: 99 deville sounds/runs awful

chuckdobbins
01-06-05, 04:35 PM
so my parents have a 99 deville, obviously they love the car but lately its been making them angry. about a month ago they put it for an alternator replacement ($500+). maybe 2 weeks later, they got the SES warning light. i checked the codes, and they were all history. it was all P#### codes as far as i can remember. ill go out and check them once the sleet clears. before the alternator replacement the car ran fine with no SES light.

the car has stalled out at stop lights a couple times in the last month or so. also at slower speeds (under 40 maybe) my parents have described it as feeling like its running on fewer than 8 cylinders. i guess it just lacks some power and sometimes stutters and nearly conks out when getting up to speed.

i thought that there may have been a spark plug or wire knocked loose when the alternator was replaced. my father brought it to our mechanic and he hooked it up to his diagnostics machine, it read EK4 or something, my father doesnt remember exactly. ill be sure to get the details on that. my father agrees on my plug/wire theory, but thinks there might be something more, like maybe some sort of valve not opening.

could it even be some sort if injection failure?

we're not all too familiar with this N* and any input would be appreciated very much. thanks.

BeelzeBob
01-07-05, 02:48 PM
If this just happened when the generator was replaced it may be due to an electrical problem with the system voltage. If the system voltage is too low the electronics that run the engine/car just plain do not like it.

Start the engine and put a VOM on the electrical system to see what the voltage is idling and driving. It may be that replacement generator is not compatible with that car (if it is an aftermarket or re-man unit) or is the wrong one....or something at the generator was not hooked up correctly.

chuckdobbins
01-07-05, 03:04 PM
the alternator was done by the dealer, so i would think it should be the exact same parts. oh well, will check that out. thx

elwesso
01-07-05, 04:17 PM
Well if it was done by the dealer.. Then just take it back there and have them fix ti...