: 2002 DTS Northstar questions

Orange Cobra
03-17-13, 02:55 PM
Hey everyone,looking at a caddy for my niece.88,000 mile car.seems clean,except it looks like like the belt for what i think is the water pump belt is shredding.my question is has anyone expierenced this and is it a sign of the pump going bad?What other things are these cars notorious for?car is for my niece and i want to know what to look for...thanks everyone,Mike

Submariner409
03-17-13, 03:20 PM
It's not the pump, 99% chance. The pump drive system uses a large plastic pulley with metal hub pressed onto an extension of the left bank intake cam. That pulley drives the pump pulley via a 3-rib belt and tensioner arm pulley: THAT tensioner pulley is a sealed ball bearing unit and it WILL eventually dry out and seize. (Ask me/us how I/we know).

Simple repair-replacement. The tensioner pulley can be replaced separately from the spring arm. Look in the Cadillac Tech Tips for How-to's and in my albums for pictures and diagrams of the parts. The Community tab, Albums, the two with the red Seville on the covers.

bigtone
03-17-13, 07:04 PM
Hey everyone,looking at a caddy for my niece.88,000 mile car.seems clean,except it looks like like the belt for what i think is the water pump belt is shredding.my question is has anyone expierenced this and is it a sign of the pump going bad?What other things are these cars notorious for?car is for my niece and i want to know what to look for...thanks everyone,Mike

2002 is still a potential headgasket year. Although not a 100% guarantee, I would do a block test first. Also, although the DTS version of the Deville is desirable, any suspension issues such as worn struts or shocks can be much more expensive than a base or DHS edition. The other more common failures are:

Bad intake plenum (I've owned 4 Devilles from 01-05, and all 4 had bad plenums).
mode actuator (2 out of 4)
AC compressor (3 out of 4.
Torque converter lock up solenoid (2 out of 4)

Not to discourage you, I love these cars, but now that they are 10 years old, repairs can add up if you are not a DIYer.[COLOR="Silver"]

----------