: Potential owner looking for feedback about track days with the STS-V

SliderSMJ
03-19-13, 12:43 PM
Hello!

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on an 08 V as the price is just too good to pass! I have read different posts and have concerns about drag racing and track days on a road course with certain driveline parts getting too hot. Does anyone have a feedback from drag racing their car doing back to back runs? Or any feedback after putting the car through 20min track sessions?

I guess I am looking at the basics

1.) Engine - Will it overheat or run too hot? If so what mods do make it cool better
2.) Trans - Will this overheat and start to shift sluggish? If so what transcoolers do you guys like?
3.) Boost and intercoolers - Can the factory intercooler keep up? I have seen intercooler/heat exchanger upgrades
4.) Brakes - Will the stock pads and rotors live for a track day?

If there are posts about this I missed please let me know, I didn't find much when searching.

Needless to say Im not buying this car to just cruise around. I have no issue with extra maintenance etc... And I won't be beating on it all the time but I want to know I can give it a workout a couple times a year.

Thanks!!!

1madstsv
03-19-13, 03:04 PM
1. A good heat exchanger
2.trans cooler for road racing. 1/4 mile racing is ok with out.
3. Better brake pads would not hurt. Stock are not bad.
4.a good engine/trans tune.

The engine cooling is not to bad 160t and it should be fine. Trans will get hot if your driving hard for a while but at the 1/4 mile it's fine. Brakes are not to bad considering it's a 4500+lbs 4 door. They hold up good. The rearend will brake if you are not careful to keep it from wheel hoping. Even a little hop it will brake. I neve broke mine after 100+ 1/4 passes. But most do if the race the car.
The car can be a lot of fun if set up right. Good tires are a must no run craps. Hope this helps some. Ryan

1madstsv
03-19-13, 03:05 PM
This is my old 06 I now have a 08.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxwxiisBY7Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfQ8hs0zIxE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLOf27pQsI0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Some videos of me beating on it at the track and at my house.

YoungBlood_STSV
03-19-13, 03:54 PM
Hello!

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on an 08 V as the price is just too good to pass! I have read different posts and have concerns about drag racing and track days on a road course with certain driveline parts getting too hot. Does anyone have a feedback from drag racing their car doing back to back runs? Or any feedback after putting the car through 20min track sessions?

1.) Engine - Will it overheat or run too hot? If so what mods do make it cool better
2.) Trans - Will this overheat and start to shift sluggish? If so what transcoolers do you guys like?
3.) Boost and intercoolers - Can the factory intercooler keep up? I have seen intercooler/heat exchanger upgrades

If there are posts about this I missed please let me know, I didn't find much when searching.

Needless to say Im not buying this car to just cruise around. I have no issue with extra maintenance etc... And I won't be beating on it all the time but I want to know I can give it a workout a couple times a year.

Thanks!!!

1. There are additional heat exchangers that bolt up with relative ease to the car. From what I've seen they make a decent difference in keeping coolant temps down and would surely be effective on the track. The engine won't over-heat on the track but if you were flogging it for a full afternoon on a warm day you will see heatsoak and probably be down 100hp by the end of the day because of the heat. The heat exchanger will all but solve that issue.

2. I've never see anything about these transmissions overheating

3. The inter-cooler will keep up. The car was developed at the Nordschleife, GM was well aware this car would see track duty. That said, GM designed the car as a package and the inter-cooler does not have a lot of reserve capacity. Cooling on this engine is it's weakest point. It was built to be 470hp and is cooled appropriately. Adding power adds heat, and you'll need to address that if you want more power....But for ~$500, the front mount heat exchange is a nice add-on. The supercharger's inter-cooler is integrated into the engine's cooling. It's one system, try to trace all the hoses one day.

4. Brakes are fine, buy a set of race pads for the track and you'll be good to go.

5. As 1MadSTSv said, a good set of tires really helps out. You get much less feedback from the OE Pirelli's plus they'll lose grip quicker and with less warning.

Glad to hear you want to track the car, its a beast and a great time.

