: I'm in the middle of a differential oil swap and need some advice!

WarrenMRogers
03-16-13, 06:03 PM
I was lucky and found some royal purple at AutoZone. I pulled the drain plug and let it drain for 5-7 minutes until it wasn't dripping at all anymore. I put the drain plug back in. I pulled about 3.5-4oz of the limited slip additive into my suction gun then filled it the rest of the way. Now I'm about 1 1/5th quart of fluid back in and it's already overflowing. Should I drain it all and start over or am I okay? I was planning on doing a 10 minute drive to let the air bubbles work out and let it settle then top it off, but I'm concerned that I didn't get enough fluid out before I started.

FYI I read the instructional suggesting I should do 15-20 minutes of highway speeds before I did the swap and I well exceeded that :devil: so I feel I prepared adequately. I actually drove around for about 45 minutes prior because I had a work errand I had to run while I was doing that. Please give me some advice, I don't want to blow my diff right now. Thanks!

darkman
03-16-13, 06:12 PM
You are okay. It holds just a little over a quart. Put it back together and drive it. If the noise does not go away in a day or so you can drain out a shot glass worth of fluid and add more additive. (I never have any air in the differential and I don't think it is a problem unless you are running a cooler.)

WarrenMRogers
03-16-13, 06:24 PM
Are you sure? The first write-up I read said to buy 3 quarts then most people said to just buy two and that would be too much but they recommended 1 3/4 quarts. I know I added 3.5-4oz of additive but I still feel short OK you're darkman I'll go for a drive.

darkman
03-16-13, 06:33 PM
I am sure it holds no where near 2 quarts because I always most of a quart left over (out the second quart). You just fill it to it runs out. If you think put in too fast and are getting splash back you can let rest (and drip a minute) and then attempt to add more slowly. If it takes more fine, but if it just drips out you are done.

Supplement: The official specification is 1.3 quarts which includes the additive.

WarrenMRogers
03-16-13, 07:37 PM
Thanks! I let it set while I posted then went and tried to top it off more and it immediately overflowed. I'm out getting fitted for my friends wedding and checked for leakage and there's none. Is it worthwhile to top it off when I get home?

darkman
03-16-13, 07:45 PM
You can but if it were mine I would leave it alone for now. Check it again in a week or two.

WarrenMRogers
03-16-13, 09:17 PM
Ah it's my DD so I don't have that luxury. I'll certainly take it easy this week.

darkman
03-16-13, 09:30 PM
Ah it's my DD so I don't have that luxury. I'll certainly take it easy this week.

Clarification - by "leave it alone", I mean quit fooling with it and just drive it.

WarrenMRogers
03-16-13, 10:12 PM
Ahh ok. I can certainly do that. Ill report my findings. Thank you for your wisdom.

rand49er
03-17-13, 10:33 AM
Clarification - by "leave it alone", I mean quit fooling with it and just drive it.:histeric:

The two times I've done my diff fluid, I put in 44 fl oz the first time and 42 fl oz the second time. Listen to darkman ... you're fine.

JDB
03-17-13, 02:09 PM
I put in 1 qt of Redline 75w90 (has additive already in it) and then about half or so of another and it peed out some. I think you're fine. No way is it near 2qts. 3 is just right out wrong.

WarrenMRogers
03-18-13, 02:33 PM
Well I'm very happy with the results, my groaning rear is a thing of the past! Thanks for the help.

thebigjimsho
03-26-13, 10:46 AM
3 is perfect...for 2 changes...