: Dealer Installed Timesert Question

outlaw1369
01-06-05, 03:54 PM
Having my 96 Deville timeserted. Upon cylinder head removal the block was repaired once with what appeared to be helicoils. Which method does the dealership use for these repairs? I am trying to determine if the original repair was done under warranty or if it was installed by a non-dealer mechanic. Due to the headgasket failure both cylinder heads required machining to correct warpage. We will be installing the bigserts for this repair. The timesert site claims that the bigserts are stronger than the regular timeserts. Got a good estimate on this repair 1300-1600$. I am looking forward to saving on coolant after the repair is complete!

Ranger
01-06-05, 08:51 PM
The dealer should use "Timeserts" as it is the only authorized repair and they should know that. Helicoils will not hold, as you have found out. "Bigserts" are for the second go around should a "Timesert" fail or is screwed up on instalation.

CAJUN-Z
01-08-05, 05:57 AM
Having my 96 Deville timeserted.<clip> .... Got a good estimate on this repair 1300-1600$. I am looking forward to saving on coolant after the repair is complete!

$1300-$1600 for what? You need to change valve stem seals, so the heads will have to be taken apart. Machining w/o "regrinding" valves is appx. $600. The timeserts aren't that bad to install. There is a guide plate in the kit (around $390 w/inserts). Who is doing the ass'y. after the machine work is done? Hope you know how to retime the engine...

zonie77
01-08-05, 12:10 PM
That sounds a little low. Has he ever done head gaskets on an N* ?

Not that I want you to pay more, just that he does a good job and doesn't cut corners if he feels he estimated too low. Does he have the Caddy manual? If not you may want to get one off ebay or helms. It doesn't have to be the exact year, should be close though. Most of the procedures stay the same.

Did you review the threads on head gaskets and engine pulling?

outlaw1369
01-09-05, 12:23 AM
This is his 4th N* timesert. 1st with the bigserts. He is a master mechanic with over 25yrs expierence. He grew up with my father and I have known him personally for 20 yrs. The heads were done by a local machine shop (400$). I have seen them and they are sweet. Waiting for the bigsert kit to arrive. 1300-1600$ estimate includes everything.

BeelzeBob
01-09-05, 12:29 AM
There is absolutely no reason to tear the heads apart or replace the valve stem seals. They are an excellent viton seal with a coil spring "garter spring" aroung the perimeter of the seal. The valve stem seals are designed as true lifetime parts as they are part of an assembly with the valve spring seat and seal together as one unit.

The valve seats and valves will ususally go at least 200K with no need for a valve job of any sort from what I have seen. Taking them apart for that is a complete waste of time and money.

The head gasket/timesert job should involve just removing the heads, doing the timeserts, cleaning everything up and reassembly. Tearing the heads apart will do more harm than any possible good.

outlaw1369
01-09-05, 01:09 AM
Heads were resurfaced at the machine shop. They did a nice job cleaning them up as well. I will bring my digital camera to work with me and try to get some shots of the bigsert install during my lunch break. Is there any type of break in period I should be aware of after this procedure?

outlaw1369
01-10-05, 01:36 PM
Update. Bigserts installed. Car will be ready on Wednesday. Total price 1950$ with tax.

BeelzeBob
01-11-05, 01:37 PM
No break in required.

blunted
02-17-05, 03:29 AM
OUTLAW... could you please refer me to your mechanic?? Greatly appreciated!!!

chevyorange
02-17-05, 12:01 PM
And does he recommend or have any friends in Seattle Washington???? :)

outlaw1369
02-17-05, 04:00 PM
Top Notch Auto Repair - 38 Yarboro Ave. - Albany, N.Y. 12205 - 518-453-9650 (Tom is the owner). I can also provide a copy of my work order if you would like.

blunted
02-17-05, 10:28 PM
Thanks Outlaw!! Was that a special price since you've known him for so long or is that the norm?

outlaw1369
02-18-05, 02:22 PM
That was the everyday price minus tax. Drove the car for a few days to ensure no leaks then I brought it back for the air conditioning freon fill (included). I also put a new radiator in myself just for good measure ($179.00) from Albany Radiator. The old one had some dings and lots of bars seal, aluminum head repair, pepper, etc.. had been running through it. The car has more horsepower now that the heads are sealing. Starts right up with no misfires or surging. I am saving a ton of money on antifreeze now too! Thinking about selling my 2000 Ram and buying another Cadillac.