: Need information from those who have done repairs before

odthetruth
03-19-13, 03:03 AM
I was involved in an accident all of 2 days ago, where a honda got sideways from the middle lane to the left lane (where I was) in front of me on the highway and I ended up T-boning him.

The police report has all the details, etc, and I don't feel like posting pics because in all honesty, I'm supremely pissed off. I had just finished painting and doing all maintenance needed when this goes and happens.

Airbags didn't deploy and everyone is ok, but that doesn't change the fact my car is in pretty bad looking shape.

The damage consists of the following, from what I can see:
-Front passenger side fender
-Front passenger side headlight
-Hood
-Bumper cover
-possibly bumper reinforcement bracket (haven't had time to take everything off, waiting on adjuster)
-wiper fluid drained out completely, so I'm assuming that wiper fluid container is cracked or damaged. I believe the pump to be in working order.
-horn is no longer working. I believe this to be electrical

I need all the information you guys can provide about repairing and reaching every part and what to look at. I'm planning on picking up a fender and a hood from a V6 CTS hopefully this weekend from Harry's U-Pull-It in PA (hopefully in black). I'm assuming both will fit without much issue? I plan on removing headliner material from the hood to clear strut tower brace if need be.

The wheel well liner is in good shape and doesn't need replacement. Again, I haven't assessed any damage other than what is visible, but drivability is still 100% fine (minus ability to use wiper fluid or horn). Wipers work fine.

The car has 134,040+ miles as of today and has served me very well with absolutely no real expensive maintenance needed. I lost my V6 in much the same way, as it ended up being a total and I got $10k for it. I don't see how this can end up being my fault, but if this does end up being a total (which I'm not hoping for)... I plan on keeping it to rebuild it with whatever money should come from ins.

I know the bumper is going to be a hard part to source, as well as the HID optioned headlight.

I am interested in how exactly to remove the fender and if there are any bolts I should know in odd places / maybe hidden? I know there will be some accessible in the wheel well, and I believe I saw some accessible from the engine compartment. Full details would help out big time.

D3l7a3ch0
03-19-13, 08:07 AM
wow, i'm sorry, and i'm glad you're ok.

this is a video that shows how to replace the headlights, but everything has to come off

http://autorepairfaq.com/auto-repair-tips/how-to-install-replace-change-headlight-and-bulb-cadillac-cts-03-07-1aauto-com.html

ebay has a lot of parts available, even fender liners. I had this bumper link open yesterday... I have no need for a new bumper, but I saw that it was a nice bumper

http://www.topnotchautoparts.com/front-bumpers/custom-options-bumper-1419.html

I've seen the aluminum impact bars available, and quite a few other 03-07 CTS parts

these are the headlights I ordered (look great, inexpensive--but you lose the sprayers)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-07-Cadillac-CTS-Halo-BLK-Projector-Headlights-BLK-Left-Right-Front-LED-DRL-/190808460993?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACTS&hash=item2c6d120ec1&vxp=mtr

this is the grille that clicks into place, great fitment with the exception of the four holes that secure along the top of the radiator. haven't been able to find a matching lower grille though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-07-CADILLAC-CTS-SPORT-FLAT-BLACK-FRONT-HOOD-MESH-GRILLE-GRILL-UPGRADE-/281080734641?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACTS&hash=item4171b7a3b1&vxp=mtr

if you're set on the OEM mesh upper grille I ... suppose I'd be willing to part with mine, which was removed the day before yesterday (Sunday). I still have the box the plastic one arrived in.

everything seemed to be held together with those plastic push-type clips(the ones that work like drywall anchors). other members have linked websites selling assortments of those clips.

rand49er
03-19-13, 09:52 AM
Wow, so sorry to hear about this. Just hope you hit that car hard enough to send it back to Japan.

odthetruth
03-19-13, 06:45 PM
Wow, so sorry to hear about this. Just hope you hit that car hard enough to send it back to Japan.

