rear seat head-rests.

However, I have a back-up camera that helps me navigate backing out of the garage, parking spots, etc. and it works great at night too!!!

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-26-13, 03:23 PM
TimRSRX777, thanks for kicking off this informative thread! I'm going to make sure to document the thread URL, so the proper GM teams can review everyone's headroom feedback. If you have any questions in the meantime, don't hesitate to send us a private message for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

b4z
04-05-13, 04:26 PM
I'm a long legged 6'9" and fit fine in the front. The rear is short on legroom and headroom

redvett94
04-05-13, 09:16 PM
If everyone bought american owned products our country would be much better off financially.

stevec5375
04-06-13, 03:48 PM
If everyone bought american owned products our country would be much better off financially.

I drove Japanese cars most of my life. Rarely did I ever have a problem with any of them. Before I purchased an SRX, the last 3 were Nissan Maxima, Infiniti I30t, Infiniti QX4. No problems whatsoever with these Japanese vehicles. I was looking at buying an Acura MDX in 2010. On my way home from the Acura dealership, I drove by the ONLY Cadillac dealership in Austin, TX. On a lark I decided to stop in and take a look but was not planning on ever purchasing another American car. I saw the SRX and was blown away that any American car would have such great looks and finish. In the end I decided to buy it and plopped down $40K in cash.

There is another thread on here which I won't repeat but it is the very long list of items I have had to have fixed under warranty. What makes this even worse is that my SRX just turned 21K miles. I can't tell you all the inconvenience this "American" car has caused for me and the countless trips to the dealer. I thought I was doing our nation and our local economy a favor by "buying American". Little did I know that I would have so much grief for it.

I have learned my lesson and won't be repeating this mistake going forward.

Sorry if this sounds like such a downer but it is the truth.

redvett94
04-06-13, 05:33 PM
In the past the Foreign MFR's were better but the last 3-4 years not so. All MFR's have defects and that includes the foreign vehicles.Even Rolls Royce and Bentley vehicles have problems just like anything made.

BTW we currently have a 2011 Buick Enclave with 45000 miles and it has not been back for warranty yet in 3 years.

2011 Auto Recall Numbers by Manufacturer
Rank
Manufacturer
Total Cars Recalled in 2011

Total 2011 U.S. Sales

Note: 2011 U.S. sales are only given to show a relative size of the auto manufacturer. Also, it should be noted that recalls may be for models from 2001 on.

Honda / Acura

Toyota

Ford

Chrysler

Subaru

Hyundai

General Motors

Nissan

Volkswagen

BMW

Mazda

Kia

Mercedes-Benz

American Suzuki

Volvo

Jaguar Land Rover

Saab

Porsche

TimRSRX777
04-06-13, 09:46 PM
TheCaptain, how about the two, style and function, co-existing peaceably together? I don't think the style of the current SRX would be hurt at all, or very little, if the rear of the greenhouse was raised 3 or so inches and the back side more vertical. The Style would not suffer any. GMJim, at least the better view to the outside and ample headroom made the "mobile aquarium" styling, in your opinion, of the first Gen vehicle immeasurably more comfortable and safer than the second Gen. redvett94 thanks for the additional unrelated information to this thread. It is interesting that the top three car manufacturers in that list manufacture less cars per year than they recalled in 2011. Meaning that they recalled multiple cars from multiples years, if I understand the list correctly?

jcarlilesiu
04-08-13, 01:42 PM
TheCaptain, how about the two, style and function, co-existing peaceably together?

I think the SRX style wise beats every other car in its class. As far as rear viewing and functionality, the SRX is about the same as any crossover. I have owned my car since the fall of 2009, and not once have I thought "I can't see whats behind me". With oversized mirrors, cameras, and a pretty generous rear window, I am not really sure what your complaints are about.

I hated the first gen SRX. It looked like a station wagon on steroids. Did that style make the car more functional? I don't think so.

PAO56
04-08-13, 02:49 PM
6 ft here and just traded in my 09 CTS for a 12 SRX performance...love the car..not problem with head room..I like the seat lower and my wife adjusts her's higher.....as for as vision out the back window I have no problems at all with visibility....the rear view mirror is more compact than the one in the CTS which took about a day to get use to it.....but not problems other than that....its a daily driver for my wife and the weekend vehicle for us both..

packardv8
04-09-13, 09:41 PM
Can you spell "troll"?

