: 1972 Eldorado - No Coolant; No Leak

Lord_Vadus
03-19-13, 12:11 AM
When I brought my 1972 Eldorado out of storage last week, it almost instantly started overheating. I saw no signs of a coolant leak prior to this and have since filled the car with over 2 gallons of coolant and no leak has surfaced. The car drives fine with no issues and isn't overheating; no smoke, no coolant in the oil; etc.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how this happened.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

The engine is, naturally, a 500 Cu. In. with 88k on it.

CaddyGas
03-19-13, 12:44 AM
It overheated when you took it out? But now it doesn't? Just coolant loss? Do a head gasket check. You can have a internal leak and it hasn't shown it self. Make sure all hoses are tight to block and radiator.

Lord_Vadus
03-19-13, 12:58 AM
That is correct. It only overheated because there was NO coolant left. After I filled up the system, there were no problems. No blowback, no smoking, nothing that seemed out of place.

I put a new radiator in last fall, before it sat for winter, and flushed the coolant system then. I keep looking for a sign of a leak, but it confounds me. Since the car had no coolant in the oil or valve covers and it only disappeared while the car wasn't used for several months.

CaddyGas
03-19-13, 01:19 AM
If it doesn't do it while your driving some thing is lose. Puddles? Re check everything, if you had no coolant it' s leaking from a lose fitting or internal.