Its a total loss. It almost folded in half. I'll put up pics once the decision is final for insurance.
I'm familiar with headlight replacement, and how to remove that... the main thing is the fenders and whether there are other spots that i should look. the main ones i know to look are normally behind the front doors, inside wheel liner, and under hood. i'm not sure which exact bolts it might be and i'd like to see how to take it off or get a good general idea before I go pull apart fenders with hand tools at a junkyard.

HAMSTAR
03-19-13, 06:51 PM
Sorry, man. This is the line we ride with our cars being this age. Even a minor accident could be a total.

I saw this CTS-V front clip on craigslist, may be of interest to you:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/3600495267.html

D3l7a3ch0
03-19-13, 08:31 PM
that front clip is awesome, and it's close-ish (right?)

NC-V
03-19-13, 11:19 PM
That sucks man! Your car was looking good too!

Hopefully it didn't do any structural damage to the unibody of the car. I would have an alignment done first to make sure the front subframe didn't get tweaked or mounting points skewed.
You can look for any cracked paint, or cracks/splits in the seam sealer where panels are bonded or spot welded together. Those would be a possible area that got stressed or bent.
Also, I have a set of factory V HID headlights that I will let go for pretty cheap if you need them.

tommy compton
03-20-13, 12:09 AM
Sorry to hear, hopefully it's an easy fix.

D3l7a3ch0
03-20-13, 01:34 AM
that said, I'll offer you my factory headlights for free if you pay shipping. tomorrow, they're being swapped with the aftermarket ones (which arrived today). I also have the box for them.

the driver side is older than the passenger side, and has yellowing in the plastic. I hear that can be buffed out.

pic from yesterday, of your free headlights and the abs plastic grille... not such a bad look, can be had for cheap.

if you want just the passenger side headlight, i can send just the one. it has very slight peeling of the clear on the top surface of it, the rest looks pristine

... the wiper fluid might've drained from the headlight sprayer? (regarding the way your wiper fluid drained out.)

http://i.imgur.com/ZjedL0G.jpg

odthetruth
03-20-13, 01:47 AM
That is definitely much appreciated and I will take you up on that offer.
I'm sure the driver side light can be sanded down and restored. I really only need pass light. My drivers side works fine and is in good shape.
Might want to keep that in case someone else might need one further down the road.

odthetruth
03-21-13, 07:03 PM
Updates:

Horn is semi-repaired. I didn't like driving without it.
1 of 2 of the horns need replacement from the sound of it. It sounds sad. LOL

Wiper fluid container doesn't look damaged. Hose that connects to pump was disconnected at the bottom. Reconnected but didn't fill it.

Ordered a grill and waiting on the headlight, and this weekend hopefully finding fender, hood, and v6 bumper.

robojesus
03-21-13, 07:40 PM
delta, good karma heading your way bro.

The unibody is very likely fine. the horn (which is dead centered on the front bumper support) is probably broken inside from the impact. replacement horns are very reasonable priced. You should take a good look at your cradle just to ensure everything is legit (which I'm sure it is, especially since you didn't do enough impact to break your A/C condenser or radiator).

you SHOULD S H O U L D (as in, I can't promise anything since I didn't see it), be able to get away with a hood, fender, bumper headlight, grille, and fluid tank, oh and also the horn module).

The airbags not deploying is huge. It means you either didn't hit it hard enough to deploy them (aka your shit is going to be fine with new panels), or you didn't hit the sensor trigger area.

I think you'll be fine and get the car back using used parts, and even pocket a couple bucks... maybe buy that supercharger you always wanted... in all seriousness though, while that front end is off, you could always consider throwing a little cam action in there.

----------

Updates:

Wiper fluid container doesn't look damaged. Hose that connects to pump was disconnected at the bottom. Reconnected but didn't fill it.

Ordered a grill and waiting on the headlight, and this weekend hopefully finding fender, hood, and v6 bumper.

why are you getting a V6 bumper? the grille isn't the only difference. the v6 bumper has a long narrow strip in the bottom, whereas the V has the thick narrower mesh.

