: New from the Chicago area

aod92
03-16-13, 08:41 PM
What's up guys. I'm new to the forums, and I have a 1970 Deville convertible. Just had it repainted, and now looking to lower the car. Any of you guys ever cut springs with good results? I don't want to ruin my ride, but want the car low. I would love to bag the car but don't have the cash flow to get that done right now. Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

DouglasJRizzo
03-17-13, 09:16 AM
Welcome!
You've come to the right place! Would love to see a picture of that '70, a very chic looking car!
As far as cutting springs, I have, unfortunately, never really seen it done correctly. Perhaps pick the brains of a suspension or hot rod shop?

talismandave
03-17-13, 10:49 AM
Howdy neighbor! Glad you found your way to our little corner of the web. Sounds like a great car. Can't wait to see some photos.

Roadmaster75
03-17-13, 02:55 PM
Welcome!
Do yourself a favor and simply buy new springs to lower your car.

Call someone like Eaton in Detroit and tell them what you want to do..I'm sure they'll set you up
with a set that lower the car without sacrificing safety and drivability.

CADforce69
03-19-13, 01:26 PM
Welcome to this forum aod92! :welcome: Wed love to see some pics of your 70 convertible :)

When I bought my '69, springs were sagging so they were "naturally" lowered. Its no fun driving the car just 2" under its original height. First section of the exhaust bumps on most humps and bumps in the street. I would wait until I could bag it so height could be controlled... Just my two cents.

FoxRodder
03-19-13, 03:23 PM
If you want more than just a little bit I would also suggest lowering springs. Ive seen them in two places so far, one being Original Parts Group in the cadillac catalog. I have done some searching on cut springs to see what people's results were. I'm pretty sure you can go up to a full coil cut out without ruining the ride on a typical car(for front wheels). Rear springs can sometimes be impossible to do without ruining the ride. I took somewhere around a half coil out of the front of my daily driver mustang with no ill effects at all. I think that was only good for something like 1/4" to 3/8" lower but it was what I needed at the time with the spring package I was installing to get it to sit level instead of higher in the front (Don't know what the heck Ford was thinking).

The other issues associated with the lowering is possible tire wear, alignment, driveline vibration not enough travel left in the struts and shocks before bottoming out. Previous owner of my 68 heated the rear springs for a drop of probably inch or two and the pinion angle on the rearend doesnt look straight.

I have not seen someone do it yet, but did come across a couple people on web claiming that a camaro drop spindle slightly modified could work on the caddies. That would be the way to go