: Thunder Gray Discontinued

AtlantaGuy00
03-13-13, 01:32 AM
I just accidentally found out that the premium color, Thunder Gray has been discontinued due to problems importing the pigment. I am happy to say I bought a Thunder Gray ATS and I love the color, but what will happen if the car needs paint repair? Any thoughts? I'm anal enough as it is and now will be even more so protecting it from chips and scratches. I should have the whole car wrapped in plastic!

Bertha D Blues
03-13-13, 09:44 AM
I should have the whole car wrapped in plastic!
Bubble Wrap, my friend! Ξ:^)
Bert

mikesul
03-13-13, 10:53 AM
Definitely get a clear bra installed on the front end. I am this week.

AtlantaGuy00
03-13-13, 11:00 AM
Where do you get a clear bra? I've seen them, but have no idea where to get one.

unclemoose
03-13-13, 01:27 PM
They told me they were discontinuing it when I got mine. I love the color and it also makes my combination of Thunder Gray and a manual trans sorta rare, I would guess.

AtlantaGuy00
03-13-13, 02:31 PM
I'm going to look into getting a clear bra. I've done some internet searches for my area and on some of the "high end" boards (Lamborghini, Ferrari) they recommend a place about an hour away. I may give them a try.

AtlantaGuy00
03-13-13, 06:16 PM
LOL Bert you'e right. I love my car, but I did seem to pick the one with all of the issues. Who would have guess that the color I choose would be among them.

----------

Oh BTW, I was at the dealer today and they didn't have any Thunder Gray touch up paint in stock. They are going to order some. My advise would be to order some now if you need that color. Just wait until after I get mine in next week so you don't get the last one! :)

Hoosier Daddy
03-13-13, 07:31 PM
You were lucky to get yours. They happened to be painting my car when they ran out of Thunder Gray and painted the rest of the car blue.

Seriously though, when manufacturers drop a color its because its unpopular OR (like in this case) they can't produce enough of it due to component shortages and cut it off BEFORE they have to paint part of a car another color. That happened with a lot of colors for a lot of brands due to disasters in Japan a while back. You will still be able to get touch up paint or have damage panels repainted. Most of the time the color is reinstated the next model year (unless scheduled to be dropped anyway) when production is picked up or another source comes on line.

bmcleod
03-14-13, 05:12 PM
I have ThunderGray as well and had a Clearbra installed the second week (I do a lot of mountain / snow driving). I'll just give a shout out to B&L Auto Detail in Roseville CA who did a great job on my Clearbra and are very nice people. I was told that GM generically calls ThunderGray "Metalic Kevlar Gray", I ordered some BumperPlugs in this color and they seem to match perfectly - but I don't know that would be the case if just a section of car was re-painted.

Pete7874
03-16-13, 03:21 PM
I just accidentally found out that the premium color, Thunder Gray has been discontinued due to problems importing the pigment.
That's bad news. That was my favorite ATS color.

rustybear3
03-17-13, 12:57 AM
Eh, gray is gray.....I'm sure if it sells, they'll come out with a similar color for the next model year....

AtlantaGuy00
03-17-13, 04:13 PM
Eh, gray is gray.....I'm sure if it sells, they'll come out with a similar color for the next model year.... To you gray is gray, but for me it's getting it right or getting it wrong when the time comes. Don't be so dismissive.

unclemoose
03-19-13, 10:46 AM
I love the color. A grey tri-coat is beautiful with it's shiny clean.

Chuck C
03-19-13, 01:59 PM
Just noticed that TGC was removed as a color choice from the Cadillac.com configurator.

AtlantaGuy00
03-19-13, 04:08 PM
Yes, the problem is that the pigment which creates the chromaflair effect in the gray has been discontinued by the manufacturer. I hope another paint company picks it up. It's a great color. When it's a brilliant sunny day, the car is metallic gray. On overcast days the car is blue and in twilight, the car is green. It's awesome.

turbo2.0
03-23-13, 10:37 PM
I talked with my sales manager and this is normal for the end of a model year, this is why you only see white, black, and silver this time of year.

Pete7874
03-23-13, 10:47 PM
I talked with my sales manager and this is normal for the end of a model year, this is why you only see white, black, and silver this time of year.
It's normal that the color was completely removed from Cadillac's website (ATS configuration tool)??? Why haven't they removed all the other colors then apart from white, black, and sliver?

rustybear3
03-24-13, 05:28 PM
It's normal that the color was completely removed from Cadillac's website (ATS configuration tool)??? Why haven't they removed all the other colors then apart from white, black, and sliver?

Do you think for one minute that Cadillac is doing away with red and gray? You'll see them again next model run in 2014.

Pete7874
03-24-13, 08:25 PM
Sure, but it probably won't be the exact same shade of gray and won't be called thunder gray if they can't source that exact pigment anymore.

unclemoose
03-26-13, 01:51 PM
I may have missed the post in this thread about it, but I just noticed that the premium red is no longer available, as well.