----------

Updates:

why are you getting a V6 bumper? the grille isn't the only difference. the v6 bumper has a long narrow strip in the bottom, whereas the V has the thick narrower mesh.

D3l7a3ch0
03-21-13, 08:09 PM
I cleaned it up and it's double boxed...

I got a little tape-happy with the box, took it prisoner really... you'll see.

I'm headed to the UPS store now.

delta, good karma heading your way bro.

I... I'm sorry I didn't quite catch that, I could've sworn I heard you say something nice

Kingoftypos
03-21-13, 08:17 PM
To add to the above, if you get the CTS bumper. You'll need to grab the fog lights too, or at least the bracket for the CTS fog lights. As the CTS V bracket has the opening for the cooling of the brakes. And the plastic liner, assuming the wheel wells up front, will be different between the CTS and CTS V.

As for the hood, you should be ok as long as the hood is from an 05 to 07 CTS. The 03 won't fit, but I am not sure about the 04. Were they the same for the 3.2 and the 3.6, I really don't know.

Is the horn really located in the grill area? On the CTS, it's located just behind the drivers fog light housing.

When I had my accident back in 2009, my air bag did not deploy either. When I looked into it, I noticed the airbag sensor is located on the radiator support. Can't remember if its in front or behind it. But I do know that whenever I put the pedal to the metal to catch you V guys, right around 85mph (maybe perfectly 88mph lol) my check air bag light turns on. It happens to be that frontal sensor. So if your air bag light ever turns on, it maybe that sensor. I didn't have this problem before the accident either.

KOT

D3l7a3ch0
03-21-13, 08:51 PM
the horns are behind the V mesh grille to the 10 o'clock position of the Cadillac emblem (when facing the car) .. it's in front of the radiator.

I would go with the reconditioned V bumper for $350 and get it painted... it's primered, too

I'd also go aftermarket with the hood, something with a hump on it!

odthetruth
03-21-13, 09:52 PM
I definitely plan on getting a V bumper, and I'm familiar with the differences... the issue is the timing it would take to order said V bumper, and have it painted, etc... If I can find a V6 bumper on my trip to Harrys and pay ~$40 for it, I will use it until the V one is ready, and then just be rid of the V6 bumper. Beats the bumper I have on right now for sure... which has the bottom mesh destroyed, the top frame of the grill damaged, and a decently sized crack in it.

I'd only be using V6 only until V bumper is ready.

I was looking into the hoods, but I may or may not go this route, depending on pricing and ins check, etc. They don't seem to be cheap.
I've really been thinking about maggie or cam.

D3l7a3ch0
03-22-13, 01:42 AM
running an unpainted hood or bumper or fender on a V is a high-quality problem. people will still envy you

even running without a bumper? or hood? maybe just one at a time

odthetruth
03-22-13, 02:05 AM
running an unpainted hood or bumper or fender on a V is a high-quality problem. people will still envy you

even running without a bumper? or hood? maybe just one at a time

I'm hoping to pick up the panels in the proper color also to save me time and money on painting, best case scenario. So everything will still be in correct paint, and not just primed panels.

D3l7a3ch0
03-22-13, 02:07 AM
absolutely, I love that about black

I've found myself eyeing base CTSs on the road, for their body panels

Kingoftypos
03-22-13, 04:16 AM
absolutely, I love that about black

I've found myself eyeing base CTSs on the road, for their body panels

You can leave mine alone. Lol

KOT

D3l7a3ch0
03-22-13, 05:51 AM
two men enter

one man leaves

Andringa
03-22-13, 11:29 AM
FYI, I'm not sure about the normal CTS, but I'm pretty sure the CTS-V hood is Aluminum. Just so you are aware when sourcing parts from the junk yard.

Nobody has mentioned them yet, but http://www.clevelandpickapart.com/ usually has V parts at reasonable prices and quick shipping.

Good luck, hope everything works out with the insurance.

