: Would 15 horsepower gain from a tune make a difference?

MoJo2001
03-22-13, 08:58 AM
Would I notice anything significant on a stock 2004 CTS-V if I had this done to it? Is it worth the price? Guy said it would give me 15-30 hp. Thanks.

Our total street performance tuning package $280.00

Read and reprogram your PCMs settings and perform real time scanning diagnostics for the best results
Increase power enrichment rate mode
Examine and change timing tables for additional horsepower & torque gain
Optimize your vehicles Air and Fuel Ratio monitored by the LM-1 wideband unit
Reduction of intake air temperature table (heat soak)
Desired rev limiter adjustments
Park, neutral, and in- gear idle adjustments with and without A/C active
Adjust power enrichment delay to immediate (*Transmission Performance*)
Engine torque management system reduced (*Transmission Performance*)
Transmission torque management system reduced (*Transmission Performance*)
Transmission shift points enhanced (*Transmission Performance*)
Transmission shift times reduced (*Transmission Performance*)
Transmission shift pressure firmness enhanced (*Transmission Performance*)
Skip shift deleted (CAGs 1st to 4th shift) (*Transmission Performance*)
Fuel injector rescaling for aftermarket injectors
Cooling fan activation temperature recalculated
Perform speedometer recalibration for rear gear ratio and tire size change
Turn off check engine light and remove trouble codes
Neutralize rear oxygen sensors

darkman
03-22-13, 09:05 AM
Hands on tuning is far more likely than mail order tunes to achieve the gains you are talking about. (I can't tell which kind you are looking at.) A good tune will give a noticeable power (you will notice 15hp) increase and improve your gas mileage.

MoJo2001
03-22-13, 09:43 AM
It is going to be an in person tune. Is $280 worth it? Based off of what I mentioned is this a good deal and will it make a noticeable diff? Thanks.

PISNUOFF
03-22-13, 10:37 AM
$280 is a fair price. I charge $250 for manual cars and $300 for automatics.

lollygagger8
03-22-13, 11:49 AM
Quit contemplating and just do it!

RyRidesMotoX
03-22-13, 02:26 PM
That's a great deal on a tune. For the LNF in the Cobalt SS with direct injection VVT and all that stuff, good custom tunes on HPtuners START at $400 most of the time. One of the many reasons I like the LS world... And in comparison tuning the LS is like operating a coal fired stove while an LNF is like a nuclear submarine.

xbladr
03-22-13, 09:24 PM
Damn Brian thats cheap care to come up here and give me a tune? The local guys who are real good charge about 400 for a tune.

Overd0s3
03-22-13, 11:48 PM
Damn Brian thats cheap care to come up here and give me a tune? The local guys who are real good charge about 400 for a tune.
Ya no kidding around here they are around 600-1000 for a tune (NJ area)
I wasn't going on that ride though, I drove out to get my tune.

I'm skeptical about anything changing as far as *Transmission Performance* goes, sans the skip shift

PISNUOFF
03-23-13, 11:35 AM
Maybe I should start a traveling tune company. Haha

JFensty
03-23-13, 05:26 PM
I'm sure you could get a full day booked up here. (Pa) I spent 500 for my tune and I have issues with my idle searching. Took it back once already.

odla
03-25-13, 04:15 PM
MoJo2001 where are you located?

Twitch
03-25-13, 04:38 PM
People get stuck on peak numbers. A good tune is a lot more than that. Driveability, throttle response, more tq/hp in the low to mid range RMP (where you are most of the time). These are the things you'll feel after a good tune.

Do some research on the tuner. Not every tune is a good one.

Also: If you do it, get a copy of your tune and post it on this or other trusted forums for someone with experience to look it over for you. Actually get a copy of your original tune with the new one.

Tony

RyRidesMotoX
03-26-13, 04:37 AM
I think part of the reason people get stuck on peak numbers is that, most get tuned on a dyno. Where you gauge a lot on hp numbers as opposed to fuel trims and ve,pe etc etc... I dynod a street tune I had dialed in on my last car and there wasn't anything I wanted to change driveability was great and numbers weren't bad. Power under the curve was phenomenal. Part of making good hp numbers is making it reliably. If you burn a piston from running too lean or knock, then the extra 10 HP from a few more degrees or a leaner tune is worthless.

joshuajohn1981
03-26-13, 07:52 AM
Anybody in here know any good shops to get a tune at in San Diego? If not, anywhere in Southern California?

cullingb
03-27-13, 05:26 PM
Any good tuners in Albuquerque, NM?

