: Help with troubleshooting this noise...

atlrus
03-20-13, 04:02 PM
2004 Escalade, 150K miles

So, about a week or so ago I began hearing this humming/whrrrring noise coming somewhere from the front of the Lade (differential, axle, brakes?)

The problem is - the noise is audible only when you are almost to a complete stop (around 10-15mph) until you come to a full stop and only after the truck has been over 40mph.

In other words, if you speed up to let's say 30mph and then slow down - no noise. There is no noise while driving, either.

Took it to my mechanic and replaced the transfer case, since he said it was to the point of me having no AWD, the t-case was that bad. That unfortunately solved nothing. Changed the diff fluids, no help.

I figured I ask here, maybe someone had this problem in the past and knows exactly what may be causing it. I really hope I don't end up replacing the front diff only to still have this noise...

Thanks

the cadillac man
03-20-13, 04:36 PM
2004 Escalade, 150K miles

So, about a week or so ago I began hearing this humming/whrrrring noise coming somewhere from the front of the Lade (differential, axle, brakes?)

The problem is - the noise is audible only when you are almost to a complete stop (around 10-15mph) until you come to a full stop and only after the truck has been over 40mph.

In other words, if you speed up to let's say 30mph and then slow down - no noise. There is no noise while driving, either.

Took it to my mechanic and replaced the transfer case, since he said it was to the point of me having no AWD, the t-case was that bad. That unfortunately solved nothing. Changed the diff fluids, no help.

I figured I ask here, maybe someone had this problem in the past and knows exactly what may be causing it. I really hope I don't end up replacing the front diff only to still have this noise...

Thanks

Sounds like a wheel bearing

jjtwomey
03-20-13, 05:21 PM
From what I hear the need to replace a wheel bearing is very common after the 100 150k mile mark

atlrus
03-20-13, 05:37 PM
Wouldn't a noise from a wheel bearing be louder at higher speeds? In my case the noise is non-existent until you start slowing down and it starts at about 15mph and slower.