D3l7a3ch0
03-22-13, 11:52 AM
holy shit http://www.clevelandpickapart.com/cadillac_cts_v.html

whoa, no filter on the forums? shit **** ****

shit? shit shit shit

Andringa
03-22-13, 12:27 PM
holy shit http://www.clevelandpickapart.com/cadillac_cts_v.html

whoa, no filter on the forums? shit **** ****

shit? shit shit shit

Yeah I have a feeling that most V owners will tear up a bit when they see that page. Picture after picture of destroyed Vs.

D3l7a3ch0
03-22-13, 12:33 PM
the heading of "new arrivals" reminds me of The Brave Little Toaster or Cars...

a cheerful announcement if it's true that misery loves company, and cars were... alive

did you click on any of the specifics, all that's available on some of them is one or two pieces of trim or a side mirror, and not because they've been picked already. all those parts out of that?? (http://www.clevelandpickapart.com/specs/2013/09whiteDiamondCadillacCTSV.html) somehow I doubt it

od you might get lucky--forget a cam, get an LSA drivetrain!

odthetruth
03-22-13, 05:15 PM
To add to the above, if you get the CTS bumper. You'll need to grab the fog lights too, or at least the bracket for the CTS fog lights. As the CTS V bracket has the opening for the cooling of the brakes. And the plastic liner, assuming the wheel wells up front, will be different between the CTS and CTS V.

As for the hood, you should be ok as long as the hood is from an 05 to 07 CTS. The 03 won't fit, but I am not sure about the 04. Were they the same for the 3.2 and the 3.6, I really don't know.

Is the horn really located in the grill area? On the CTS, it's located just behind the drivers fog light housing.

When I had my accident back in 2009, my air bag did not deploy either. When I looked into it, I noticed the airbag sensor is located on the radiator support. Can't remember if its in front or behind it. But I do know that whenever I put the pedal to the metal to catch you V guys, right around 85mph (maybe perfectly 88mph lol) my check air bag light turns on. It happens to be that frontal sensor. So if your air bag light ever turns on, it maybe that sensor. I didn't have this problem before the accident either.

KOT

Yup. Horn is right there in grill area on V. Its slotted into the bumper reinforcement from what it looks like. You release a 10mm, lift up on the horn bracket and both horns come off.

Yeah I have a feeling that most V owners will tear up a bit when they see that page. Picture after picture of destroyed Vs.

That was painful to see. Called in to Cleveland after seeing some of those pics... No parts I need from those cars in pics left. Seems the pics might be old, they said.

robojesus
03-22-13, 05:16 PM
I would strongly suggest against doing business with CPAP. They made it a point to try and hide broken mounting tabs on a ground effect they had sold me, and wouldn't refund my purchase price (85-25 to ship is 60, -a 25 percent restocking fee is 45, - 25 to ship back to them, they would have given me 20 dollars back). I had to contact my credit card company to dispute the charges, and I did, and won, thankfully.

odthetruth
03-22-13, 05:46 PM
I would strongly suggest against doing business with CPAP. They made it a point to try and hide broken mounting tabs on a ground effect they had sold me, and wouldn't refund my purchase price (85-25 to ship is 60, -a 25 percent restocking fee is 45, - 25 to ship back to them, they would have given me 20 dollars back). I had to contact my credit card company to dispute the charges, and I did, and won, thankfully.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. Tomorrow I should be going early to the PA Pick a part. I called 1 spot and they told me they had NO CTS in stock, and called another and he told me they have a 2000ish CTS in stock (so I believe that should be it). I'll just pass thru and see what I can find. I figured with all the cars lost to hurricane sandy, shouldn't be too hard to find what I need.

JDB
03-23-13, 02:50 PM
Sorry to hear :(

I'm in PA if you need someone closer to check salvage yards.

CPAP definitely has older pics. I've called about Vette FRCs, wheels, shifter surround ...nothing yet see stuff in pics. ...even from "New Arrivals".

Aren't V hoods lighter than base CTS? Carbon Fiber options??

