: What model year to buy

Basco
03-15-13, 11:01 AM
Hello I'm looking for some advise...I going to buy a DTS i'm just not sure what model year I should get. How much difference is there between the 2006 - 2009 models
After reading on the site for about 5 hours here's what I found out so far
2006 - issues with headlight balast, seat heating and cooling
2009 - has bluetooth option

Any other changes between the 06-09 models ?

Thanks in advance

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-15-13, 02:52 PM
Basco, it's wonderful that you're considering a DTS! Have you already tried this resource to compare model year specifications? http://archives.media.gm.com/us/gm/en/news/events/pig_index.html

If you have any specific questions while you're car shopping, please let me know! I'm reachable via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and happy to investigate on your behalf.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

grullon10
03-15-13, 05:30 PM
The electrical sytems are different the engine on the 06 they recomend regular 5 w 30 oil in the 09 they want you to use. Mobil 1 I do not why they both have timming chain issues but the biggest difference is the electrical system.

creeker
03-15-13, 05:51 PM
I thought in 2004 1/2 and on models, the engines were made with the longer and coarser thread head bolts, (time serts),that would be a huge plus.

MoistCabbage
03-15-13, 05:58 PM
The switch to LONGER head bolts was made in '00, along with changes to the block casting process.

COARSE THREADS, came in LATE '04.

TIMESERTS, are a threaded insert. A repair method, not something installed in a new engine.

Superjim
03-16-13, 01:52 AM
The electrical sytems are different the engine on the 06 they recomend regular 5 w 30 oil in the 09 they want you to use. Mobil 1 I do not why they both have timming chain issues but the biggest difference is the electrical system.

How are the electrical systems different ???
Please explain...

Vitaqueen
03-16-13, 07:11 AM
Aren't there small cosmetic differences that Cadillac lovers wouldn't notice such as the antenna and the gm badge?

StuJac
03-16-13, 08:25 AM
This is just my opinion but the 08 is the one to get. The 08 is the last year for at least 2 options; rear electric sunshade and rain sense wipers (not exactly sure about the wipers but they are gone shortly after). I have the LuxIII which has at least 10 options no other Caddy I've owned had. I've owned 96, 98, 03 and my current 08.

hazcaddy
03-16-13, 10:47 AM
My 2010 DTS has rain sense wipers.

I agree with the electrical comments: my various '03 DHS's problems were 90%-or-better related to the electrical system. So far in 2 years with the 2010: nada. (Touch wood :worship: )

MoistCabbage
03-16-13, 11:11 AM
Your '03 was a Deville, different car. They're comparing DTS to DTS.

grullon10
03-16-13, 11:11 AM
One the battery are different the fuse box are different. Every one that I know that has a 08 and newer had issues with the fuel pump relay burn out. It happen because of fuse box under the rear seat go bad. The fuse box at the front of the car are notthe same they change from year to year the 06 07 are not the same to 08 and newer. The best example is the battery in 07 they were using gm side connector in 08 they stared using the one on the top.

StuJac
03-16-13, 12:09 PM
Also, didn't they eliminate the windshield washer heater after 08? I know it was recalled in 08 but you could, and many did, order the after market replacement which fit into the existing harnesses. I've gone through 2 winters now with it and love it.

hazcaddy
03-16-13, 01:33 PM
Your '03 was a Deville, different car. They're comparing DTS to DTS.

At that time, they didn't have DTS Lux I, II, III and Peformance. We had the base (Deville), Luxury model (DHS), and the Performance model (DTS). The electrics were all the same; the cars were basically the same except the DTS had, as the Brits say, been "breathed on".

MoistCabbage
03-16-13, 01:38 PM
Right. But you're posting about electrical problems in your DEVILLE. The DTS is a totally different model, it doesn't stand for Deville Touring Sedan like it did in '03.

The "electrical comments" are concerning year to year differences between DTSs, not between Devilles and DTSs.

Basco
03-16-13, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all the info, I think I may narrow my search down to a 08 DTS.... besides I don;t want to mess around with the headlight issue on the 06
What year and option group was the rear sun shade, although I'll probably never use that option as I plan to tint the windows anyway but it would be cool to have and my kids would think that's the coolest thing ever

StuJac
03-16-13, 04:25 PM
The LuxIII has the rear sunshade but you are right, if you tint you probably don't need it. Try to get the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control)-this is the single best feature on my car, imho. I also love the NavDVD. The fact that it plays Dvd-Audio is a great plus as I have a bunch of those. This is so far and away the best Caddy and best car I've ever owned. It's sad to say I'll never be able to get the same options on a newer version.

Basco
03-16-13, 06:25 PM
What is adaptive cruise control? What years was this available on?

