: 2000 Escalade coolant issue

thehurtmac
03-19-13, 01:24 AM
Call me stingy but i rather not spend $80-100 an hour for a mechanic to tell me my water pump is bad or my intake manifold gaskets are shot. Here's my story:

I bought a 2000 Escalade for $1200, skeptical at first but reluctantly a nice ride, 187k, with a few minor problems, mostly cosmetic. The other day driving home i lost power steering, my battery started to die and engine began overheating. When i pulled in my driveway my temp was about 240-250, popped the hood, belt was gone, idler pulley seized. Went out, bought a new pulley, belt and thermostat (after i replaced the pulley and belt my temp was jumping from 150 to 230), all fixed. Approx. 100 miles later, it starts making a weird "clacking" or sucking sound or something of the sort, like a liquid is bypassing something from the front of the engine. Called my dad who's been a GM mechanic for 20+ years, told me to check a few things, oil color and see if i could see where coolant is coming from. Oil is a golden brown color, the guy u bought it from said he did the oil about 700 miles before i bought it along with replacing the intake manifold gaskets so there may be some coolant still in the oil.

I'm losing myabe 1/4 gallon of coolant every 2 days or so. Really annoying. Water pump is only $60, haven't bought one yet, but i did order a Fel-pro intake manifold gasket kit for $50.

Anyone else run into this problem? Just looking for suggestions and help before i start tearing the engine apart.

Sorry for the crappy sound, hopefully you guys can get an idea of what the sound is.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151556321580692&set=vb.606935691&type=2&theater

----------

Also, i dont know if this helps, but my water temp stays at 150, goes up to maybe 170, then back to 150, this is after i replaced the thermostat.

the cadillac man
03-19-13, 03:19 AM
Call me stingy but i rather not spend $80-100 an hour for a mechanic to tell me my water pump is bad or my intake manifold gaskets are shot. Here's my story:

I bought a 2000 Escalade for $1200, skeptical at first but reluctantly a nice ride, 187k, with a few minor problems, mostly cosmetic. The other day driving home i lost power steering, my battery started to die and engine began overheating. When i pulled in my driveway my temp was about 240-250, popped the hood, belt was gone, idler pulley seized. Went out, bought a new pulley, belt and thermostat (after i replaced the pulley and belt my temp was jumping from 150 to 230), all fixed. Approx. 100 miles later, it starts making a weird "clacking" or sucking sound or something of the sort, like a liquid is bypassing something from the front of the engine. Called my dad who's been a GM mechanic for 20+ years, told me to check a few things, oil color and see if i could see where coolant is coming from. Oil is a golden brown color, the guy u bought it from said he did the oil about 700 miles before i bought it along with replacing the intake manifold gaskets so there may be some coolant still in the oil.

I'm losing myabe 1/4 gallon of coolant every 2 days or so. Really annoying. Water pump is only $60, haven't bought one yet, but i did order a Fel-pro intake manifold gasket kit for $50.

Anyone else run into this problem? Just looking for suggestions and help before i start tearing the engine apart.

Sorry for the crappy sound, hopefully you guys can get an idea of what the sound is.
Video Link: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151556321580692&set=vb.606935691&type=2&theater (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151556321580692&set=vb.606935691&type=2&theater)

----------

Also, i dont know if this helps, but my water temp stays at 150, goes up to maybe 170, then back to 150, this is after i replaced the thermostat.

I would suspect the pump as the temp is around 210 on my 03

thehurtmac
03-21-13, 09:45 PM
Update:

Had a visual inspection and coolant pressure test done, found nothing and my pressure test came back fine. Replaced my radiator cap just to be sure. Also changed my oil today, no coolant in the oil and there's no white smoke coming from the exhaust, but cant figure out where the coolant is going.

the cadillac man
03-21-13, 10:13 PM
Update:

Had a visual inspection and coolant pressure test done, found nothing and my pressure test came back fine. Replaced my radiator cap just to be sure. Also changed my oil today, no coolant in the oil and there's no white smoke coming from the exhaust, but cant figure out where the coolant is going.

Is any coming out of the weep hole on the water pump?
Since there is no leaks in the rest of the system and no white smoke it has to be going somewhere

thehurtmac
03-22-13, 11:09 AM
Is any coming out of the weep hole on the water pump?
Since there is no leaks in the rest of the system and no white smoke it has to be going somewhere

Can't tell, it just snowed here and it's all starting to melt, so everything is wet underneath and everything that drips is brown. They said just keep driving it, keep an eye on my coolant level, could've just been a crappy radiator cap. Wait for a dryer day and maybe i can tell if its leaking then, they suggested my rear heater and a/c.

the cadillac man
03-22-13, 01:02 PM
Can't tell, it just snowed here and it's all starting to melt, so everything is wet underneath and everything that drips is brown. They said just keep driving it, keep an eye on my coolant level, could've just been a crappy radiator cap. Wait for a dryer day and maybe i can tell if its leaking then, they suggested my rear heater and a/c.

That's most likely salt in the snow get to a car wash fast