D3l7a3ch0
03-23-13, 07:48 PM
carbon fiber = expeeenssive

as in $2.5k - $3k

FuzzyLogic
03-23-13, 08:11 PM
We really don't have a lot to go on, now that Spectre Werkes went out of business or whatever. Extreme Composites is basically the only aftermarket option.

I still have my Extreme Composites hood in the closet, awaiting the day when I can be without my car for a week. When that happens, I'll be trying to get rid of an OEM infrared hood.

branland
03-23-13, 08:33 PM
I've got a hood you can have for the cost of the box and shipping. (It will be coming from CA) It has a small dent in the front. I'll send you some pics if you like.

D3l7a3ch0
03-23-13, 08:43 PM
I've got a hood you can have for the cost of the box and shipping. (It will be coming from CA) It has a small dent in the front. I'll send you some pics if you like.

****ing awesome brosef. I love where this is going

"we can rebuild him, we have the techn... spare parts"

this shit is so win. anyone have a bumper??

There's perks--I put up a headlight and now I get to say "shit" ... for a hood you'll probably get something like "****" or "****"... a bumper is "mother****er" territory

odthetruth
03-23-13, 11:37 PM
I'll definitely take the hood. Drop it to my email. I sent you my email and info if you're taking paypal.

[edit]
My search today only found a gray hood and the guy was asking 200... so I contemplated it, but wanted to see how the search went on and maybe find a better one that I wouldn't have to paint.

odthetruth
03-28-13, 06:04 PM
Headlight, grill, horn, and push pins are here and bumper should be here by Tuesday.
Thanks to D3l7a3ch0 for the headlight...
Thanks to J W, I got a fender on eBay...
and thanks to branland, who is in the process of trying to figure out how to mail me a hood. LOL

To me, this thread in itself stands as a testament to the V community.

joshuajohn1981
03-29-13, 07:00 AM
I love this. This is exactly what these forums should be. A community coming together. So much better than the "To Those That Said They Were In" thread... Haha

RyRidesMotoX
03-29-13, 02:07 PM
Just an FYI... Greyhound ships large objects like that. You take it to a greyhound depot put it on a bus bound for the far east and watch it drive away. Its not any cheaper than ups or anything but they shouldn't have a problem with it. I sent a set of wheels ages ago with them to Florida. The received has to pick it up at the depot nearest them though. I'm not sure if that has changed or anything.

Kingoftypos
03-29-13, 03:31 PM
Just an FYI... Greyhound ships large objects like that. You take it to a greyhound depot put it on a bus bound for the far east and watch it drive away. Its not any cheaper than ups or anything but they shouldn't have a problem with it. I sent a set of wheels ages ago with them to Florida. The received has to pick it up at the depot nearest them though. I'm not sure if that has changed or anything.

They still do it. And it is a little cheaper. Mainly because its not delivered to the door step, but like you said to the nearest Grey Hound bus depot.

I had my bumper shipped that way a few years ago.

KOT

D3l7a3ch0
03-30-13, 04:05 AM
My radiator from alradco arrived fast and the size of the box was a surprise (big & heavy)..

It shipped for $27 thru FedEx, from what I understand

Od! The pictures for the wire thing--I took them, then left for TX without sending them... I'm leaving for LA in the morning, I will send them when I get back (I have my grandmother with me, so I am making the drive the responsible adult way and stopping to sleep, midpoint-ish... I will be back at my computer sun evening)

Sorry about the punctuation and any other errors... Sent from my iPod nano

odthetruth
04-02-13, 06:57 PM
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/2013-04-02174604_zpse9f633be.jpg

The CTS-V couch.
Either way, fender is already here, just sitting in Greyhound. I pick it up tomorrow. Also, I should have final decision by tomorrow after 3pm as to what the other guys insurance is covering. (which should be everything)

I have to wait on that decision and then get the estimate before I start unpinning and replacing things.

