: Side Blind Spot Detection

bravnik
03-12-13, 03:40 PM
Does anyone know what it would take to get SBSD on a non-SBSD equipped ATS? Is it a matter of getting mirrors or a harness or both? I simply can't believe it does not come standard with the Drivers Awareness Package. I really don't think it should be that difficult to do I just can't find any wiring schematics to see how it works on a car with the SBSD and what the difference is. So if anyone has a clue I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

rustybear3
03-16-13, 05:56 PM
I too would love this option....wasn't worth $3000 to get it!

Dave3283
03-16-13, 07:19 PM
I too would love this option....wasn't worth $3000 to get it!

I have this on my Fusion. Was cool at first, but then I set the side mirrors correctly and it has become useless. Adjust mirrors so you can only see side of car when leaning towards mirror and blind spot is gone.

http://www.motoringtv.com/kenzie-s-korner-s11565#Episode_17_-_There_is_no_such_thing_as_a_blind_spot!

Go to 2011 archive

EnvoyBu
07-01-13, 03:28 AM
Bump!

rustybear3
07-02-13, 08:27 AM
I too wish I had the blind zone detector, but like you couldn't see paying an extra $3000 for them. I posted about this previously, and the general consensus is that because of the extra radar units, harneses etc....it would be difficult at best!

EnvoyBu
07-02-13, 04:38 PM
So there is no way to refit it into an ATS without the package?

I still am going to ask the dealer if I can though.

rustybear3
07-02-13, 09:30 PM
So there is no way to refit it into an ATS without the package?

I still am going to ask the dealer if I can though.
I'm sure the dealer will not do it....all the wiring harnesses etc are put on the car during the building of your car.....dealerships are not designed to handle tearing the entire car apart and then charge you a reasonable cost....but by all means, let us know what your dealership says....the cost will be astronomical IMO if they could ....

EnvoyBu
07-03-13, 02:08 AM
Will do. I'll call my salesman tomorrow...

M5eater
07-03-13, 01:48 PM
I'm sure the dealer will not do it....all the wiring harnesses etc are put on the car during the building of your car.....dealerships are not designed to handle tearing the entire car apart and then charge you a reasonable cost....but by all means, let us know what your dealership says....the cost will be astronomical IMO if they could ....

Modern cars are highly specialized for their particular options. People can't even retrofit HID's or the LED fog lamps without major hurdles which I've yet to see someone do besides aftermarket integration. Something as complicated as radar SBSD is far more complex. You're talking at a minimum the radar system, the mirrors, the harness(unless you have an electrical manual for the ATS and can cutup and rewire the existing harness, assuming that's possible) , re flashing the BCM, the button integration to turn it on/off.

If you want these systems, My money is bet on the fact that it would likely cost you less on the depreciation hit to trade in for the car you want with the options than how much it'll cost to integrate into the existing car.

EnvoyBu
07-03-13, 04:16 PM
Dammit... I forgot to call!

pissedoffwookiee
07-03-13, 05:31 PM
Modern cars are highly specialized for their particular options. People can't even retrofit HID's or the LED fog lamps without major hurdles which I've yet to see someone do besides aftermarket integration. Something as complicated as radar SBSD is far more complex. You're talking at a minimum the radar system, the mirrors, the harness(unless you have an electrical manual for the ATS and can cutup and rewire the existing harness, assuming that's possible) , re flashing the BCM, the button integration to turn it on/off.

If you want these systems, My money is bet on the fact that it would likely cost you less on the depreciation hit to trade in for the car you want with the options than how much it'll cost to integrate into the existing car.

I would say this is generally so, but I also know Cadillac makes an add on parking sensor kit for the SRX that integrates with the cars systems, the most invasive part is drilling the holes in the bumper for the sensors