: wont run

oilleak
03-20-13, 10:07 AM
have a 97 catera, has signs of leaking oil cooler or cracked head gasket. It will turn over but wont fire up and start running. Its got oil, getting fuel, and has a spark from plugs, all fuses are good. Could something electrical have gone bad, or the timing has jumped? Or did something internaly break in the motor?

kaustein
03-20-13, 10:13 AM
Crankshaft Positoning Sensor. CPS. VERY common problem on a Craptera!

oilleak
03-21-13, 12:31 PM
So that would cause the car not to run at all? Just turn over? Were is that sensor located?

retho78
03-21-13, 12:36 PM
If it's the CPS, then it's right next to oil filter and the wire goes up behind the upper intake, below the wiper arms / cowl cover area.

elvin315
03-21-13, 08:49 PM
When you replace it add some aluminum foil to extend the provided heat shielding. The wire's insulation gets cooked by the exhaust manifold. We think that's what causes the CPS to fail.

MoistCabbage
03-22-13, 07:27 AM
Sorry, I have to nitpick the acronym being used (but it will be informational :yup:).

It's not CPS. If it were, then what would cam position sensor be?

CPS - Central Power Supply
CKP sensor - CranK Position sensor
CMP sensor - CaM Position sensor

Out of curiosity, who supplied the OE CKPs for the Catera? There was a bad run of Seimens for the Northstar, the new ones are Denso.

kaustein
03-22-13, 10:00 AM
When mine went the dealer referred to it as the CPS.

PrimeTimeElite
05-07-13, 10:48 AM
I would have to look to be sure and I don't have ready access at the moment but to best of my recollection it's referred to as Camshaft Position Sensor, CPS, in the factory service manual and the parts stores use that terminology for the correct part for this car.