: 04 CTS-V missing shifter pivot ball holder/housing

04cts v
03-18-13, 09:47 PM
While my car was in the shop for some work, my mechanic noticed the pivot ball housing that holds the shifter in place is missing.

The first picture shows it gone...and the other 2 pictures shows what I think it should look like...right?

I'm not sure how it could have 'fallin off', but where can I get another?

Thanks

D3l7a3ch0
03-18-13, 11:18 PM
holy hell

odla
03-18-13, 11:45 PM
you never noticed how bad the shifting was getting? those other pics look correct for what you need. The only way you may get just that part is at a salvage yard. probably is your best bet. otherwise a whole new shifter.

Overd0s3
03-19-13, 12:22 AM
wow and you weren't grinding gears? Contact PISNUOFF he may have some spare shifter parts for you

04cts v
03-19-13, 05:04 AM
No grinding of the gears and the shifting wasn't bad...relatively speaking. I've driven it on 800 mile trips and went through the gears with no probs.

I have sent a message to PISNUOFF on this forum and to his hotmail account...just waiting for a response.

Without that housing holding the pivot ball, what keeps the shifter from dropping down...or even out of the console?

If I have to go that route, do you know where I can buy the entire shifter assembly?

NOTE: Further details on work that was done at shop...dropped engine and tranny to rebuild engine, replace 1-2 blocker rings in tranny, replaced clutch with Monster Level 2 kit. When the shop put everything back together, that's when they noticed the pivot ball housing missing.

DDS rollin a CTS
03-21-13, 01:26 PM
Um, I'm pretty sure the shop lost the parts then. Theres no way you could have been driving around without that mount and not noticed it.

04cts v
03-21-13, 02:49 PM
That's what I would have thought, but I'm not sure about how the shifter assembly is held in place.

Look at these two pictures...the first one shows the pivot housing around the white nylon bushing...but as you look at the second picture...what holds everything in place?

I understand the white nylon busing snaps in place around the shift lever pivot point/ball, but what keeps the entire shift lever from dropping down? I know the metal pivot housing keeps you from pulling the shifter up, but what keeps it in place and from dropping down?

Any help is appreciated...trying to understand a little more about my V.

Andringa
03-21-13, 03:47 PM
I'm not exactly sure what is going on with your shifter. But if I remember correctly, the metal cap that goes over the white nylon pivot bushing thing, is riveted on at the factory. Since yours has bolts holding it on, it has clearly been pulled and put back in.

When you buy a modified shifter from Pissnuoff, you have to drill out the rivet and use bolts to hold the replacement in place. It is possible that what you are dealing with is a DIY job or a messed up install of another aftermarket shifter.

If I remember correctly, the white nylon pivot bushing is too big to fall down through the opening. And the metal cap thing keeps it from moving up.

PISNUOFF
03-21-13, 07:58 PM
Yes, the shop lost the parts. The metal cup holds everything together from the top inside the console. I send 1/4-20 x 1" bolts and nuts. Use a lock washer or Loctite.

04cts v
03-23-13, 05:21 AM
More to the story...after talking further with the shop manager. He took the car for a 'shake-down' drive and after about 20-25 miles he brought the car back to the shop and noticed how bad the shifter was...they put the car on the lift and inspected the shifter and that's when they noticed the nylon bushing missing around the pivot ball on the shift lever.

The manager says the mechanic who put the transmission back in definitely remembers seeing the nylon bushing there when he put everything back together...but that it must have fallen out on the drive.

I don't want to say the shop is being shady on this, but something is definitely not right.

Since I couldn't find just the nylon bushing to replace, I contacted Luke at Lindsay Cadillac and he hooked me up with a new shift assembly...and I bought the UUC shifter...thought I might as well as upgrade since it was all apart.

What do you think about the nylon bushing falling out and the shop's story of what happened? They are familiar with F-Body cars, but I believe this is their first time working on a V shifter...are they that much different from the Camaros and Firebirds?

D3l7a3ch0
03-23-13, 05:33 AM
no reason for them to steal something like that, so. I would count it as a mistake and be ok as long as they didn't charge you extra labor for the reinstall of the shift linkage

although I do want to relate my story at a tire shop, when I had the set before the current ones mounted... I heard one of the teen/twentysomething employees say,"oh my god cts-veeeeeee..."

yeah, I decided to stick around and keep an eye on the car until they were mounted. and after.

dunno about you, but... I don't think this is one of the cars you drop off. ever.

04cts v
03-23-13, 05:51 AM
Yes, I think you're right...I will chalk it up as a mistake. It just doesn't help the shop's reputation or my comfort level with them when the story changes.

I haven't picked up the car yet, but I will keep an eye out for any extra labor charges.

D3l7a3ch0
03-23-13, 06:02 AM
I had a shop knock out a freeze plug and tell me it was spontaneous during the test drive.

yeahhh I laughed and convinced them to repair it free of charge.

(bonus: the coolant was still gushing out when I arrived in response to the notification phone call. They didn't know I was at the pizza shop on the other side of the same building. 95 Mustang GT. a day later, I stopped on my way past the shop, after eating at the same pizza place. I noticed a concerned looking customer, who was visibly dazed. They had removed his ECU and pointed to a clear burn mark that looked like it came from a soldering iron being touched to the circuit, and he was about to shell out some serious $$ for the repair. Purrfect Auto on Craig, Las Vegas (http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=2060+East+Craig+Road+North+Las+Vegas,+NV+89030+( 702)+399-9020))

PISNUOFF
03-23-13, 10:28 AM
They are completely different than F-body shifter assemblies. There is absolutely no way it could have fallen out. They couldn't have put the assembly on the bottom (outside the console) because it would hit the driveshaft. My feeling is that your shop should be paying for the new shifter assembly.