StuJac
03-16-13, 06:49 PM
It's radar that tells the distance between your car and the car or object in front of you. You tell the car what speed to cruise at and it will speed up or slow own to maintain that speed and distance from the car in front of you. It will bring the car to a complete stop if necessary. It's amazing, especially for long trips on super highways where you pretty much know you can float in the fast lane. I use it all the time, even at speeds below 30. It is a different front logo as the rear of the logo is the radar unit.

Basco
03-16-13, 07:35 PM
That sounds awesome... What type of logo is on the front? What does it look like?

StuJac
03-16-13, 08:05 PM
Here's a horrible photo.

ral1960
03-16-13, 09:22 PM
The grille is gray plastic instead of chrome (which would interfere with the radar) or body color.

GREEN DTS
03-16-13, 09:23 PM
I have a 2006 DTS Lux III with 62000 miles. I had to replace the tires. Other than tires, a wrench hasn't been raised in anger.

ral1960
03-16-13, 09:31 PM
The DTS is a totally different model, it doesn't stand for Deville Touring Sedan like it did in '03.
Yeah, except for the engines, transmissions, and most of the unibody, they're totally different cars. At least the power window mechanisms are new and improved.

One thing in the XTS press release in June that made me snicker was the touted "reduced sensitivity to tire/wheel imbalance."

I drove a 2010 DTS Platinum today. If I'd driven one like it in January instead of a base DTS, I wouldn't have bought an STS in February, because it really put it in the shade. The seat cushion did hit me in the thigh after 10 minutes or so, but that can be fixed. If it weren't black inside, I'd probably trade and blow my budget.

mikectm2
03-24-13, 02:52 AM
ral1960 , i (test) drove a 2010 DTS today. At the glendora, california chevrolet dealer. And Liked It. i found this Cadillac Forum, to do my homework, and decide if i'm gonna get a DTS.

1 Is a DTS 'superior' (luxury wise ) to a STS ?

2 how do the STS and DTS's driver seats compare ? Which is softer/more substantial ?

I think i gotta get to CArmax and drive them both now

Vitaqueen
03-24-13, 04:56 AM
A couple of things I really love are the cooled and massaging seats. That's neat!

ral1960
03-24-13, 10:22 PM
ral1960 , i (test) drove a 2010 DTS today. At the glendora, california chevrolet dealer. And Liked It. i found this Cadillac Forum, to do my homework, and decide if i'm gonna get a DTS.
1 Is a DTS 'superior' (luxury wise ) to a STS ?
2 how do the STS and DTS's driver seats compare ? Which is softer/more substantial ?
I think i gotta get to CArmax and drive them both now
The STS has a much stiffer ride, as I discovered too late, and the seats are firmer but fit me better (but I am oddly shaped). If you like driving fast on twisty roads, get the STS for its RWD or a DTS Performance (1SE option package) model (combined with the Platinum edition in 2010-12), which has Magnetic Ride Control shocks and lower gearing. The DTS has a much larger turning radius (despite a shorter wheelbase) and is almost a foot longer, so be sure it fits your driveway/garage.

The STS is noticably narrower inside with significantly less rear and trunk room. I had to find one without a sunroof to fit without scraping the ceiling (couldn't find a late-model RWD V8 without one). I'm annoyed that the trunklid doesn't pop up by itself like my DeVille's did and DTS's do.

One thing I discovered: if a DTS has wood on the steering wheel, then it's all real wood veneer encased in plastic. If not, it's all plastic. All wood in an STS is real, but some have none.

I heartily recommend the cooled seats. I would not buy leather seats without them. In the DTS, you can heat the seatback without cooking your butt, which is nice.

Here's the link to the 2011 online ordering guide. Some of the options were dropped or repackaged by then, but it's largely the same in earlier years (except for the V8 STS, which was dropped). I imagine this data will disappear when the 2014 model year info is posted, so get 'em while they're hot.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/brandsel.jsp?year=2011&regionID=1

turnne
03-26-13, 06:24 PM
The STS has a much stiffer ride, as I discovered too late, and the seats are firmer but fit me better (but I am oddly shaped). If you like driving fast on twisty roads, get the STS for its RWD or a DTS Performance (1SE option package) model (combined with the Platinum edition in 2010-12), which has Magnetic Ride Control shocks and lower gearing. The DTS has a much larger turning radius (despite a shorter wheelbase) and is almost a foot longer, so be sure it fits your driveway/garage.

The STS is noticably narrower inside with significantly less rear and trunk room. I had to find one without a sunroof to fit without scraping the ceiling (couldn't find a late-model RWD V8 without one). I'm annoyed that the trunklid doesn't pop up by itself like my DeVille's did and DTS's do.

One thing I discovered: if a DTS has wood on the steering wheel, then it's all real wood veneer encased in plastic. If not, it's all plastic. All wood in an STS is real, but some have none.

I heartily recommend the cooled seats. I would not buy leather seats without them. In the DTS, you can heat the seatback without cooking your butt, which is nice.

