Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2002 STS Bottom end repaired early on.........questions

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Manic Mechanic 
#1 ·
I found out the engine in my STS apparently had some kind of bottom end problem early in it's life and was repaired under warranty. Bad piston or something. My question is, if it was taken apart at a dealer under warranty, what would they have likely done to the heads/block on re-assembly. Time serts?...........would they have just bolted it back together with no work on the threads? Any one know of a TSB regarding this? Maybe Chris can answer this.

#3 ·
The 2002 GM/Cadillac service manual has a chapter on specific types of thread repair, including cylinder block head bolt hole repair using inserts - but it does not say that every bolt hole must be inserted during normal or warranty repairs.

#5 ·
I thought about this after I posted. I didn't also make clear that my opinion is also based on the fact that the bottom end was already condemned. That's why I think if they started finding too much wrong, as in many stripped holes along with the bottom end work, they would have just totalled it and stuck in a warranty engine. It's all about costs, not spending more just to fix every last engine they ever built. To them it's just a commodity, they don't feel obligated to fix it all when they have a most cost efficient option that gets it done with a known good a lot faster.

Vernon

#6 ·
The exact wording in the system the dealer accessed (VIS, or whatever database they use now) said Piston and or Rings both banks?????
So, what?.........there were bad rings/pistons on both banks............I find that highly unlikely.............I suppose not impossible though.
Happened at approx 36,000 miles......not as early on as I thought. Anyone ever heard of this?
If they had replaced the engine, I would think that database would say as much.

So the question is did they cut corners on the job and compromise the integrity of the head gaskets/block threads?

I know the name of the dealer where it was done, hopefully they will give me additional info on the repair. It was only 5 years ago.

I guess I'll find out when the car starts overheating...........or doesn't.

#7 ·
Ah, there was a TSB for post-2000 N* engines... if they consumed excessive oil within the warranty period the dealer would update the rings to the newer style. I know it was 2000 model year, probably through 2002 but I'm not sure. That TSB was in one of the oil consumption threads here in this section.

#8 ·
Caddydrummer since we have to guess here's mine: They removed all the head bolts without a hitch (very low mileage then) and so they just put new ones in, torqued them to spec, and now you're still driving it without a problem just as GM engineered to to be. It's only when corrosion or bad metal enters the equation that it's a guarantee you'll have pulled threads. Remember it's not a guaranteed failure, even if the odds are it will.

Vernon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.