: noise fron front end when pressing brake pedal

icaddy
03-21-13, 03:03 PM
My truck is 05 AWD 6.0L with 145k miles on it. Just this week I noticed that when I slowly press the brake pedal to stop the truck, there is a rubbing noise from front end, most likely the driver side. It doesn't sound like metal grinding noise, but it could be.

Recently I changed all brake pads, did an alignment, and upgraded wheels to 22 in. Not sure if this sound has anything to do with those changes. The rotors are a little bit rusted but still look fine. I did use grease when I install new pads and the guide pins.

At noon I got underneath the truck to see if I can find anything wrong, and found this ... I think this is sway bar? I squeezed the end plastic part and some grease leaked out. What is the black plastic part called? Was it worn out?

Thank you for your help

icaddy
03-21-13, 08:26 PM
bump up. Any suggestions please.

wake
03-22-13, 03:14 PM
Looks like the inner tie rod unless you're pointing at the thing behind it which is the half shaft.

It could be quite a few things, with 145K miles on it if the front end is all original it's all pretty worn by now. It could be ball joints, tie rod ends, even control arm bushings that all develop play in them over the miles.

Your best bet if you don't plan on fixing it yourself might be an alignment shop. They'll check the front end and let you know of anything that needs to be replaced. If you're going to tackle this yourself then jack up the front end and start wiggling things around until you find the source of the noise/play.

icaddy
03-25-13, 05:55 PM
Hi Wake

many thanks for your reply. Last weekend I changed all brake rotors and painted the calipers. It seems the guide pins in the front drive side were loose which caused the noise. Now the noise was gone... I got the drilled slotted rotors plus ceramic pads form ebay with total $238. I am very happy with the brake now. Here is the picture.

For now the inner tire rod does not cause any problem to me... I passed inspection last Dec and had wheel alignment in Feb and they did not say anything about the oily tire rod... but I think you are right the tire rods are getting worn for such a high mileage so I will probably change them when weather gets warm. We have snow here today

Fox2boost
03-25-13, 07:41 PM
eBay rotors are my bet, noise will be back. Drilled rotors suck unless you go super high end.

wake
03-26-13, 01:43 AM
I passed inspection last Dec and had wheel alignment in Feb and they did not say anything about the oily tire rod... but I think you are right the tire rods are getting worn for such a high mileage so I will probably change them when weather gets warm. We have snow here today

Sounds like you might live in VA. I'm in Stafford and had snow this morning as well.

----------

eBay rotors are my bet, noise will be back. Drilled rotors suck unless you go super high end.

I don't know what to make of eBay parts anymore.

I've had bad wheel bearings, two sets that only lasted 30K miles between them, made in China junk.

At the same time I see a lot of the parts that we used to have made in the U.S. are now made in China. Who knows what quality control exists anymore. I even quit buying Optima batteries, since they moved production to Mexico I haven't had one last more than a few years. My first couple of Optimas made in the U.S. were still going strong after 7 years.

the cadillac man
03-26-13, 02:17 AM
Sounds like you might live in VA. I'm in Stafford and had snow this morning as well.

----------

I don't know what to make of eBay parts anymore.

I've had bad wheel bearings, two sets that only lasted 30K miles between them, made in China junk.

At the same time I see a lot of the parts that we used to have made in the U.S. are now made in China. Who knows what quality control exists anymore. I even quit buying Optima batteries, since they moved production to Mexico I haven't had one last more than a few years. My first couple of Optimas made in the U.S. were still going strong after 7 years.

I agree about eBay not sure on optima batteries YET as I am on my second one the first one was defective (so glad it didn't rupture on me while I was on a road trip it was 300 miles round trip) plus I had worn belts(I think that was the most I was ever uneasy on a trip) but so far I haven't had a issue with my red top and it has been pretty cold at times here in Tennessee I just wish this darn snow would leave