: Thinking of buying a Snap-On MT2500, any thoughts?

Super_Too
01-06-05, 11:39 AM
A friend of mine and I have both purchased 97 STS Caddys and we are thinking of going in together and buying a Snap-On Mt2500 scanner for our own use.
Seen several on ebay that look lke the may fit the bill very nicely.
Questions;
What's the learning curve like for this tool?
Is there a better scanner for our Caddys?
Is there someone here that uses the MT2500 that can email me with any details?
As always, thank you for your help!
Mike

Katshot
01-06-05, 12:42 PM
I've got one I'd sell you. It's been used maybe a dozen times. I'd have to check around to see what they are going for but I'm sure we could make a deal.

Super_Too
01-06-05, 12:48 PM
One thing I to ask is this, does the onboard diag system tell you the same as a scanner would?????
If it does, I guess there would be no need for a scanner?
KATSHOT-The pic above i what I am looking for. Email meprivately if you would please!

Katshot
01-06-05, 01:21 PM
This scanner has FAR more abilities than your standard OBD, especially on OBDII cars. The real benefit is that it works on more than just one car. I am by no means an expert on this tool but it is probably the most widely used among professional techs. That said, you need to realize that they aren't cheap. I think they're over $2000 as I recall.

STS 310
01-06-05, 06:14 PM
That is one fine tool to have.

dkozloski
01-06-05, 06:30 PM
The only complaints I have heard is that it can take a long time for them to distribute an update chip for a new model car. Sometimes a year or so. A friend of mine has one and a time or two he has had to borrow my Autotap because his machine wouldn't work for him.

dloch
01-06-05, 06:57 PM
Autotap enhanced version is also very good.

Katshot
01-06-05, 08:38 PM
The only complaints I have heard is that it can take a long time for them to distribute an update chip for a new model car. Sometimes a year or so. A friend of mine has one and a time or two he has had to borrow my Autotap because his machine wouldn't work for him.

There's usually no real rush since anything that new will be going back to the dealer instead of an independent shop.

danbuc
01-06-05, 10:00 PM
Those are nice. You can use them to shut down fuel injectors, turn on/off different relays (A/C..ect), test electronic suspension. All kinds of things. They are pretty easy to use also.

an01sts
01-07-05, 12:50 AM
I worked at a shop for 2 weeks and one day in the early spring. I left

Self Service Auto Repair, B & A Blvd, Glen Burnie, MD

because the owner was a the biggest @$$hole I have ever encountered in all my working years, starting in 1974. (Yeah, @$$hole! Actions will bite you in the butt because of bad publicity. Maybe if you had enough brains to realise kindergarden concepts and realise that you cannot treat everyone--inlucing customers--like crap, you would have a booming business, rather than this struggeling business, barely able to stay afloat. A shop that cannot get a full day's work for its techs? Dat's a no brainer!)

Anyway, a little while before I worked for dickhead, one of the techs there had bought a scanner from Strap-On and returned it because it was a pos. It was already returned to Strap-On before I worked there, so I don't know what mode. Obviously, because I simply packed my iron and walked out on @$$hole, I'm on less than good terms, so it's not in my best interest to stop by and chat with @$$hole's techs.

The guy paid 2 or 3k for the scanner, got reamed on its return--something like 50%--and they have Matco scanners that cost a lot less and perform lots better.

Again, I don't know jack about scanners, but these guys, one of whom took a bone-busting loss on a Strap-On, who know a lot about scanners--and have a lot of Strap-On tools--both agree that other scanners are superior than Strap-On's.

Katshot
01-07-05, 06:53 AM
Thank-you, Mr. Happy!

STS 310
01-07-05, 10:56 AM
:histeric:

mcowden
01-07-05, 04:22 PM
Yeah, @$$hole! Actions will bite you in the butt because of bad publicity. Maybe if you had enough brains to realise kindergarden concepts and realise that you cannot treat everyone--inlucing customers--like crap, you would have a booming business, rather than this struggeling business, barely able to stay afloat. A shop that cannot get a full day's work for its techs? Dat's a no brainer! Obviously, because I simply packed my iron and walked out on @$$hole, I'm on less than good terms, so it's not in my best interest to stop by and chat with @$$hole's techs.

Well, at least he's not bitter about the whole thing... :histeric:

faustd
01-09-05, 02:44 PM
an01sts handled it pretty well I thought...many people just go out and get a gun. dave