Those of us who own and drive the SRX know the virtues and the problems. This type post is just designed to stir the shit and draw reactions.

jack vines

TimRSRX777
04-10-13, 05:16 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by SomeGuyNamedJay

Yeah, I am 6'4" as well, but more evenly distributed I guess. The front was close but the back was ridiculously low. My brother and his wife are also both tall, and we go out a lot together. I love the styling of the car, but it certainly defines "form over function."

Fortunately it is my wife's car. I will be sticking to German engineering until the domestics decide that they can accommodate us 5%ers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above was from an owner and driver of a 2nd Gen. vehicle. I did not post this thread to "stir the shit", but maybe to get some honest opinions and "draw reactions". So far it sounds like a lot of owner/drivers are in somewhat of a denial mode about how much room their vehicle actually has or, in this case, does not have.

JWLaRue
04-10-13, 05:57 PM
Everyone has their own set of personal likes, dislikes, and preferences. Do you really care what others think? Why not just go to your local Cadillac dealer and test drive one. Then you'll know if the SRX suits you.

-Jeff

adamjeeps
04-10-13, 06:01 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by SomeGuyNamedJay

Yeah, I am 6'4" as well, but more evenly distributed I guess. The front was close but the back was ridiculously low. My brother and his wife are also both tall, and we go out a lot together. I love the styling of the car, but it certainly defines "form over function."

Fortunately it is my wife's car. I will be sticking to German engineering until the domestics decide that they can accommodate us 5%ers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above was from an owner and driver of a 2nd Gen. vehicle. I did not post this thread to "stir the shit", but maybe to get some honest opinions and "draw reactions". So far it sounds like a lot of owner/drivers are in somewhat of a denial mode about how much room their vehicle actually has or, in this case, does not have.

You are going to base your opinion on one comment? Again, I refer you to the sales numbers more than doubling per year over the first generation. I don't know about you, but I bet GM is quite happy that significantly more people are buying the new SRX than the old

From Edmunds.com 2009 SRX "With the smallish third row folded (or not selected), there are 32 cubic feet of cargo space, while a maximum of 70 cubes is available when both rear rows are dropped."

The current SRX 2013 from Edmunds.com "There's ample (if not overly generous) room for four adults, although the roof line -- particularly if the optional panoramic sunroof is in place -- definitely can pinch those in the rear. Cargo room is about average for the class: 30 cubic feet behind the rear seats and 61 cubic feet with both sections of the 60/40-split rear seatbacks folded down."

So it is no secret it is smaller, yet sales are very good. I still don't understand what point you are trying to make. Why should GM have done something different when what they did is working?

TimRSRX777
04-10-13, 08:21 PM
I didn't base my question on any one individual's comments but on my experience. The comment above was just to show that someone else had the same opinion that I do, because someone was implying that very few owners felt the same way. My point was even though sales are up quite a bit, I feel that GM/Cadillac could have probably improved sales more by incorporating more function in the form of a higher roof in back and paid a bit less attention to the current styling trend of making the greenhouse appear and feel as much like a gun turret sight as possible.

Ponyman
04-10-13, 09:26 PM
I am 6'2" and more pounds than I like to admit. This is our 2nd second gen SRX. While it is my wife's car, we do often take it on long trips, and I find that I have PLENTY of headroom. Perhaps your should have your eyes checked if you think your Gen 1 is more appealing than the new SRX. I passed one on the road this weekend and frankly it is a boat. You almost never see a first Gen SRX around here. Guess that tells you what people thought of it. Cadillac clearly has a winner here, as evidenced by the large numbers of people buying it. I hardly think they would be buying if they didn't find it visually appealing and comfortable. It may be your own opinion, and I respect that, but you are clearly in the tiny minority.

TheCaptain
04-11-13, 11:24 AM
A manufacturer can't build every vehicle to fit every size of person. That's why they build multiple types of vehicles. If you don't fit in one, keep on moving to the next one.