: This f*cking car...

fre1102
03-12-13, 08:37 PM
So when I got the car, I noticed all the screws that held the discs to the hubs were chewed up. I chalked it up to the previous owner being a chowderhead or something.

It's not that.

Does anyone know what size those screws are supposed to be? A T27 is too small and the bit wallows around in the screw and chews up the head. A T30 is too big and won't fit.

I got them all off by hammering a T30 into them and finally getting them off, but there's one that's stuck and I'm going to have to drill it out. I ordered replacements from Luke last week (hopefully they're here soon), but this shouldn't be a sacrificial item.

Does Cadillac have their own Whitworth-like Torx size? Is it not a Torx fastener at all but some proprietary Cadillac fastener? I'd wonder if I have bad tools, but they seem to work on everything else okay.

Seriously, the brakes and hubs on this car are a pain in the ass. Damn.

And for that matter, what happens if I leave them off entirely? The wheel studs should locate the disc radially, and the wheel will hold it axially, I'd think.

darkman
03-12-13, 08:44 PM
You can leave them off. Many aftermarket rotors do not have the holes for them anyway.

fre1102
03-12-13, 08:47 PM
Thank God.

Now I just have to drill that one out.

I'd still like to know the size though. It's making me feel like a moron. It's not a T27, it's not a T30.

Wait...is there a T28 (or T29)? I never thought if that, and I don't see why there wouldn't be. I've just never seen one. My bits, drivers, and handles just go from 27 to 30.

darkman
03-12-13, 09:00 PM
I just checked mine - they are T30.

Also I have two Torx sets and they both have T27 and T30 with nothing in between.

fre1102
03-12-13, 09:06 PM
I wonder if my screws were just so heavily corroded that the Torx bit wouldn't fit in it.

Hm. Either way, those things are gone.

brack86svo
03-12-13, 09:19 PM
There is no such size between t27 and t30. I've never looked at mine but, they could be super torx. Google it and you'll see the difference between torx and super torx. I highly doubt they would be super torx though.

thebigjimsho
03-13-13, 12:25 PM
Douse it with WD-40 first. When using the new screws, just don't worry about putting them on too tight.

rjoffe
03-13-13, 04:22 PM
http://www.loctitefreezeandrelease.com/

fre1102
03-13-13, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I'll do that too. It's always the little things that annoy the most.

fre1102
03-13-13, 07:37 PM
So after Kroil and PB Blaster I ended up drilling it. I dang near got the whole head off before the bit 'bit' and it unscrewed.

Yeah, those (screws) aren't going back on the car.

On the plus side, the wheel is beautifully quiet with the new hub/bearing.

PISNUOFF
03-13-13, 08:19 PM
Why did you need to get it unscrewed if you were replacing the hub? Was it on a different hub than you were replacing?

I use a little anti-seize on the threads and barely tighten them with a 1/4" drive ratchet and my weak side hand.

V for victory
03-13-13, 08:51 PM
The book only calls for 10ft pounds for the T30 set screws !

carlson_mn
03-13-13, 09:03 PM
It is a T30 and yours had some corrosion inside which persuaded you that T27 was the size. Then when force was applied it stripped out. Torx can be deceptive like that.

fre1102
03-13-13, 10:10 PM
Why did you need to get it unscrewed if you were replacing the hub? Was it on a different hub than you were replacing?

The screw was holding the disc to the hub. I was replacing the hub, but keeping the disc.

I use a little anti-seize on the threads and barely tighten them with a 1/4" drive ratchet and my weak side hand.

I have been coating everything on that car with anti-seize. The hub and caliper bolts required a breaker bar to get off. The whole way, not just to loosen initially.

----------

Yeah, it looks like the only reason for the screw at all is to locate the disc while you install the caliper. I didn't look at the backside of the wheel, but I'll bet the wheel is holding the screw in. Even if it was loose, it can't come off the hub.

----------

I figure that's what happened. I couldn't get the T30 in there without a hammer. I think if I ever use them again I'll grease the heads to keep them corrosion-free.