: Would original rear prevent you from buying an 04/05?

jcar302
03-19-13, 09:21 AM
Hey guys, i'm getting closer to buying a first gen v.
I've read the faq's over and over, pretty much have my modding plan layed out.

With what i plan for a budget i should be able to buy a pretty decent 04-07 with 75k miles or less.
She will be kept in the garage and i have a bendpak lift to work on it.

I know the rear thing has been beat to death, i've seen pics of the 3 versions, i've read about all the wheel hop and whining.

I'm still a bit concerned about buying a new used car and having the rear blowout right away.
I plan to do the drivers side gforce axles and whatever else you guys suggest to stop wheel hop and it's destruction. Is that enough on an early rear?

I was thinking $20,000 should buy me a pretty decent car, should i restrict the search to 04/05's with updated rears and 06/07's?
Here in NJ it would appear black v's fetch more than the other colors (i only want black now that i have a garage to keep it in).

Mod's would likely be whatever is needed to the rear, CAI, lowering, headers, tune. If that doesn't cut it, i'll do the cam.

I drive pretty aggressive, but i have an 03 cobra powered foxbody to really beat on.

Really i'm just concerned about getting it home and needing an entire rear for $1500 (or whatever it costs).

Aftermarket warranty's work on bolt on cars? I know someone (bit of prick) that sells them, he says if his company does a spot check, they void the warranty even for a CAI and you don't get a refund because you voided the contract, this sound right?

Thanks for any input,
Joe

shadybx7
03-19-13, 11:32 AM
no, all the diffs whine no matter what gen, the latest gen has the best design. IMO dont use a solid pinion brace or if its on there take it off.. the stock case cant take the beating caused by the solid pinion brace. i have seen plenty of guys blow the pinnion right off. this info comes from a Cadillac tech
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/187006-another-diff-bites-dust.html#post2086941

Do cradle bushings right off the bat, just like cobras, these cars will hop all day if you don't have aftermarket bushings allover the rear cradle.. axles will help but bushings will get you more bang for your buck.. if youre really serious go 8.8. I love mine, feels like an entirely different car

rand49er
03-19-13, 12:55 PM
^^^ Yeah that.

Plus, I wouldn't do just one axle; do both to get the maximum WH reduction.

HAMSTAR
03-19-13, 01:21 PM
If I were to buy a car without the latest diff, it would be because I intended to put the 8.8 in.

CTSV_510
03-19-13, 02:48 PM
I have a car already built with an updated 4th gen rear end, wheelhop axles, etc pretty much everything. The rear end is very strong at this point and I have no wheelhop or breakage concerns whatsoever. I haven't started a for sale ad yet but I was going to list it for $23k soon to see if there were any buyers out there. You may be interested and I'm just 30 min west of Philly.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v/1623606-thinking-selling-what-my-car-worth.html

jcar302
03-19-13, 03:47 PM
I have a car already built with an updated 4th gen rear end, wheelhop axles, etc pretty much everything. The rear end is very strong at this point and I have no wheelhop or breakage concerns whatsoever. I haven't started a for sale ad yet but I was going to list it for $23k soon to see if there were any buyers out there. You may be interested and I'm just 30 min west of Philly.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v/1623606-thinking-selling-what-my-car-worth.html

Well, that car would be right up my alley, nearly exactly what i'm interested in.
With that said, i'll still need to sell off my Saleen Explorer xp8 to fund it. That could range from days, to weeks to months based on how i price it.

Doesn't help either that with your car i'd have nothing to work on, lol. You pretty much have everything. I'm a driver and a hobbyist at the same time.
Your price seems to suggest you are motivated to sell, it's better than some i see for cars far less appealing.
If it's still around when i'm truly ready to buy, i'd certainly be interested.

The basic reason behind making this post is that when i do buy, i'd rather use the toy fund to buy add ons and mods that i desire, just feels like money in the garbage to have to drop over a grand just to fix up a rear that is better in the 06/07.
Rebuilding the rear doesn't concern me when it comes to whining, replacing it because it grenaded does.

CTSV_510
03-19-13, 04:41 PM
I'm not all that motivated to sell, I'm in no hurry to do anything but I would take $23k for it today if there was a buyer.

If you want to do work it could use a cam :)

I'll be around feel free to contact me.

-Tom

9t8z28
03-20-13, 05:18 PM
My original 04 diff with 70K doesn't wine at all. Do cradle bushings and axles. They don't explode as soon as you pull out of the parking lot. Remember, you don't want it to severely wheel hop, thats when it'll blow up.
no, all the diffs whine no matter what gen, the latest gen has the best design. IMO dont use a solid pinion brace or if its on there take it off.. the stock case cant take the beating caused by the solid pinion brace. i have seen plenty of guys blow the pinnion right off. this info comes from a Cadillac tech
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/187006-another-diff-bites-dust.html#post2086941

Do cradle bushings right off the bat, just like cobras, these cars will hop all day if you don't have aftermarket bushings allover the rear cradle.. axles will help but bushings will get you more bang for your buck.. if youre really serious go 8.8. I love mine, feels like an entirely different car

lollygagger8
03-21-13, 08:47 AM
Mash it til blows up and buy a 9" or 8.8" rear end.

P.S. Grow a pair.

robojesus
03-21-13, 08:51 AM
my 1st gen is holding up just fine with over 500 wheel.

jcar302
03-21-13, 09:06 PM
They don't explode as soon as you pull out of the parking lot. .

Ya, maybe all my reading has made me paranoid. Sorta starting feeling like they were made of glass. Part of the problem may be most of the posts i've read are years old, before some of the advances were made in add on parts for the stock rear.

Sounds like i have about the same chance of blowing up any of them.

8.8 stuff is easy for me to get, so i guess it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Opens me to find quite a few more cars.

As far as growing some balls, typically i have had more problems with my brains than my balls, that's why i'm doing my best to know what i'm getting into. My last project got totally out of control financially, luckily my buddy owns a mustang shop.

Anything i truly need to watch out when considering a purchase?