: Windshield replacement.....cost/reputable places in long island?

TheKid
03-15-13, 09:53 AM
Hey guys. I need my windshield replaced and im holding on to my nuts here while I get some feedback on a price. Any reputable places here in long island and what kind of price should I expect? What brand?

----------

Oops sorry for double thread, PLEASE DELETE

stealthv29
03-15-13, 02:38 PM
I had mine done about a year ago at safelite. Total was $320 and they did a good job. Your insurance should cover it if you have a low enough deductible. I think it's generally $500+ to have it done at the dealer.

TheKid
03-15-13, 07:01 PM
Im assuming you had a safelite windshield installed and not a GM windshield? And with that price, was it the windshield with the satellite and xm radio antennas and defroster built in, or just a regular windshield without all that? Thanks

stealthv29
03-16-13, 06:11 PM
safelite windshield... just the windshield

vcaddy06
03-16-13, 07:52 PM
In Florida, you can call your insurance company for a claim of a "crack" or "imperfection" in the windshield, and insurance will have it replaced at no cost to you. Insurance loop hole they don't want you to know about...hope that helps.

Faber
03-17-13, 03:25 PM
In Florida, you can call your insurance company for a claim of a "crack" or "imperfection" in the windshield, and insurance will have it replaced at no cost to you. Insurance loop hole they don't want you to know about...hope that helps.

Policy is designed that way based on legislative requirement, not a mistake or oversight - thus I'd call it a coverage benefit and not a loophole. And unfortunately while it's no out of pocket cost for the actual windshield replacement, your overall insurance cost is higher on an annual basis due to this. Still a nice benefit - believe Kentucky is the same way as well.

D3l7a3ch0
03-18-13, 11:28 PM
I seem to have a $250 deductible for glass through USAA, so if I have a choice I'd like GM. I received an airborne rock on the freeway. it is not a GM windshield. I think if it had been, the windshield would have resisted the force of the rock without cracking.

Faber
03-21-13, 12:38 PM
Is there a difference between Factory glass & "Safelite" glass?

D3l7a3ch0
03-22-13, 12:51 AM
yes, and better quality glass is more resistant to cracking.

"glass is not glass is not glass"