Here's the link to the 2011 online ordering guide. Some of the options were dropped or repackaged by then, but it's largely the same in earlier years (except for the V8 STS, which was dropped). I imagine this data will disappear when the 2014 model year info is posted, so get 'em while they're hot.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/brandsel.jsp?year=2011®ionID=1

I have an 05 STS V8 AWD...and I remember getting a DTS loaner once at the dealer a few years ago

they are totally different driving cars and I agree with you...if you like spirited driving then the STS is the more the car for you

did they ever put a more advanced transmission in the DTS?

That DTS loaner I had still had the old 4 speed..it reminded me of cars from the 90's

I remember thinking my STS was behind the times with a 5 speed trans...when much of the competition had 6-7 speed trans for ability to pull off the line quickly as well as adequate higher gears for cruising

Warren

ral1960
03-27-13, 12:54 AM
The DTS kept the 4 speed, but the Performance model has a significantly lower (higher numerical) final drive ratio and an engine that makes more power at higher revs, so the feel is very different from regular DTSs.

My STS has the 6 speed, and I find it increasingly annoying. It's always shifting until it gets in too high a gear (the sport mode is slightly better) and you're trying to accelerate or even maintain speed at 1200 rpms. When it's cold, the early shifts are so slow, the car loses momentum and you lurch forward in the seat. The 2 older 5 spd STSs I drove were much smoother. I really should have the dealer check mine out--it's still under warranty.

I wasn't aware of what gear I was in with my DeVille and never cared. It was quite lazy--until you stepped on it.

creeker
03-27-13, 01:20 AM
I've been doing some research on the 06-08 DTS, I like the center consule with gear selector feature, from what I have found it looks like it is standard,with
the bench seat being an option, am I right?.

Superjim
03-27-13, 11:35 AM
I've been doing some research on the 06-08 DTS, I like the center consule with gear selector feature, from what I have found it looks like it is standard,with the bench seat being an option, am I right?.

Yes...

Tedk
03-28-13, 12:00 PM
I have 2008 performance DTS and am starting to have minor annoying electrical issues. Lane departure camera went, memory seat stopped working (power seat still works just not with the memory). Drivers express window wont express up now only down. Its been a great car till the last year. It has 45000 miles so these problems seem premature

StuJac
03-28-13, 12:22 PM
Is it under a warranty? I have an 08 LuxIII with 52k and I have had no electrical issues. I have a Major Guard warranty that is till good through April '14.

MoistCabbage
03-28-13, 12:24 PM
I have 2008 performance DTS and am starting to have minor annoying electrical issues. Lane departure camera went, memory seat stopped working (power seat still works just not with the memory). Drivers express window wont express up now only down. Its been a great car till the last year. It has 45000 miles so these problems seem prematurePlease don't hijack threads and/or double post. There's an answer in your thread.

Tedk
03-28-13, 01:06 PM
Wow moistcabbage, Basco was looking for info for what year to buy. I gave him my history for a 2008. Then i started a thread with my issue. Relax

MoistCabbage
03-28-13, 02:11 PM
Sorry, didn't realize. It didn't look like it was meant to be informational, mostly because of the last sentence. I wasn't the only one that thought it was an inquiry.

Tedk
03-28-13, 05:39 PM
No problem moist cabbage. Hey Basco the one thing I like starting on the 2009 model is the shark fin antenna

turnne
03-29-13, 09:01 AM
The DTS kept the 4 speed, but the Performance model has a significantly lower (higher numerical) final drive ratio and an engine that makes more power at higher revs, so the feel is very different from regular DTSs.

My STS has the 6 speed, and I find it increasingly annoying. It's always shifting until it gets in too high a gear (the sport mode is slightly better) and you're trying to accelerate or even maintain speed at 1200 rpms. When it's cold, the early shifts are so slow, the car loses momentum and you lurch forward in the seat. The 2 older 5 spd STSs I drove were much smoother. I really should have the dealer check mine out--it's still under warranty.

I wasn't aware of what gear I was in with my DeVille and never cared. It was quite lazy--until you stepped on it.

actually what I missed in the DTS loaner was low end umph...to me it felt like it needed a lower first

Granted...for the buyer of the typical car they probably dont drive like I do

For a while a few years ago I had a 2002 STS and a 2000 BMW 740...very different driving dynamics aside, the BMW always felt like it had a an appropriate gear. The STS always felt like it needed a lower first..more closely spaced ratios and a higher upper gear for highway cruising

I agree with you...manufacturers implement transmissions at different quality levels of feel

I have since driven another luxury branded car with a 7 speed and it feels much better than the 5 speed in my 05 STS...again a gear for every occasion it seems

my STS can feel "wonky" gear shift wise and hunts occasionally when cold or hit with a hill suddenly

on another note I have an AWD V8 that had the famous driveline "chuggle" and had a portion of the drivetrain replaced under warranty

Warren