D3l7a3ch0
04-03-13, 01:35 AM
ok, i'm jealous of the new bumper

unpinning and replacing things and installing the new supercharger you buy from insurance payout??

scratch that, not a good idea, maybe a trans... one of those 6000 series newer Tremecs

Kingoftypos
04-03-13, 02:45 AM
The CTS-V couch.
Either way, fender is already here, just sitting in Greyhound. I pick it up tomorrow. Also, I should have final decision by tomorrow after 3pm as to what the other guys insurance is covering. (which should be everything)

I have to wait on that decision and then get the estimate before I start unpinning and replacing things.

I'm guessing the cops determined it was his fault and you had no way to void the accident?

KOT

odthetruth
04-03-13, 06:52 AM
I'm guessing the cops determined it was his fault and you had no way to void the accident?

KOT

Police report states that he swerved to avoid a taxi and then slammed brakes and then lost control and went sideways on highway at speed. States I braked but could not stop in time and made contact with him. Report shows damage areas as his driver side door, and my pass side front.

He told ins that he was clipped by the cab, which he didn't tell police... so again, looks good in my favor. I have to wait until 3pm today (the 3rd) from what they've told me (at least, thats what they told me... 3pm today).

LOL @ D3. As much as I would have loved to bolt up a nice maggie and grenade my differential, I've decided against it for now. Assuming insurance doesn't make me chase them down and fight for this... I'm estimating something along the lines of 7-8k total for the check.

Possible items to repair if Ins check is within 8k
==============================
Harmonic Balancer 100
Harmonic Balancer Bolt 10
Rear Trailing Arm bushings 95A Red 50
Rear Cradle bushings 95A Red 160
Aluminum Flywheel / LS7 Clutch 750
Tires 1000
Powdercoat wheels 400
New home PC 300
Road force balance 120
GM Cold Climate Power Steering Fluid 45

Thats how my list breaks down for the check. Odds are I will be able to snatch the tires for less than 1 grand, and if so, I'll use the rest plus some on brake pads. LOL My harmonic balancer could use replacement, and my power steering fluid could use a flush.

My Pirelli P Zeros are actually in really good shape but they don't come in the size I'm looking for, so I'll probably get rid of them. 3 are pirelli, 1 I lost thanks to a NYC pot hole, so its a Ventus. Might just go Ventus all around.

Mr.electric
04-03-13, 07:36 AM
I've been rebuilding an 04 Deville with a smashed fender and head light. Airbags did not deploy, condenser survived. That being said I was surprised how much the inner fender moved. I bought the car salvage title so I was expecting some work to be needed but it has been more involved than expected. I used a slide hammer to bring the fender mounts into line. I screwed a long bolt through the threaded mounting holes and pulled the sheet metal about 3/4" over one mount point at a time. Used a short sledge hammer to straighten other areas. All the wrinkles are covered with the fender and bumper cover. It looks good but not perfect. Exact fender/ hood / headlight alignment is difficult. I might give parts alignment another shot sometime in a few months. I found a local (2hrs drive) wrecker and got a much better price than ebay on a color match fender. Turns out it is ever so slightly lighter shade. Finally got to drive the car yesterday and I'm feeling good that I have put in all this work. It is a really high quality car.

D3l7a3ch0
04-03-13, 07:37 AM
that accident I told you about--other party's company was ... [a big name insurance company known for its litigious nature]... two days after the police report was released, I was told the other party's recorded statement conflicted with the report, and the repairs will be covered by their insurance... win!