D3l7a3ch0
03-23-13, 07:08 PM
I think the realistic, likely outcome is pay for an upgrade, have them install it, then move on

and never go back to the shop

honesty and consistency are a premium, when shops can break your car to create more business for themselves. if they didn't jump on the grenade and offer a solution, due to pride or anything(there's no excuse), it's a failure on their part to recognize the importance of honesty and consistency. so aside from the specifics of the parts, I don't like the way they handled the issue.

I'm sorry to say this, but it needs to be said: a 20 to 25-mile test drive? c'mon man around the corner is plenty for two shifts. the **** is wrong with them.

"they said it never happens, it's so weird" should never be the customer's experience. ever. I don't trust anyone who would try to give me that story.

in fact, ...**** it, I don't trust anyone.

Out of personal interest I chose to be trained as a mechanic (diesels/heavy equipment) and then as a medic by the military, and I count it as a huge benefit that I can do my own car work, and seek out my own medical treatment/self-medicate somewhat more efficiently than the average person. (think: basic, general ASE certs and now a registered EMT) ...[with those under my belt i'm ready to go to college]

I'm less liable to get "took." so ANYWAY my advice with this shop is run, dude RUUUNNNN!!!!!!!

...when that shop knocked my freeze plug in/out, I called my whole platoon (all mechanics as well) and we had a talk that way with the shop manager. it was great.

if you're wondering what I had my Mustang in the shop for, it was to install 3.73s which I've never done--and sometimes I would rather just pay someone else for work if the price is worth it.

04cts v
03-28-13, 07:02 AM
Update: the shop installed the new shifter assembly and upgraded UUC shifter (thanks Luke). Was to pick up car yesterday, but when I went to test drive the car the clutch felt very soft/weak...shop manager checked it out and couldn't get it in gear either...now it looks like the clutch master cylinder has gone out. So another order to Lindsay Cadillac...hopefully will be delivered by Friday and will have the car back by Saturday, but not holding my breath.

verywhitedevil
03-28-13, 07:58 AM
hmmmm. sounds like they just need to bleed the system. New master cylinder?? really?

HAMSTAR
03-28-13, 08:56 AM
hmmmm. sounds like they just need to bleed the system. New master cylinder?? really?

For reals. I would avoid this place in the future.

04cts v
03-28-13, 09:37 AM
That's what I thought first and asked about...did they do a thorough job of bleeding everything, especially since it's a new Monster clutch kit with a new clutch slave...the shop assured me they did, and even drove the car for 50-75 miles while breaking in the motor and clutch with no problems. They even moved the car while I was there checking out their engine work and everything seemed fine...until I get in the car and could immediately tell the clutch was soft.

Either the car likes this shop and wants to stay longer or it's just plain bad juju...what say you all?

Andringa
03-28-13, 10:01 AM
No way your master cylinder is bad.

Think of the probabilities here, they install new parts, and magically at exactly the same time a related part goes bad? Really?

They replaced the slave and the clutch and when it doesn't work they automatically assume it's the one part of the system that they didn't touch?

There is some slim possibility that your master cylinder is bad, there is a much larger possibility that they screwed something up. I have read of very few people having master cylinder issues in this car.

04cts v
03-28-13, 01:15 PM
I will know for sure tomorrow or Saturday when they install the new master clutch cylinder...my fingers are crossed.

04cts v
03-30-13, 07:14 AM
Update: After I order the new master clutch cylinder from Lindsay Cadillac on Thursday, 28 March (and pay for the overnight shipping) the new clutch master cylinder is delivered to the shop on Friday at 2:30pm, the shop then tells me it's too late to install on Friday and they will be closed on Saturday due to a car show...now I'm suppose to get the car on Monday, 1 April...hopefully that won't turn out to be an April Fools Joke too.

Does anyone know of another LS shop around the Knoxville, TN area that IS reputable and does good work on V's?

Thanks

HAMSTAR
03-30-13, 10:51 AM
Tennessee must be thick with LS shops.

04cts v
03-30-13, 02:35 PM
Is that a tic comment or do you know of some shops? :hmm:

04cts v
04-03-13, 06:28 AM
Final Update: Shop installed the new Clutch Master on Monday, 1 April, only to find out the clutch still wasn't working. Since the shop installed my new Monster Level 2 clutch kit, they called Monster Clutch to discuss what could be wrong...Steve at Monster Clutch recommended the shop pull the transmission, check everything and determine if maybe the new clutch slave was bad...sure enough, the new clutch slave was not working properly. Monster Clutch overnighted (thanks Steve) a new clutch slave and the shop installed everything on Tuesday, 2 April.

I picked up the car yesterday and everything seems fine...I think I will have to adjust the clutch pedal a bit, as the engage/disengage of the clutch takes place when the clutch pedal is closer to the floor than I would like...I want to adjust it so that I can engage/disengage the clutch with a little less pedal movement.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and help.

D3l7a3ch0
04-03-13, 06:30 AM
Final Update: Shop installed the new Clutch Master on Monday, 1 April, only to find out the clutch still wasn't working. Since the shop installed my new Monster Level 2 clutch kit, they called Monster Clutch to discuss what could be wrong...Steve at Monster Clutch recommended the shop pull the transmission, check everything and determine if maybe the new clutch slave was bad...

was the start of an epic troll story

04cts v
04-16-13, 08:54 PM
No...don't jinx the car

04cts v
12-07-13, 07:22 AM
was the start of an epic troll story

Ok, I was a newbie when I started this post and unfamiliar with the troll reference...now I'm still a newb, but definitely not a troll.

Got the car back from shop in April and it's been running very well. Took it to the dyno (mustang dyno) and put down 375 to the wheels with a custom tune.

Car has been running very well...knock on wood.