Naf
03-28-13, 02:24 AM
Why would you need

Transmission torque management system reduced (*Transmission Performance*)
Transmission shift points enhanced (*Transmission Performance*)
Transmission shift times reduced (*Transmission Performance*)
Transmission shift pressure firmness enhanced (*Transmission Performance*)

I think thats a waste of effort since you have a manual...

Find a local dyno that does Vettes and let them work their magic on your car...

You have the potential of gettin better mileage, as well as more power, but only if done properly

RyRidesMotoX
03-29-13, 07:09 PM
Anybody in here know any good shops to get a tune at in San Diego? If not, anywhere in Southern California?

There is Cunningham here in temecula, excellent shop, they do some nasty stuff with vettes, the owner rocks a c6 with enough power to alter the earths rotation. This is probably where I'm gonna go when I want to get engine work done since I don't have a lift and machining equipment and stuff: http://www.cunningham-motorsports.com/

Excelsior in San Diego... My dad's buddy had a car built there. http://www.excelsiormotorsports.com/c5-corvette-supercharger-418-ls2-stroker.html

JR Competition in Escondido. My buddy is having his Saturn Sky redline done there. Turbo swap along with extra injectors and tuning for ethanol. And if you can tune a LNF motor for ethanol you can do a LS engine no problem. From what I have seen they are doing great work. http://www.jrcompetition.com/

joshuajohn1981
03-30-13, 08:26 AM
Awesome! Thanks. I'm going to have some cash burning a hole in my pocket once I get my tax return so it's time for some upgrades. :)

JDB
03-30-13, 09:49 AM
I'm sure you could get a full day booked up here. (Pa) I spent 500 for my tune and I have issues with my idle searching. Took it back once already.

Who did you use? Once I get the time to install my Kooks, I'm thinking of using Mikey from Rapid Motorsports from Reading, PA who uses County Corvette's dyno (West Chester, PA). Quoted $300 for tune and $150 for dyno time.

RyRidesMotoX
03-30-13, 06:36 PM
Awesome! Thanks. I'm going to have some cash burning a hole in my pocket once I get my tax return so it's time for some upgrades. :)

Sweet... I owed another $1k this year so no such luck for me. In all honesty if you are the adventurous type, go buy HP tuners or EFI live on your own. Then learn how to tune your own car. There are tons of good guys on HPtuners forums will to help and I'm sure efi live has something similar.

JFensty
03-30-13, 09:36 PM
Who did you use? Once I get the time to install my Kooks, I'm thinking of using Mikey from Rapid Motorsports from Reading, PA who uses County Corvette's dyno (West Chester, PA). Quoted $300 for tune and $150 for dyno time.

Tune time in jersey. I wish he would have driven it some. Instead it was only on the dyno.

joshuajohn1981
03-31-13, 05:22 AM
Sweet... I owed another $1k this year so no such luck for me. In all honesty if you are the adventurous type, go buy HP tuners or EFI live on your own. Then learn how to tune your own car. There are tons of good guys on HPtuners forums will to help and I'm sure efi live has something similar.

Wow, I just checked out both of those. Sounds very interesting I'm just afraid it may be beyond my knowledge and/or ability. Is this what you do?

I actually just read a few reviews on the Wait4Me tune. I'm actually kinda interested although I'm guessing I'll be better off with one of the shops you mentioned.

RyRidesMotoX
03-31-13, 07:56 PM
I am kinda lagging on my V. But I am waiting to get off my ass and install the wideband sensor I have in my garage. I'm planning/paying for a wedding so time and money are at a premium.

joshuajohn1981
04-01-13, 04:48 PM
I am kinda lagging on my V. But I am waiting to get off my ass and install the wideband sensor I have in my garage. I'm planning/paying for a wedding so time and money are at a premium.

Congrats on that. We still need to link up sometime. I'd like to check out another V and get some opinions on mine. You ever in SD?

RyRidesMotoX
04-01-13, 07:13 PM
Congrats on that. We still need to link up sometime. I'd like to check out another V and get some opinions on mine. You ever in SD?

Not as often as when I was living in Carlsbad. I keep meaning to go to cars and coffee there but my work schedule dictates that I am busy on weekends. I'm hoping that will change soon so I can get to more meets and track days but only time will tell

joshuajohn1981
04-07-13, 05:59 PM
Not as often as when I was living in Carlsbad. I keep meaning to go to cars and coffee there but my work schedule dictates that I am busy on weekends. I'm hoping that will change soon so I can get to more meets and track days but only time will tell

I'm guessing we'll meet next Sunday for the Palomar cruise.

RyRidesMotoX
04-07-13, 08:01 PM
I'm guessing we'll meet next Sunday for the Palomar cruise.

For sure. I have to work that afternoon so I probably will go straight home after the cruise and skip the BBQ action.