: Used Maggie installation?

fre1102
03-14-13, 04:29 PM
So say I buy a used 112 kit--are the parts that might not be included available, or really even needed? For example, Magnusson wants you to pin your harmonic balancer to the crankshaft. I assume in a used kit, the pins are in the previous owner's balancer. Can I buy the guides and pins from Magnusson, or do I really even need them?

Likewise, they have you re-program the ECM. I assume I won't get the scanner they send in a new kit. I know I can have that done elsewhere, but it's the sort of thing I'd want to make sure about before buying the used kit.

So basically, if you bought a used Maggie kit, what did you do for parts that didn't come with the kit the second time around?

Thanks.

heavymetals
03-14-13, 05:12 PM
You should get a tune after install anyway.

Pinning the crank is no big deal, just a little time with a good drill.

Magnusson usually has the parts you need.

branland
03-14-13, 06:11 PM
I got all my parts from Magnusson.
Except the tensioner pulley, which they were nice enough to give me the manufacturer part number from their supplier. Saved me from buying the whole assembly.
I also bought new hoses and serpentine belt from Napa.
Extension wires and connectors from Radio Shack

Someone on the forum sent me a list of all the parts that came with the kit.

I bought some small circular sells.
Several grade 12 bolts that were missing. (never use bolts from home depot if you are going to thread them into the block)
New bypass valve.
I did not use the Magnavolt

My kit was fairly complete. It came with almost everything needed.

I had to have mine towed to the tuner. It would not start with my tune. Mine also came with a tuner but I didn't use it. I sold it to someone and they had a very bad experience. I still feel bad about that.

izcain
03-14-13, 06:25 PM
You can obtain the pins from any hardware store. Hardened solid steel pins are all they are. You will get them if you order a pinning kit anyways from anywhere. You do need them though!

You can contact Magnusson and they will sell you just about any component you want including a handheld tune to flash in. Wish that said I would not want the tune that magnusson supplies anyways.

I already had EFI live to work on the tune with but you could find someone in your area that has it and is a reputable tuner. or Hp tuners ect. Make sure you look out for hackjob tuning. Do some research on the tuner and see how many other people are around with their tuning and if they are happy. My V had a maggie strapped on it when I bought it and I pulled the tune as soon as it was in my driveway (drove home nice and easy) and low and behold the tune was not at all decent! Ended up changing the tune all up and it is much safer now.

OneFast V
03-14-13, 06:51 PM
I have the parts list if you want it.

fre1102
03-14-13, 06:54 PM
Any recommendations for who to send off the ECM for a tune? I'll be out of town for a while, so this'd be the time to do it.

----------

I have the parts list if you want it.

Oh yes, please. Thanks.

izcain
03-14-13, 07:31 PM
A mail order tune would get you up and running but I would say you should take it to someone to get the tune dialed in perfect.

fre1102
03-14-13, 07:43 PM
I don't think there are any local tuners, and I have no idea where to go even in the southeast.

OneFast V
03-14-13, 08:49 PM
Any recommendations for who to send off the ECM for a tune? I'll be out of town for a while, so this'd be the time to do it.

----------

Oh yes, please. Thanks.

Pm me your email address.

NC-V
03-14-13, 09:50 PM

----------

Oh yes, please. Thanks.

Where are you located in the southeast?

NCOGNITO
03-15-13, 02:01 PM
Where are you located in the southeast?

NC-V is right on, your location would definitely help, there are guys on here from FL, SC, NC, GA and elsewhere that can help you find a good tuner.

fre1102
03-15-13, 02:25 PM
NC-V is right on, your location would definitely help, there are guys on here from FL, SC, NC, GA and elsewhere that can help you find a good tuner.

Tallahassee.

rand49er
03-15-13, 03:10 PM
Say, fre1102, what mods do you have and what injectors do you have?

fre1102
03-15-13, 04:07 PM
Say, fre1102, what mods do you have and what injectors do you have?

Right now it's stock. I was asking in contemplation of buying a Maggie. That'll require a tune.

rand49er
03-15-13, 07:26 PM
Right now it's stock. I was asking in contemplation of buying a Maggie. That'll require a tune.Ah-h-h-h. Got it.

If you can (maybe you already have) get a ride with someone who's got one, that'll seal the deal. Street driving will never be the same.

crete68s
03-17-13, 11:04 PM
Ryan at SS Performance Group can't hook u up?