1madstsv
03-19-13, 04:51 PM
. The supercharger's inter-cooler is integrated into the engine's cooling. It's one system, try to trace all the hoses one day.

This is not true the heatexcanger and inter cooler are on there own system. They do not share fluid with the engine at all. To completely different systems. And you can get a nice heatexcanger for $200 that's what mine was shipped 2.5 years later still looks/ works great.

boomys10
03-19-13, 08:30 PM
you can get the one PGA has which is a good unit for about 220 now, checked prices not long ago. OR you can spend 300 on TimC's unit that doesnt have much feedback on it yet as far as IAT's and what not under back to back runs. its alot larger than the other available currently, thats for damn sure. lol

SliderSMJ
03-19-13, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the good info guys! More power, Im not worried about that for the moment. I just want to have fun with it (i.e. run it hard) with no issues, hence the direction I am thinking for the cooling.

Im basically comparing this to a similar year CTS-V, which seems a little track oriented. I want to see if I can have close to as much fun, and still have the STS-V. From what I can tell, stock to stock in a straight line the STS-V should be faster correct??? On a road course she will be a bit heavier for sure, but if it will get through the day I will do it :-)

Anybody out there ever do a track day with one??????????????

Thanks!
Ted

1madstsv
03-19-13, 09:18 PM
I have only autocrossed it 47-50 sec a run times 3-4 back to runs. With no issues.

TimmyC
03-19-13, 10:50 PM
Cooling upgrades and brake pads would be good enough for a first day. Then you could see what else needs it.

There are cheaper heat exchanger upgrades than mine, but none that bolt in directly and none that are larger or more efficient. The large transmission coolers that people have been using are not nearly as efficient as a radiator-style core. Mine bolts up with no fab work too.

I'm not sure a 160 thermostat is necessary but it probably wouldn't hurt. The STS-V already has two trans coolers, one in the radiator tank and one in front of the radiator. We also have an oil cooler. There are read outs in the car for oil temp and trans temp so it will be easy to keep an eye on those.

bigburban
03-19-13, 11:32 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/175852-differential-cooler.html

Probably only needed for high speed road course running.

1madstsv
03-20-13, 12:12 AM
Timmy pm the price for your heatexcanger the d3 one even with the fan and coolant tank suck big time. I let the old one go on the 06 go figure the $1800 d3 one is worse than my old eBay special.

SliderSMJ
03-20-13, 11:12 PM
Links to any products would be great, thanks!!

TimmyC
03-21-13, 01:26 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/281033-timmyc-bolt-heat-exchanger-upgrade.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/268877-timmyc-ported-throttle-bodies.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/271773-2-4-pulleys-here.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/257097-worlds-highest-flowing-sts-v-intake.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/275844-headers.html

GizmoQ
03-23-13, 10:54 PM
I've got a WS136 IC pump sitting in a box not doing anything, too. If you want crazy super cooling research InterChiller Super Chiller.

Interesting.... what you consider basics and not mention tires. Tires are going to make the biggest difference on a track day although its probably not worth the investment for a full set of wheels and tires for "a couple times a year."

boomys10
03-24-13, 09:00 PM
you wanna sell the pump gizmo? hit me up if so, I am in the market to get the coolings mods finished asap and have dave tune mine early next month.

Dr. Design
03-25-13, 05:01 PM
Hello,

Give us call if you are interested in tracking your STS-V. We spend a ton of time on the race track with properly prepared V's and can let you know what works best for your application. What tracks are you looking to hit?

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Hello!

Thanks!!!

Dave G
03-25-13, 10:42 PM
I heard lowering springs help (cough)

parkeraire
03-26-13, 07:56 AM

Hilarious:highfive:

06 STS Rob
03-26-13, 02:37 PM

Intakes are a big help too I would assume!!!

Dave G
03-26-13, 04:15 PM
Yea. But D3 is the only one making lowering springs.

06 STS Rob
03-26-13, 04:18 PM
Well, the only one that says they make em'..... We could go on but we don't want to thread jack, LOL