I didn't notice the scuffs on your rim until just now... that part would upset me more than the body work

wait, you had plasti-dip wheels... and they're paying for a powdercoat! are you going to have it done? oop nvm i'm dumb, that's your upgrade list. (double checked after the home PC lol)

odthetruth
04-05-13, 08:37 PM
Befores:
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/2013-04-04140345_zps247a19a8.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/2013-03-21055231_zps4a6e1b82.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/1363636429318_zps609dcd15.jpg

Afters:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/2013-04-05184407_zpse248145a.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/2013-04-05184437_zps2deea8a6.jpg

Fender is straight. I still have to replace hood and get bumper painted. My alternator took a crap on me today... so yeah. LOL

D3l7a3ch0
04-05-13, 09:20 PM
almost there, od!

gooooo seabiscuit

btw i deposited that western union today~ thanks!

odthetruth
04-05-13, 09:29 PM
almost there, od!

gooooo seabiscuit

LOL Thanks. You guys have been a huge help.
I followed your guide with a bobby hairpin and a small torq screwdriver to open phones. Took me all of a minute or so.

joshuajohn1981
04-05-13, 10:23 PM
Wow, the before pictures made me cringe a bit but the after pics look pretty damn good. Very nice. Did the insurance company settle (cut you a sizable check)?

odthetruth
04-06-13, 02:53 AM
Wow, the before pictures made me cringe a bit but the after pics look pretty damn good. Very nice. Did the insurance company settle (cut you a sizable check)?

Negative. I need to get police report amended because apparently it isn't clear enough on what I said. States what the other guy said, but doesn't clearly state what I said so they are arguing that or so they say. I can kind of see their point.

Estimate was 8k in damage.

D3l7a3ch0
04-06-13, 03:48 AM
LOL Thanks. You guys have been a huge help.
I followed your guide with a bobby hairpin and a small torq screwdriver to open phones. Took me all of a minute or so.

very nice!

odthetruth
04-07-13, 12:04 AM
Noticed a weird issue yesterday that I forgot to mention...

It seems the highbeams are staying on, regardless of stalk position, and at night, they stay on along with the low beams, albeit on the dimmer filament setting. I never recall this, and I don't believe they should be on.

What is weird is that they should turn off on the stalk but they don't.

I'm guessing fuse? I'll check that later. Today I had my hands full doing this:
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/2013-04-06152615_zpsa5976037.jpg
Alternator change

Along with putting the hood on and packing for my trip to PA tomorrow morning.

Kingoftypos
04-07-13, 12:47 AM
You say that the high beams are on despite the stalk is in the off position. My question is, what about the blue icon in the cluster? Is that on all the time too? Or just when the stalk is in the on position?

If its on all the time, then you should focus on the stalk. If on only with the stalk, then you might have a stuck relay. The relay is located in the engine compartment's fuse box. The relay might bet stuck itself(physically) or it might be stuck by the computer(electronically). Either way, removing it until you have time to actually work on it, will turn the high beams off.

KOT

odthetruth
04-08-13, 12:07 AM
You say that the high beams are on despite the stalk is in the off position. My question is, what about the blue icon in the cluster? Is that on all the time too? Or just when the stalk is in the on position?

If its on all the time, then you should focus on the stalk. If on only with the stalk, then you might have a stuck relay. The relay is located in the engine compartment's fuse box. The relay might bet stuck itself(physically) or it might be stuck by the computer(electronically). Either way, removing it until you have time to actually work on it, will turn the high beams off.

KOT

No light on the cluster. That was actually first issue the car had and I replaced that part with Rippy's help for the part.
Its most likely relay. I'll check it soon and see what I can do.

D3l7a3ch0
04-08-13, 12:47 AM
I like the relay suggestion because of its location near the damage site.

in a perfect world, bada boom makes sense ya know

ghettomike
04-08-13, 08:24 PM
I like the relay suggestion because of its location near the damage site.

in a perfect world, bada boom makes sense ya know

this is the first thing that came to my mind as well... swap the relay with your horn relay, they should be the same and see if that works.

sorry to hear about the damage.

04CTS-Vnomiles
04-09-13, 02:18 AM
Hey man I have a 2004 Black Raven that only had 25k miles on it when I totaled it I am just about through with stripping the car for part out so let me know if you still need anything and I will let you know if I have it.

D3l7a3ch0
04-09-13, 02:27 AM
still have the corsa exhaust??

//disregard.

joshuajohn1981
04-09-13, 06:08 AM
Hey man I have a 2004 Black Raven that only had 25k miles on it when I totaled it I am just about through with stripping the car for part out so let me know if you still need anything and I will let you know if I have it.

