: non folding back seat

wongluk
03-20-13, 10:45 AM
Is there a way to make the one piece non-folding back seat foldable?

Yplus
03-20-13, 01:26 PM
Chop, Cut, Rebuild? :)

Think of it this way, torsional rigidity is up a fraction with a non-folding seat....

investor74
03-20-13, 01:28 PM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4124/4972660415_81079e424e_z.jpg

pragmatic
03-20-13, 10:34 PM
I'd like to know this also. The ATSs on Cars.com with the folding seats are ~$10,000 more than the base model (only looking at MT 2.0T cars).

wongluk
03-21-13, 02:56 PM
Luxury trim has foldable seats ($$$ just to get foldable seats)... So the seats are not necessary structural, maybe if the right screws are removed, it will become foldable...

Anyone who knows how to remove rear seats and trim?

AdamVIP
03-22-13, 06:30 PM
You can probably just swap the seat backs.

You mentioned the base trim and I thought the base trim was leatherette. Not sure if the 2.0L adds leather though. I know the 2.5 base is leatherette. The folding seats are all in leather so it may be a mismatch. The rear seat is also probably expensive. Its a big piece of leather.

With enough money this can most likely be done though.

Stevo Supremo
03-22-13, 10:38 PM
I have a 2.0 and I have pleather seats.. the leather is in the luxury package A.F.A.I.K

gfxbt
03-22-13, 10:59 PM
The luxury and premium trim levels have folding rear seats. Standard and performance do not. Doesn't make a lot of sense (clearly it isn't based solely on price). Some e36 M3/4s had non-folding rear seats. Those cars are now in High demand because of the increased structural rigidity. Don't know what BMW's intent was. I highly doubt Cadillac was thinking structural rigidity when making the folding/non-folding seat decision.

FluxTZ
03-24-13, 04:11 AM
The luxury and premium trim levels have folding rear seats. Standard and performance do not. Doesn't make a lot of sense (clearly it isn't based solely on price). Some e36 M3/4s had non-folding rear seats. Those cars are now in High demand because of the increased structural rigidity. Don't know what BMW's intent was. I highly doubt Cadillac was thinking structural rigidity when making the folding/non-folding seat decision.

I was just going to mention the same thing about the performance trim not having folding seats. Not sure why they did this either...

pragmatic
03-25-13, 07:41 PM
They did it to save money. BMW does not offer folding the rear seats on the 320 (low cost 3 series). They are standard on all other 3 series.

For the ATS (2.0T models):

Standard has a fixed rear seat no pass through
Performance has a fixed rear seat with a trunk pass through access door
Luxury has a split folding rear seat

I'll write it again I think engineering three different rear seat configurations is a waste of engineering resources to satisfy the marketing department.

gfxbt
03-25-13, 10:42 PM
That's interesting. Didn't realize performance had the pass through.

JackedupSOB
12-26-13, 01:58 AM
did any one ever find out an answer to the OPs question or try this DIY?

Stevo Supremo
12-26-13, 10:54 AM
I'll just say probably not, foldable seats have strikers that they grab when you flip them up to catch and hold the seats. The non folding seats dont have strikers, so they're not really gonna fold down, also, most folding seats are held in only by the striker latch and a pivot hinge at the bottom, I'd have to imagine these seats are held in by a pivot latch and fasteners up top.

JackedupSOB
12-27-13, 01:06 AM
That stinks, this is probably the only thing I would change about my car.

joekitch
12-27-13, 01:12 AM
turns out standard has a rear trunk passthrough, its just covered with cloth. good old GM
however because of GMs money pinching, retrofitting stuff is usually super easy, like the last gen CTS could easily have its rear seats swapped for split fold rears with a few bolts and some lifting, im certain it'd be just as easy in an ATS.

retrofitting a heated steering wheel is probably also quite easy, like it was on the CTS

Stevo Supremo
12-27-13, 12:06 PM
yeah GM parts are pretty easy to retrofit, I swapped all sorts of stuff into my SS cobalt, like a limited slip diff from the G85 packages and heated seats.

Kalibr
12-27-13, 07:00 PM
It's absolutely ridiculous that folding rear seats are not standard, as they are on even the cheapest car. I learned the hard way... wife bought curtain rods and when I went to fold down the rear seats, I discovered they wouldn't fold and didn't even have a passthrough.

tex2670
05-10-14, 04:05 PM
It's absolutely ridiculous that folding rear seats are not standard, as they are on even the cheapest car. I learned the hard way... wife bought curtain rods and when I went to fold down the rear seats, I discovered they wouldn't fold and didn't even have a passthrough.

BUMP.

I agree, but what makes even less sense, is that the Performance model doesn't have them. You spend the bucks to get the higher level trim, and you lose this great feature. Can it be THAT much of a detriment to the rigidity of the car?? I'm hoping they change this for '15, when I'm in the market.

sqkid89
05-10-14, 06:14 PM
I've got a Performance and its a pass through. I'm regularly checking ebay for a gray leather fold down seat back...

lsfourwheeler
07-16-14, 04:37 PM
Has anyone managed to make the conversion yet? I'm also looking into switching out my fixed seat back for a folding one.

sqkid89
07-16-14, 10:15 PM
Has anyone managed to make the conversion yet? I'm also looking into switching out my fixed seat back for a folding one.

I keep an eye on ebay now and then for something to pop up, as I'm not looking to buy new if I can avoid it. nothing so far for me unfortunately.

JackedupSOB
07-17-14, 01:41 AM
I'm thinking junk yards might have some I'm sure some ATS's have been totaled already

carpenter
07-17-14, 11:34 AM
If you search car-part.com* it will show who has what parts available. It lists 13 right now. Does not specify all that might be folding though (some show as folding)

*car-part is just a site for people/junk yard dealers to sell car parts, like an ebay, so it should be ok to post the address here. They don't actually sell anything themselves. I've blacked out the actual name and contact info that it shows for the sellers.
http://i.imgur.com/WkG7qST.jpg

sqkid89
07-17-14, 11:53 AM
If you search car-part.com* it will show who has what parts available. It lists 13 right now. Does not specify all that might be folding though (some show as folding)

Slim pickins' right now, but forgot to check there before. I put in a couple of emails for more info on the gray ones I found

JackedupSOB
07-17-14, 08:48 PM
thanks carpenter I didn't even know about that site

sqkid89
07-24-14, 10:21 AM
wrong color for my application, maybe someone else wants to give it a try?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131173344021

lsfourwheeler
07-26-14, 04:58 PM
Has anyone successfully fitted the folding seatback? I'm 90% sure it will change over without much trouble but that 10% of doubt is because the folding seats may require a catch to latch onto. There wouldn't be one on the base models that come without the folding seat.

nyinstaller
07-26-14, 07:06 PM
Yes the seats will retrofit. The body is the same and in both the floor and back deck metal it has attachment areas so if you had a donor car you shouldn't have any problem.

duneless
07-28-14, 02:21 AM
Not a bad price. I thought it would be more.
wrong color for my application, maybe someone else wants to give it a try?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131173344021