: Oil pan gasket

mollynme44
01-06-05, 12:36 PM
I have a 94 Eldorado. It's leaking oil thru the oil pan gasket. Does anyone know how to change that gasket for less than a THOUSAND DOLLARS. I am told the engine and transmission must be moved. Anyway to stop the leak, its very slow if at all. I took a shot in the dark with a bottle of gasket renewal, but, still leaks. Maybe duct tape?...I can't imagion life without the internet and duct tape. Please respond to DELALL@WEBTV.NET....Thanks, someone.

elwesso
01-06-05, 12:50 PM
Moved to northstar section.....

Spyder
01-06-05, 02:42 PM
If its a very slow leak, don't bother fixing it...I'd rather have a little leak than a thousand bucks missing out of my paycheck. :) But otherwise, I'm pretty sure the engine does have to come out.

BeelzeBob
01-06-05, 09:21 PM
Yes, the engine does have to come out to pull the oil pan.

You might just check the oil pan fasteners to make sure that they are all tight for starters.

An oil pan leak that drips on the ground would be a bit unusual. The first thing with an oil leak is to get the car in the air, clean everything up as good as possible and determine exactly where the leak is.

Oil cooler lines and the o-rings that seal the oil filter adapter to the block are the most common reasons for sudden oil leaks and they can be repaired quite easily.

On the lower part of the engine there is the lower crank case joint, the oil pan joint and the oil distribution plate joint that can all possibly leak and drip oil onto the oil pan joint (which is the lowest one so it always gets wet no matter what the leak) making leak determination difficult.

Some mechanics and a Cadillac dealer can add the flourescent dye to the oil and use a black light to quickly determine the source of the leak and show it to you.

Pjs
01-07-05, 05:49 AM
I waited till mine was leaking about 2 qts a week before I fixed it. If you have tools and a place to drop the cradle you can save yourself $$$ if you DIY, otherwise get the KY ready. I took a lot of digital pics when I did mine, let me know if you would like to see whats involved.

blunted
01-07-05, 11:43 PM
I'm also having an oil leak, and its not just a drip here and there but continous dripping to the point where when the car warms up smoke starts comin out under the hood.. and the only thing I can think of is all the oil dripping out is starting to burn. This never ever happened before and just started when I got my oil changed earlier in the week... could they have put the filter or something on wrong??

Spyder
01-08-05, 12:09 AM
almost certainly the filter is not tight, or there is a piece of the old gasket still there or something along those lines. Try tightening the filter, but NOT with a wrench...you may need to take it off and clean the surface between the filter itself and the mounting plate for it, then put it back on.

haymaker
01-08-05, 12:15 AM
I'm also having an oil leak, and its not just a drip here and there but continous dripping to the point where when the car warms up smoke starts comin out under the hood.. and the only thing I can think of is all the oil dripping out is starting to burn. This never ever happened before and just started when I got my oil changed earlier in the week... could they have put the filter or something on wrong??
It is very possible to install an oil filter incorrectly. The filter can be cross-threaded during installation. This can cause an oil leak and also make a new filter nearly impossible to install correctly on the old standpipe. Also every once in awhile the person installing the new oil filter will forget to apply a small amount of engine oil to the new filter gasket (large o-ring) and then at the next oil filter change this filter gasket will remain attached to the oil filter adapter on the engine block after separating from the old oil filter during its removal. A new oil filter is then installed on this old oil filter gasket, now you have two oil filter gaskets stacked one on the other and they almost always leak. If the car were mine I would take the car back to the business that did the latest oil filter change and ask them to inspect their work. BTW ask to be present during the inspection.

haymaker
01-08-05, 12:18 AM
almost certainly the filter is not tight, or there is a piece of the old gasket still there or something along those lines. Try tightening the filter, but NOT with a wrench...you may need to take it off and clean the surface between the filter itself and the mounting plate for it, then put it back on.
Sorry Spyder…We were posting at nearly the same time and close to the same awnser.

blunted
01-08-05, 02:03 AM
Thanks guys for the help.. I thought the reason I went to a dealership was so they could do this stuff right. :banghead:

danbuc
01-08-05, 04:40 AM
I've got a slight leak too, but it's only enough to cause a a film to form on the bottom of the tranny pan. It's sounds worse than it looks, mostly because it pretty much all dirt with a little oit mixed in here or there. I am concerened about the small drops of tranny fluid I have on the pan. I thinkk it's the beginning of the end for the pan gasket. They are only tiny droplets, but they are bright red, and look bad when you see them. Kind of loks like the car is bleeding, which sounds strange, but the color is similar. I would be that concered if it's just a thin film collecting on the bottom of the pan, that kind of leak won't do anything. When you start the car, and a river of oil flows out onto the ground, then I would be worried.:D Good Luck.