: Interior gas smell

Duke004
03-14-13, 12:25 AM
Hello, I just bought my 09 DTS a month ago. What a sweet ride. One issue however, there is a gas fumes smell inside the car when the engine is running. It's not unbearable but it is noticeable. Any ideas why or suggestions on how to stop it? Thanks.

MoistCabbage
03-14-13, 02:30 AM
Is it a heavy exhaust smell, or does it actually smell like raw fuel?

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-14-13, 10:11 AM
Duke004, please let me know if you would like any assistance working with your dealer towards a resolution. Customer Service is always happy to step in and schedule an appointment or contact them to follow up on your behalf. I'm available via email at Kaite_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Duke004
03-14-13, 12:57 PM
Moist, it is definitely exhaust fumes.

----------

Katie, thanks for the response. Customer service is my next step.

Superjim
03-14-13, 02:23 PM
If it is exhaust fumes... there is a leak in the pipe SOMEWHERE....

hazcaddy
03-14-13, 04:10 PM
Speaking as a former firefighter / hazmat technician who has been involved with several Carbon Monoxide fatalities over the decades, this is not something you schedule an appointment for some time next week. Do it NOW, bro!

jazoo
03-14-13, 07:01 PM
Hello, I just bought my 09 DTS a month ago. What a sweet ride. One issue however, there is a gas fumes smell inside the car when the engine is running. It's not unbearable but it is noticeable. Any ideas why or suggestions on how to stop it? Thanks.

As mentioned above by MoistCabbage, do you smell gas (smells like when you are around a gas station) and not gases from the hot exhaust? The smell could be due to a leak from the fuel injection line or maybe from the evaporative-emissions system. Check your exhaust system for any leaks as the gases can enter the passenger’s cabin. Also, check if you smell gas in the engine compartment with engine running. You said, “it is not unbearable but it is noticeable” but my immediate thought is that it is very dangerous. I would recommend taking your Caddy to a local mechanic and get it checked out and/or repaired ASAP.

Duke004
03-14-13, 07:16 PM
I appreciate all your responses. To the mechanic I go.

Stepside
03-18-13, 09:25 PM
If you cannot find any fuel leaks, then try to pull your cabin air filter and give it a sniff.

Since you just bought this, it is possible that a tech accidentally got a few drops
of fuel or some other type of petroleum distillate type of cleaner on the cabin filter.

Hey, a least he didn't get limburger cheese on it :duck:

Duke004
10-03-13, 05:14 PM
Ok, since I post this in the spring there was no hurry to get it checked. We had a few cool nights recently and I used the heat and the exhaust smell was still there. I even noticed it when the a/c was on and I was stopped at a light and it was humid. So I had it checked today......nothing found, at a reputable dealer. A check of the exhaust system showed everything was fine. I'm at a loss now.

Atavar
10-03-13, 07:42 PM
I had the same issue in my 2008 DTS a couple weeks ago. It turned out that a jar of KimChi in my groceries had leaked a few drops. Luckily the rubber floor mat contained it.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-03-13, 09:03 PM
Ok, since I post this in the spring there was no hurry to get it checked. We had a few cool nights recently and I used the heat and the exhaust smell was still there. I even noticed it when the a/c was on and I was stopped at a light and it was humid. So I had it checked today......nothing found, at a reputable dealer. A check of the exhaust system showed everything was fine. I'm at a loss now.
Hello Duke004,

I apologize that you are still experiencing the exhaust smell in your DTS. Did the dealership not find anything wrong? Or were they not able to duplicate the concern? If you would like to further discuss this concern, please feel free to private message me or send me an email at socialmedia@gm.com. When you send your email, please be sure to include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Duke004
11-02-13, 07:01 PM
Well, took it to the dealer and he checked the exhaust system and said no leaks. I said it has a gas smell! $75 and no answer. Now what?

Stepside
11-06-13, 01:24 PM
Did you remove and inspect the Cabin Filter?