: Has anyone bought an aftermarket warranty?

WarrenMRogers
03-13-13, 09:45 AM
I'm thinking about looking into one that would cover my diff. Any thoughts? I am a major huge skeptic toward these sorts of things, so please don't flame at me. I also realize the benefit if approached with caution (I can't tell you how many times mfr warranties have saved me with cell phones and computers...)

I do not trust any reviews I read online so I'm seeking a reliable source and here we are!

Thanks!

odla
03-13-13, 02:29 PM
I bought one with each car i got. One was gmpp the other some i cant remember the name right now. Both paid for themselves. If i could i would buy the gmpp one. It cover everything i took the car in for. Never took it in for the diff though.

WarrenMRogers
03-13-13, 02:59 PM
How much did they cost for the '04 CTS-V?

alradco
03-13-13, 05:09 PM
I stopped buying those a long time ago since once you start to modify the car they no longer cover the parts that break.

WakikiVee
03-13-13, 10:35 PM
I bought a 4 year extended for about 4 grand and NOTHING has gone wrong with the V...I'm actually hoping something major breaks, so I can make use of it...

253ctsv
03-13-13, 10:57 PM
Kinda unrelated but I bought a 2005 cobalt with 16k miles. It was a rental in Alaska n I paid 2500 for the extended warranty. I tried to break that car. Last year I sold it with 142k miles and nothing wrong with it. All I can think of is what a waste of 2500 that was and how ill never do it again.

odla
03-14-13, 12:21 AM
Cost depended on miles and length of term. also some kind of class rating system they had. i never paid more than like 1200 for each.

vcaddy06
03-16-13, 10:47 PM
Ok, I have a some really good feedback about this. It's long so bare with me..

Purchased my 06 v in 2009 with 31k on it from an autobroker in lauderdale. A few months go by and I decide to purchase a powertrain warranty from what seemed to be a reputable company based out of new jersey if I recall. Paid $2000 to the company. They stated the warranty takes effect immediately in the contract. All is fine for the first month or so. Month and a half into the warranty, I'm coming off the interstate to go home and downshifted and rev matched to 5th gear from 6th. Was blocked from 5th. Next thing I notice, the "R" is showing on the dash. So a slow down much more and go into 4th and so on and so forth. I get home, cannot put into reverse - I'm locked out. Take it to dealer, tranny needed to be pulled to replace reverse gear or the synchro, can't remember which. Warranty company sent an adjuster to look and made the report of "pre-existing problem"! I do recall the service manager AND mechanic both stated it was not "pre-existing damage" and that the dealer was in my corner. In the end, the warranty company would not pay out and the bill from dealer was totaling around $4800. Had to pay bill to get my car back, spoke to my attorney which he agreed to send a threatening letter to sue, warranty company refunded the contract to me in full.

In my opinion, dig deep about the warranty company you want to cover you. Hope this situation helps. Best of luck!