Is there any chance you have the driver's side inner wheel well plastic pieces? And maybe the tube for the brake cooler that goes from the bumper to the wheel well? Mine exploded after not being put back together correctly (doh!).

D3l7a3ch0
04-09-13, 07:52 AM
identical issues

in fact i noticed it through your lower grille in your pictures, but didn't say anything

I hit a raccoon within a month (or so) of having my V.

bumper paint has been messed up ever since. I'm missing the bottom halves of my fender liners.

they're available aftermarket, cheap. just haven't felt like replacing them.

lost the under engine tray.

joshuajohn1981
04-09-13, 02:26 PM
identical issues

in fact i noticed it through your lower grille in your pictures, but didn't say anything

I hit a raccoon within a month (or so) of having my V.

bumper paint has been messed up ever since. I'm missing the bottom halves of my fender liners.

they're available aftermarket, cheap. just haven't felt like replacing them.

lost the under engine tray.

Hmm. I may be missing the under engine tray too... Never saw one so I never knew there was one. :-/

D3l7a3ch0
04-09-13, 02:54 PM
i have a feeling the bumper lip flaps around at higher speeds without the tray

joshuajohn1981
04-09-13, 02:58 PM
I've never heard or felt it but I'm guessing it does too. It could be in my head but I think I can feel the brake cooler being gone. I feel some extra drag.

RippyPartsDept
04-09-13, 03:32 PM
The tray helps force air across the radiator (along with the upper and side shields)
and also keeps water from splashing up on the belt and other accessories

it also helps with structural integrity of the bumper ... that thing is a straight up multi-tasker!

Kingoftypos
04-09-13, 03:44 PM
that thing is a straight up multi-tasker!

More so than 99% of drivers.

KOT

joshuajohn1981
04-09-13, 04:19 PM
The tray helps force air across the radiator (along with the upper and side shields)
and also keeps water from splashing up on the belt and other accessories

it also helps with structural integrity of the bumper ... that thing is a straight up multi-tasker!

In that case, I'm on the hunt for that as well. Does anyone have a picture of this (I'm about to google it and try to find a pic)?

D3l7a3ch0
04-09-13, 05:26 PM
I've never heard or felt it but I'm guessing it does too. It could be in my head but I think I can feel the brake cooler being gone. I feel some extra drag.

I think I'm half a pound low in the driver rear tire

odthetruth
04-16-13, 05:45 PM
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/534897_10200195024941970_1013215355_n_zpsa275071b. jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/odthetruthv/media/534897_10200195024941970_1013215355_n_zpsa275071b. jpg.html)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAgnJDJN4VA

RippyPartsDept
04-16-13, 06:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdC0QtR_Kwc

D3l7a3ch0
04-16-13, 08:52 PM
omg I was like, why does he have my V against a cone

odthetruth
04-28-13, 04:49 PM
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/IMG_20130427_194544_zpscfc347d2.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/odthetruthv/media/IMG_20130427_194544_zpscfc347d2.jpg.html)

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/IMG_20130427_194426_zps1392e3d6.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/odthetruthv/media/IMG_20130427_194426_zps1392e3d6.jpg.html)

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/IMG_20130427_194308_zps3c0032c2.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/odthetruthv/media/IMG_20130427_194308_zps3c0032c2.jpg.html)

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/IMG_20130427_194204_zps7fede91b.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/odthetruthv/media/IMG_20130427_194204_zps7fede91b.jpg.html)

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/IMG_20130427_193927_zps57fc8cb6.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/odthetruthv/media/IMG_20130427_193927_zps57fc8cb6.jpg.html)

HAMSTAR
04-28-13, 05:05 PM
I LOVE the look without the front grille emblem. I may try that.

D3l7a3ch0
04-28-13, 07:20 PM
I LOVE the look without the front grille emblem. I may try that.

+1... I always felt the make was obvious enough w/o a grille emblem.