: GPS Update

Amcberetta
03-14-13, 12:30 PM
I live in the burbs of D.C. and need to have my GPS updated, half the time it shows me driving thru the woods,and on roads that don't exist. Does anyone know how much the dealer charges to update?

pkthegr8t
03-14-13, 01:35 PM
I believe it's around $100, you can look on ebay they are constantly for sale on there

Amcberetta
03-14-13, 03:09 PM
I will check it out thanks for the info.

bmclachlan
03-17-13, 05:37 PM
I assume that the days of the GPS DVD are numbered as I understood from my dealer that the 2013 Premium SRX can only have its GPS updated at the dealer through a USB port in the service module.

Bill

algiorda
03-18-13, 06:48 AM
My dealer's "story" is that your maps are updated from OnStar which I don't believe for a moment. This is the bull story my Service manager gives me and won't update my maps with the DVD. I think he's talking about the Turn-by-turn directions download from OnStar. I'm considering just purchasing the update DVD myself and doing it.

Anyone want to sell their old 2013 Map Update DVD?

bmclachlan
03-18-13, 11:18 AM
I believe that OnStar is being used by GM as a data network so it is not inconceivable that his story is fabricated. On my 2013 SRX, there is no DVD for the GPS. The data resides on a hard drive. On my 2009 XLR, yes, there is a DVD slot for the GPS DVD. There is also a DVD player that will hold six audio DVDs, separate from the GPS DVD reader.

stevec5375
03-18-13, 11:28 AM
The Nav data resides on the hard drive but to update it you need a GM Nav DVD which you purchase from a web site for $200.

RippyPartsDept
03-18-13, 12:10 PM
http://gmnavdisc.com

steve is correct

the disc is tied to your VIN via a pin code so you can't use someone else's disc

bmclachlan
03-18-13, 12:13 PM
Okay, thanks. When we bought the 2013 SRX premium, we were informed that the service department would have to update GPS through the USB port. But, it is possible to register on the NAVTEQ (supplier of map data) website supplied by Cadillac to automatically notify you when an update is available. Interestingly, the car did not come with a GPS DVD. When I bought my 2009 XLR, I was given the GPS DVD which resides in the GPS DVD slot.

RippyPartsDept
03-18-13, 12:44 PM
Does your 2013 SRX have CUE?

bmclachlan
03-18-13, 12:49 PM
Yes, it does.

RippyPartsDept
03-18-13, 01:17 PM
yeah cue doesn't have any map updates available yet
i don't think they have settled (or at least made it public if they have) on the exact way that the maps will be updated

i think it will still be via a DVD... you'll put it in the glovebox slot and it will copy the maps over the old maps
they could do a usb stick or something though