: Will switching just the faceplates activate Theftlock...?

consigliori
03-19-13, 03:03 AM
I happened upon a spare Bose CD/Tape player stereo that is extactly like the one I have in my car expect that it has the wood face.

Is it possible to just switch out the front plate without causing problems with Theftlock?
I see how it's connected to the rest of the stereo with just a ribbon cable-

I'm kinda scared to try it and end up with no radio at all by bricking my stereo or something...
I'm searching the forums for an answer, but I usually get lost in there for a couple hours so figured I'd post this first-

So if you reading this and know anything about it offhand, hit me with it please
Thanks

----------

Looks like it should work just fine :)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/232621-how-unlock-my-new-radio-using.html

txtaz
03-19-13, 07:54 PM
I have no clue what theft lock does.
I took mine out, put it in, pulled again and still the police have not shown up. :-)
Taz

rodnok01
03-21-13, 08:05 PM
If you want to switch front plate go for it, the internals hold the VIN not the faceplate. If you're really worried about it swap the faceplate guts as well.

N*Caddy
03-22-13, 01:46 AM
NO!
The VIN is stored in the chip that controls the HU located on the motherboard. CD module, tape, radio and faceplate are just extensions.

consigliori
03-25-13, 11:23 PM
I assume it's the same story with the climate controls and IPC also? Can a replacement just plug in without causing problems?

N*Caddy
03-31-13, 10:47 PM
Climate control has no business with the VIN, you can replace the WHOLE module with no issue, the IPC IS THE SOURCE for the VIN, but replacing just the front PCB (the one with the gages) you are OK, the VIN is stored in the rear PCB (the motherboard).

consigliori
04-02-13, 08:31 PM
Awesome, thank you